Mixel96

Denial in first F1 Interview

154 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Michael98 said:

Hello guys,

just to give you a short update: the congressman did his part by reading out to the embassy and trying to put in a good word for me. Obviously he won’t be able to get my record „cleared“. 

His office and the university told me to reapply for a second attempt. My lawyer said it’s also based on the embassy workers personal opinion & mood to a certain degree. I will give it a second try knowing the my changes are not good. 

I want to prepare as best as possible. Would you guys maybe help me out in figuring out my strong ties to Germany? 

I live with my parents as of now and both of them are not healthy anymore. My mom got sick a long time ago and my dad about 5 years ago. I want to go back to them as quick as possible. They’re still doing fine but I still want to care for them long term and for that, I have to be in Germany. Likewise with my grandparents. They live 5min away and are also old and not the healthiest anymore. I have a very strong and close connection to them and once they decide drop the house and move into assisted living (I think that is what it’s called), I will get the house. Furthermore I have the desire to work for Mercedes Benz in the same field my internship was in. This would be possible in a city like 15 mins away as I could apply there. 

what do you guys think ?

Having sick parents is not a strong tie.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We’re you asked about your parents and grandparents in your first interview?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Can you help me with this question in the ds169 form: 

have you ever been denied travel authorization by the department of homeland security through electronic system for travel authorization (ESTA)?

Do I answer yes or no? My ESTA got approved and I only got refused entry at the border. So I guess I have to answer with a „yes“?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Coco8 said:

Having sick parents is not a strong tie.

They aren't sick any more.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

5 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

They aren't sick any more.  

They are. It’s just still Kind if alright. My dad is capable of taking care but the past years he clearly becomes worse with the time. I definitely want to come back to support them in case I can purse my masters. 

my girlfriend is right now here in Germany and really likes it. So we now actually aim to come here after her studies are done. 

also I am about to start or re-start my own small business again. Do you think this would be a strong enough tie when it’s located here in Germany ?

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

We’re you asked about your parents and grandparents in your first interview?

No

4 hours ago, Michael98 said:

Would you guys maybe help me out in figuring out my strong ties to Germany? 

It won't matter much as it doesn't seem like anything substantial has changed with your circumstances since your last application.  The next interviewing officer will have access to the previous officer's notes regarding your visa denial and will mostly be interested in what has changed with your situation since then.  If nothing has changed, they are not likely to overturn the decision of a colleague.  But you are free to try again anyway.  Please report back when you do.  Good luck.

25 minutes ago, Chancy said:

It won't matter much as it doesn't seem like anything substantial has changed with your circumstances since your last application.  The next interviewing officer will have access to the previous officer's notes regarding your visa denial and will mostly be interested in what has changed with your situation since then.  If nothing has changed, they are not likely to overturn the decision of a colleague.  But you are free to try again anyway.  Please report back when you do.  Good luck.

What is supposed to change when you had been refused admission with ESTA ? I can’t to anything really to change that. That’s why I want to prepare as best as possible for other questions. I am hoping that the officer will ask me questions beyond the refused admission incident. This was not the case last time 

30 minutes ago, Michael98 said:

What is supposed to change when you had been refused admission with ESTA ? I can’t to anything really to change that. That’s why I want to prepare as best as possible for other questions. I am hoping that the officer will ask me questions beyond the refused admission incident. This was not the case last time 

I meant what has changed with your life circumstances since your F1 visa denial.  That's what the next interviewing officer will likely be interested in.  That's why previous posters advised you to wait, maybe a year or so, before applying again.  It's unlikely that the visa officer will believe that enough time has passed for there to be significant changes in your life since your previous F1 visa interview.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Michael98 said:

They are. It’s just still Kind if alright. My dad is capable of taking care but the past years he clearly becomes worse with the time. I definitely want to come back to support them in case I can purse my masters. 

OK.  Thanks.  I wish them and you the best of health!!

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

My appointment is this Friday. I did my best to prepare for it together with my lawyer. I only had two meetings with him. There’s still a  major question I would love to have your opinion on. 

I want to make clear that I never had any intentions on working in the US. When I got refused entry while traveling with ESTA back in March, the officer twisted my statements around for the sworn statement. In our initial interview it was more of a informal, general conversation about my theoretical future. Obviously, now I know better that I should never have mentioned anything related to work . In the conversation I specifically mentioned several times that when it comes to employment in the future, it would have to be with the appropriate visa. For example, on campus employment in a Starbucks, which is allowed. 

Now I want to know, what should I reply when the embassy officer asks me a question related to mentioning work in my sworn statement. What do you think is the best possible answer to express that I don’t have any intentions of working and that it was a misunderstanding? Please give me some ideas, I would appreciate it so much. 

Thank you !

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Michael98 said:

and that it was a misunderstanding?

I think that is your only option if the subject is discussed.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
7 hours ago, Michael98 said:

Please give me some ideas

We cannot and should not, in fact, give you “ideas”. The only “idea” is to tell the truth, say it was a misunderstanding, and leave it like that.

In general, one should not offer more information than it is asked.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

So.. I am telling you guys, I got close. 

It went way better than I expected it to go, but still not well enough. The lady was very nice and asked me lots of questions I could easily answer (university choice, career plan, financial support) before she referred to the refused admission with ESTA. She asked me to walk her through it and she showed understanding, which made me feel quite positive. I was prepared to present strong ties and even there her reaction seemed to be „good“. But to finish the interview of, she said: „Oh I see you didn’t mention you already had an appointment in May. I can’t overrule my managers decision, I am sorry“

I mean honestly, this is kind of unfair. I explained the misunderstanding with the refused admission and she showed her understanding for that. The previous denial was solely based on one question the embassy officer asked me: „what happened to Chicago?“

I don’t get it why she did not know from the beginning that this was my second attempt. I don’t blame myself this time because I answered everything well. I guess I’ve got to accept that I won’t get a student visa for wanting to be a student..

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What case do you need a lawyer for?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.