N400fiasco

Electronic I-94 expiration date doesn't match written date in passport

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Parents entered JFK on B1/B2 and the immigration officer put down an admitted until date that was 5 months from date of entry, when we printed the I-94 online, it showed the full 6 months validity. I assume the electronic one takes precedence. They want to stay the full 6 months. Any thoughts? 

Another issue my father's I-94 is tied to his expired passport! My father had the valid visa in his older passport and the IO made an error and issued the I-94 against the expired passport instead of the new one that he also presented. 

In 2 minds on whether to get these corrected. I don't want them to have issues, the next time they travel. Also I don't want the I-94 shortened to 5 months incase they notice that written date in the passport. 

Thoughts? TIA!

N400 filed: Aug 16 2016

N400 approved: Oct 16 2017 (14 months!)

K1 for fiance filed: Oct 19 2017

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Always go with the shortest of:

* passport stamp 

* I-94

* what the alien told the CBPO

Well, said, @Mike E.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Looks like they only get to visit for 5 months or risk never being able to visit again. follow @Mike E recommendation. The I-94 is issued against the passport the visa is in, Why would they issue a I94 to a passport number that does not have a Visa in it? it's a matter of traceability im sure. I traveled to China a few times using the 10 year visa in my expired passport and their version of I-94 was always referenced to the expired passport. I don't think that is an error.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
43 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Looks like they only get to visit for 5 months or risk never being able to visit again. follow @Mike E recommendation. The I-94 is issued against the passport the visa is in, Why would they issue a I94 to a passport number that does not have a Visa in it? it's a matter of traceability im sure. I traveled to China a few times using the 10 year visa in my expired passport and their version of I-94 was always referenced to the expired passport. I don't think that is an error.

Appreciate all the comments. Note that my mother had the same exact case where here visa was in the expired passport but her I-94 is on the new passport! So I am not sure now which is the error :)

I understand being risk averse and stay 5 months, but where else would that be tracked if the electronic version says 6 months?  

Yeah go to a deferred inspection site (there's one at JFK) and have them correct it and clarify which one is the correct one. I'd imagine this was a clerical error, CBP agent messed up adding 6 months to the date and thus cut it exactly a month short. Still, don't assume regarding things that can bite you on the behind.

Edited by Demise

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 hours ago, N400fiasco said:

I understand being risk averse and stay 5 months, but where else would that be tracked if the electronic version says 6 months?  

CBP has its own records. If an officer wrote 5 months on a passport, expect it to be recorded.  If a visitor said the stay would be say 100 days, except that to be recorded.  

At the next attempt to use the visa, if the stay was longer than what the visitor promised or what the stamp allowed, expect difficulties 

Timeline

Hi guys, 

Update! contacted deferred inspection site via email . Explained the issue and got dad's I94 updated to current passport. Also got written confirmation that stamp in passport doesn't matter, the online record is what matters . Here is the response verbatim " It does not matter if the stamp is correct or not. All that matters is the online record, which is correct."  I hope this helps others who may be in a similar situation.  Since I have a written confirmation from an official CBP email address, my parent will stay the extra month!

Appreciate everyone's advice here! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.