Sarah Chau

Living/working abroad but they are asking for w2 or 1099 form.So lost about submitting documents but I am so close to the interview. Very confused, feeling hopeless!

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hi,

I am in the part of submitting the document portion. They asked for my w2 or 1099 form but I have been working abroad in Taiwan so there's no way I have those forms. I'm wondering what I can do to pass this section. I am feeling helpless and don't know what I should do since i've been in taiwan and have been working here for the past 3 years. 

My joint sponsor has her w2 so I will be able to submit that

I'm wondering if its better if my Taiwanese husband and I just go to america and restart the greencard process there. I just feel like we have been waiting for so long and can't seem to get out of this document portion that is needed. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

First issue is u can not just come to the USA and start the process here

next your income in Taiwan is not considered unless it will continue in the US 

third ,  have u been filing US tax returns while working abroad?  

4th the post says K1 and u say "your Taiwanese husband"

are u married and did the CR1 or single and did the K1

don't refer to him as a husband (to immigration ) if you are not married /  CO officer picks up on that and will say "too married for a fiancee visa"

Timeline

I applied for the k1 visa. I30 form. 

It got sent over to the NVC and they asked for my tax form for the last 3 years. then theres a note asking for w2 for 2020 but I have been working in taiwan for the last 3 years. My taiwanese husband and I are married! I have a joint sponsor too so they also requested her w2 form. I will submit her w2 form but I do not have one so i'm not sure what I should be doing now

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We submitted a letter stating we don’t get w2s in Canada but submitted the equivalent of what Canada has, and submitted that with the IRS transcripts. 

But since we have a joint sponsor we figure we will be ok. Fingers crossed. 

IR1 / IR2  

Canada

June 2022 IR1 - DQ 

Aug 2022 IR2 - DQ

Oct 2022 - Interview

Nov 2022 - Moved to US

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sarah Chau said:

It got sent over to the NVC and they asked for my tax form for the last 3 years. then theres a note asking for w2 for 2020 but I have been working in taiwan for the last 3 years. My taiwanese husband and I are married! I have a joint sponsor too so they also requested her w2 form. I will submit her w2 form but I do not have one so i'm not sure what I should be doing now

Just to be clear, the K-1 visa is a fiancé visa. The I-130 is for spouses and the relevant visa is the CR-1. People file the I-129f for K-1 visas. Just letting you know because using the wrong terminology can cause you to get conflicting answers. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

2 hours ago, Sarah Chau said:

Hi,

I am in the part of submitting the document portion. They asked for my w2 or 1099 form but I have been working abroad in Taiwan so there's no way I have those forms. I'm wondering what I can do to pass this section. I am feeling helpless and don't know what I should do since i've been in taiwan and have been working here for the past 3 years. 

I'm wondering if its better if my Taiwanese husband and I just go to america and restart the greencard process there. I just feel like we have been waiting for so long and can't seem to get out of this document portion that is needed. 

If you feel overwhelmed, spend lots of time reading these forums on all things NVC and consular process threads and can improve your grasp of what is required to satisfy the DQ stage. 
Specific to your circumstances, an explanation for each document ( or lack of) much like @ClemsenC advised. And of course assuming you have already prepared for Intent to Reestablish Domicile in the US. 

If you cannot manage to DIY, you will benefit from hiring an attorney to help you…

Good Luck 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
2 hours ago, Sarah Chau said:

So have you been filing US taxes though these last 3 years? On the I-864 what did you put for your 2022 current income and 2021, 2020 and 2019.
Those fields should be %0 and a statement this is foreign income. If you didn't file you also need to state why you didn't file taxes. If you were required you will have to file before you go any further. Matters not you have a joint sponsor you are the petitioner and things are required from you.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

So I filed the I-130 form for spouses and then after completing that and supplementing all the supporting document it got sent over to the NVC center and then I had to complete form I-864. So they asked me for the past 3 tax years. I have been working in taiwan and every year I file my US and Taiwan taxes. They accepted 2018, 1019 but asked for w2/1099 forms for 2020. 

Sorry for the confusion all the terminology confuses me. So far everything has been accepted, i am just missing the 2020 w2/1099 form which I won't have 

Edited by Sarah Chau
grammatical error

6 hours ago, Sarah Chau said:

Hi,

You need to upload a statement explaining you do not have W2s/1099s because you work overseas. 

We did that and it worked for us.

Can you PLEASE fill out your timeline and profile. This will help you receive accurate answers. 

You can do a search on VJ and find a few examples. 

Edited by ROK2USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
7 hours ago, Sarah Chau said:

My taiwanese husband and I are married!

Then K1 is not the route to go.

1 hour ago, ROK2USA said:

You need to upload a statement explaining you do not have W2s/1099s because you work overseas. 

We did that and it worked for us.

Can you PLEASE fill out your timeline and profile. This will help you receive accurate answers. 

You can do a search on VJ and find a few examples. 

They're married. Only possible path is CR-1 now

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

OP, you said you’re “married”. Are you indeed married? If so, K1 is dead for you. Scratch that over, start with a CR1. The ship has sailed for a K1 if indeed you’re married.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline

sorry I applied for I30 I guess I thought it was k1. sorry about all of the confusion. Here is the timeline! I just need to submit the 2020 tax and I should be done!

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 8.57.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 8.57.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 8.59.06 AM.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.