2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, michael_n1988 said:

Thanks for explaining 

Yes from what I’m reading it’s not something you can particularly avoid. I can only go to my interview with all my docs, hope and pray I don’t get the 5535. 

Absolutely correct.  It's an unfortunate and unfair worry put on people who are stuck dealing with a challenging consulate to begin with. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
20 hours ago, throwitaway said:

Keep in mind that December are holidays for all the agencies involved. Probably best to wait for January.

I appreciate that advice. I am aware but I’ll still be starting the process in December. Just because we've already waited enough considering that our case was an expedite to begin with. 

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

February 2021 - Sent I-130

July 2021 - Sent expedite request

July 2021 - Approved 

August 2021 - NVC Welcome Letters

November 2021 - NVC requests missing documents

December 2021 - Submitted missing docs to NVC

May 2022  Notice of interview appointment

June 2022 - Interview + put in AP

March 2023 - AP complete + second medical requested by consulate

April 2023 - new medical submitted, visa status changed to issued

May 2023 - Entry into US

Timeline
20 hours ago, throwitaway said:

I’ve been issued thankfully, but had to file WoM.

I’m sorry you had to go through the WoM but still glad you were issued 

when did you file your WoM

Edited by PZibran325

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

February 2021 - Sent I-130

July 2021 - Sent expedite request

July 2021 - Approved 

August 2021 - NVC Welcome Letters

November 2021 - NVC requests missing documents

December 2021 - Submitted missing docs to NVC

May 2022  Notice of interview appointment

June 2022 - Interview + put in AP

March 2023 - AP complete + second medical requested by consulate

April 2023 - new medical submitted, visa status changed to issued

May 2023 - Entry into US

1 hour ago, PZibran325 said:

I’m sorry you had to go through the WoM but still glad you were issued 

when did you file your WoM

I had to file two WoM, it’s a long story and the first lawyer was a real piece of work.

Second lawyer was amazing and I was issued within in a week from filing. Filed September 14, issued by the 21st. I filed an emergency injuction as well because of the first lawyer’s handiwork. Take it from me, choose your lawyer very carefully. 

Edited by throwitaway

Timeline

Question on filling out the DS5535

How accurate do they expect your answers to be? I know it says please answer at the best of your knowledge. It’s really difficult to remember vacations I had 15 years ago without any emails or paper trail, the best I can do is the month and location for anything 10 years or older 

Also for passports you held that’s not in your visa application, do you have to list your old/expired passports that you no longer have? I obviously don’t have those anymore and Canada doesn’t have any service to retrieve them 

1 hour ago, michael_n1988 said:

Question on filling out the DS5535

How accurate do they expect your answers to be? I know it says please answer at the best of your knowledge. It’s really difficult to remember vacations I had 15 years ago without any emails or paper trail, the best I can do is the month and location for anything 10 years or older 

Also for passports you held that’s not in your visa application, do you have to list your old/expired passports that you no longer have? I obviously don’t have those anymore and Canada doesn’t have any service to retrieve them 

The 5535 states:   “If you are unsure of the answer to a question, please provide a response to the best of your knowledge. For example, if you are unsure of an exact address, provide the city, state, and street name if you can recall them. U.S. Department of State will consider all the information derived from the form in its entirety. Failure to answer every question will not necessarily preclude visa issuance, as the application is considered in its entirety.” Aside from that they’re not very transparent about their expectations really. I’ve seen a handful of people being asked to re-do their 5535 because they didn’t include info already disclosed in their DS260, even though the form states NOT to duplicate.

Service Canada provided me a letter listing all my old passports with expiry and everything. It took them two months though. I’ve only seen one person that didn’t include their old passports, and they haven’t come back yet to update their status. 

Also, if you’re asking because you’re filling it out ahead of time, they won’t accept it at interview. They’ll want it as a reply to the email they later send. It’s a good idea though to get it all done beforehand, wish I had thought of that. 

Edited by throwitaway

Timeline
11 minutes ago, throwitaway said:

Also, if you’re asking because you’re filling it out ahead of time, they won’t accept it at interview. They’ll want it as a reply to the email they later send. It’s a good idea though to get it all done beforehand, wish I had thought of that. 

Exactly, just preparing for worst case scenario and avoid delays

thanks for the help

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 10/21/2022 at 1:07 PM, AVrv said:

I have been here for a couple months, reading up on posts, looking for similar situations and for any hope. My status was changed to issued today!!!!! I thought I'd post our timeline in case it may help anyone else.

Aug 11, 2022 - interview in Montreal. Refused due to incorrect police check, given 221 g. Kept my passport. Officer said it would take about a week to send my Visa back once they receive the correct police check.

Sept 13, 2022 - Canada Post Tracking confirmed police check was delivered to the Consulate address

Sept 14, 2022 - Case was updated  but still refused (unsure if because they received the check or because of replying to an email)

I sent two emails requesting confirmation of receipt of documents. They said they cannot confirm, the mail first goes to a sorting facility, then is given to an officer at the Consulate. Thanked me for my patience.

Oct 20, 2022 - status switched to Issued, may take up to 10 business days to receive the Visa.

Wanted to post our journey in case it gives anyone else some idea of what the timelines are looking like. Best of luck to everyone on here waiting. It is not for the faint of heart.

Thanks for sharing this! I am in the same situation but for an original divorce certificate. Interview was Oct 6th and the original divorce certificate arrived at the sorting facility the following day. I also received a similar e-mail reply on Oct 21st in response to an e-mail I submitted alerting them of the document arrival. We had no request for the DS form and no request for additional processing on the 221g. Hoping they will follow a similar timeline, even though I wish there was a more efficient way they could accept a single requested document...

5 hours ago, PNWUnited said:

Thanks for sharing this! I am in the same situation but for an original divorce certificate. Interview was Oct 6th and the original divorce certificate arrived at the sorting facility the following day. I also received a similar e-mail reply on Oct 21st in response to an e-mail I submitted alerting them of the document arrival. We had no request for the DS form and no request for additional processing on the 221g. Hoping they will follow a similar timeline, even though I wish there was a more efficient way they could accept a single requested document...

Montreal takes about six weeks for missing documents, hang in there.

Does anyone know if once you ask them for passport while they are processing the case, 

how much time do they respond and send it back in ? 

I have to travel on December 11th , by when should I ask them for passport to make sure I get it in time. 

I am still wishful they will approve my visa by then

On 10/27/2022 at 11:02 PM, PNWUnited said:

Hopefully yours comes quick! We had to wait for 4 weeks just to get the police certificate. And I agree, too bad you can't just upload or something but they need to see the original documents. I was glad we didn't have to go back to Montreal at least.

On 10/28/2022 at 10:48 PM, Ashley28888 said:

Does anyone know if once you ask them for passport while they are processing the case, 

how much time do they respond and send it back in ? 

I have to travel on December 11th , by when should I ask them for passport to make sure I get it in time. 

I am still wishful they will approve my visa by then

Personally I would ask for it now. Relying on them to send it back in time if you wait last minute could go very wrong.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Non conductive post removed. This is not the place for a political rant. Take it to the appropriate forum.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Memba when... it seemed like so exciting to be looking forward to your interview in Montreal? Then it came and... well I don't remember, how did that feel again?

Timeline
12 hours ago, ice-qube said:

Memba when... it seemed like so exciting to be looking forward to your interview in Montreal? Then it came and... well I don't remember, how did that feel again?

i remember telling my mom we will be celebrating holidays together, thanksgiving, Christmas, etc......that was last year! and it seems like we wont even get to do that this year...

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.