Mixel96

Denial in first F1 Interview

154 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have worked with people who have got MBAs but all of them had several years work experience and I thought they are now a bit passé 

Also my understanding is that it is important where you go, ie choosing it because it is near to GF would be unusual

Not sure I would want to be thinking of a career with a legacy Auto Company ..

There are courses focused on the Auto industry in the UK Coventry I know did. 

I assumed that MB would be looking at the top German Uni’s initially 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 hours ago, Michael98 said:

Okay. Yes this idea was just stupid.

do you guys have any suggestions on how I could make another attempt to obtain my f1? Without sounding or acting   desperate? 

The officer at the embassy today seemed to be at least thinking about providing me the visa. I just need to find a better way to clear out the alleged immigration intent.

Said it already, show compelling evidence why you will return home after the studies have ended. Only you know what your actual ties to home are.

5 hours ago, Michael98 said:

Is there any way to fight the statement? With an appropriate lawyer or the traveler redress inquiry program ?

No.  A lawyer cannot help, because you were rightly denied for immigrant intent.

CO/CBP are required by US law to evaluate all applications for nonimmigrant visas/admissions through the lens of immigrant intent.  Your ties to home were not strong enough to overcome that.

my evidence would be that me and my girlfriend agreed to move to Germany after I complete my masters degree. Further I have a strong social life with engagements  in a soccer club. All of my family is also here and we are very close. My mom and dad are not in a good shape health wise, so I want to support them again as soon as possible. Also I want to use my degree to apply at Mercedes-Benz where I had an internship and they are located here. It’s my dream position and going for an international master is benefiting me for that

None of these are strong ties.

I want to consult my lawyer starting next week and see what he suggests me to do. As long as I don’t feel confident in providing new circumstances I won’t reapply. 

do you think it would be a good idea to list the university campus as a „home adress“ while staying in the US instead of my girlfriends house? If they ask me why I changed it, I would say we broke up. 

Wow.  You are really, really desperate to get to the US.  Now even contemplating lying on a form?

Okay. But there are lots of people who receive their F1 in their second, third or even fourth/fifth attempt. Don’t you think I can work on building a strong case on why I will go back to Germany as soon as studies are completed and then have a go again ? I’ve read a lot that is sometimes also based on luck with the officers you have the interview with. Because in the end, their review is totally subjective..

It is not subjective.  It is based on LAW.  "Lots of people"?  I haven't seen that to be the case in the years I've been reading VJ.  Unless your circumstances change markedly (i.e. you suddenly develop much stronger ties to home), the outcomes of subsequent interviews will not be different.

And believe it or not, COs/CBP take notes and everything you have submitted or said are part of your record.

2 hours ago, Michael98 said:

It’s not hard to enter Germany I can assure you that

I'm sure that if someone wishes to enter Germany with intentions that are outside the scope of their visa terms, they would have a similar experience to yorus.

Okay. But there are lots of people who receive their F1 in their second, third or even fourth/fifth attempt. Don’t you think I can work on building a strong case on why I will go back to Germany as soon as studies are completed and then have a go again ? I’ve read a lot that is sometimes also based on luck with the officers you have the interview with. Because in the end, their review is totally subjective..

Like where? This is not true.

You can also do a graduate degree in your country and meet your GF somewhere else for a holiday. Get a good job that's related to what you want to do.

Also, where is your program in the US? What place on the ranking does this university have? I think you should ask your program to be postponed for a year, but only if it's a good university. If this is a shady university or too low ranked, you don't have a chance to get a visa next year. And choosing a university based on location is just dumb.  

You also say you want to do an MBA. What does have to do with working at Mercedes Benz? 

Education programs that make no sense with your previous experience or goals are not going to get you an F1 visa. People usually need a few years of experience before doing an MBA because it is useless for people who just graduated from undergrad. So that's already a red flag in terms of the ranking of the program.

Quora is a mess and lots of misinformation there. I don't know why you are reading that.

Your big issue was giving information that did not answer the questions when you traveled to the US. You gave too much unnecessary information. Also, I'm guessing you traveled way too soon after your exchange problem. You have to space visa applications and travel way more. 

Edited by Coco8

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, Michael98 said:

I want to work at Daimler Mercedes Benz and even the colleagues I know there from my internship told me, an MBA is great idea for me.

https://www.insead.edu/master-programmes/mba

INSEAD in Fontainebleau, France, offers one of the best international MBA programs in the world, ranked #3 by Financial Times this year, attracting students from around the globe.  If you have the bachelor's degree grades and GMAT score to get accepted, you can advance your career and significantly increase your chances of working with Daimler MB after completing the MBA if that's what you really want to do.  I would think any American girlfriend who is seriously interested in a relationship with you would love to spend a year in France while you complete your degree and then move to Stuttgart with you.  All the best, I'm out of ideas to help you.

My suggestion would be that you should probably focus on your relationship with your girlfriend and have her come out and visit you several times, see where things go and whether a future with her and you in the US would be viable someday. Non-immigrant options are out for the long-haul I'm afraid. I think a lot of folks get married here, perhaps earlier than what would be considered 'normal' in a relationship in order to get the ball rolling on the lengthy process that is US Immigration.

Me and my husband wanted to have a family gathering for our wedding and spend more time dating, but with a pandemic on the horizon and borders beginning to be slammed shut around the world, we ended up getting married quite quickly and have an informal ceremony down the line once things settle down and finances permit. Absolutely nothing wrong with doing that.

But, I do offer a cautionary word of wisdom, if you are getting married earlier than planned, do give it extensive thought and discussion between the two of you, it's far easier to get married than get divorced, and those can be real messy.

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Generally the way to do this is : (substitute any target firm for Daimler as necessary)

- get a job at Daimler Benz (you interned there if I read right, so they know you, you have contacts right?)

- show you have management potential /move up within the organization over a few years 

- that management potential/regular promotions will both impress Daimler and the MBA admissions committee 

- Get Daimler to pay for or at least part subsidize your MBA - many top MBAs are priced exactly for this to be the case (my sister is currently doing an mba at a top 10 US business school and her company is paying a large chunk of it)

- you will be expected to work for them for x years to pay back so voila, not only do you have your admit + funding for the mba in hand (should you decide to still do it in the US) but you also have your ties to go back home

Also, as pointed out above, Europe has some excellent MBAs programs. Apart from Insead, off the top of my head UK has Cambridge Judge, Oxford Said and LBS; France also has HEC, and Spain has IE, Esade and IESE. All generally ranked in the top 20 globally. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

On 5/20/2022 at 7:19 PM, aaron2020 said:

Sorry that it's not clear to you why you are not eligible for a student visa.  It's clear to us and we have tried to explain it to you.

Your interpretation that your comment was taken out of context.  You don't seem to understand that your comment mattered.  And it wasn't just one statement.  You signed a legal document. Did you forget that?

Germany is incredibly hard to enter.  I can assure you of that.  I have a niece that had to learn German in order to immigrate there to live with her German husband.  The US does not require anyone to know English in order to immigrate to the US through a family member.  Life experience. 

Don't presume that you know your country's immigration laws.  Most Americans don't know US immigration laws. 

We've seen people like you who think that the only way to learn something is to be denied a visa to the US.  You've could have done some research beforehand and learned from others who went before you - old people.  

Good luck.  Do what you think is best for you.  

Are you an engineer?  You sound like one.  

Of course I should have informed myself more. In hindsight you're always smarter. When I had my J-1 everything went so smoothly without any complications. I even reentered the U.S. after going to Germany for Christmas and just came back for the Grace Period in order to be with my girlfriend. The border officer was happy to let me in. 

I just did some research before I travelled with ESTA by the end of march. I know that I wasn't allowed to work while being on ESTA. What I did not know was, that you are not allowed to mention anything related to future plans for the U.S. Even mentioning a potential master's program is already wrong. I wish I would have just asked the simple question on what to look out for in this forum. 

I am not an engineer, no. 

On 5/20/2022 at 7:23 PM, Villanelle said:

Again it won't "affect" in the sense it won't 100% prevent or bar you from receiving a future visa. 

Yes, it was misleading and you are not the first to complain about such and surely won't be the last. CBP often takes advantage of the fact that you are tired and being detained and under stress to pressure you into signing things. 

I assume you have a copy of the statement since you posted what appears to be snippets from it earlier.  Since you seem to be determined to apply again I imagine your best chance would be to speak with an attorney.  Have them review your statement and prepare a rebuttal of sorts outlining what was taken out of context and attempt to clarify it.

Most likely it will be denied again but you never know.  I get the feeling you want to try again and won't be satisfied until you do so go ahead and try again. Perhaps once it's denied a second time you will accept it and start exploring other options as others have been suggesting. 

I already have an appointment with an attorney from the U.S. on Tuesday. I'll look if he can prepare sth like that and then try again. 

And again, I acknowledged all your comments and I see what I did wrong and how it is just the law that I most likely won't be able to study in the U.S.

Still, I feel misunderstood and not guilty of the accused intention. My main intention is getting the degree at the University where I had a really valuable time last Fall. I just enjoyed it so much and that is my dream. Being able to stay at my GF's place would be a good bonus. Believe it or not, our intention is to go to Germany together because our programs would end simultaneously. She visited me already here and really liked it so that is our plan. And that is mainly why I feel like I deserve this VISA. I was in that homeland security office for 4 hours straight, alone with 3-4 officers in the same room. I was traveling for 14+ hours and getting pressured into saying my statements in a different context under oath. When I asked to rewatch the video tape because I felt I did not say it the way the officer reworded it, he was just shaking his head and telling me that I would miss my flight back if we don't hurry up. It would just be nice if the human side had a bigger influence here. 

On 5/20/2022 at 8:25 PM, Boiler said:

I have worked with people who have got MBAs but all of them had several years work experience and I thought they are now a bit passé 

Also my understanding is that it is important where you go, ie choosing it because it is near to GF would be unusual

Not sure I would want to be thinking of a career with a legacy Auto Company ..

There are courses focused on the Auto industry in the UK Coventry I know did. 

I assumed that MB would be looking at the top German Uni’s initially 

I had several career counseling meetings and spoke with administrative people from the MBA program. There are many business administrations majors who pursue an MBA right after their bachelors degree. But you're right, its also directed towards people who have work experience in a different area/field.

I am not choosing this particular university because it is near to my GF. I am choosing It because I already spent a semester abroad their. I am more of an introverted person and I wouldn't need much time to settle in there. I know how things go there and like the concept of 7 week courses each term. 

Furthermore I spoke with my girlfriends brother, he works at a huge financial company in St. Louis, MO. He clearly suggested me to choose the MBA over the Marketing Communications program I also got admitted for. Its a highly renown degree and more accepted. Gives you flexibility for later career stages when you consider different fields within a company. Moreover I talked with my contacts at MB and they told me likewise- choose the MBA. It adds perfectly to my resume with good internships and international experience. 

On 5/20/2022 at 9:50 PM, Coco8 said:

Like where? This is not true.

You can also do a graduate degree in your country and meet your GF somewhere else for a holiday. Get a good job that's related to what you want to do.

Also, where is your program in the US? What place on the ranking does this university have? I think you should ask your program to be postponed for a year, but only if it's a good university. If this is a shady university or too low ranked, you don't have a chance to get a visa next year. And choosing a university based on location is just dumb.  

You also say you want to do an MBA. What does have to do with working at Mercedes Benz? 

Education programs that make no sense with your previous experience or goals are not going to get you an F1 visa. People usually need a few years of experience before doing an MBA because it is useless for people who just graduated from undergrad. So that's already a red flag in terms of the ranking of the program.

Quora is a mess and lots of misinformation there. I don't know why you are reading that.

Your big issue was giving information that did not answer the questions when you traveled to the US. You gave too much unnecessary information. Also, I'm guessing you traveled way too soon after your exchange problem. You have to space visa applications and travel way more. 

Hello,

I got accepted by this university and want to study there. What's the problem with that? Im sure it can be postponed. 

My former colleagues at MB and my boss told me to go for this degree. Why would I not at least consider it then? You do not need multiple years of work experience for an MBA to make sense. In this regard you are not well enough informed. I spoke to career advisors from my university in Germany & the U.S. and they all suggested the MBA for me instead of a program focused on ;arketing only. Marketing & Sales was my main field during my bachelors degree and that's where my passion lies.

I just saw questions on Quora related to the F-1 Visa interview and lots of people mentioned that they got accepted in their second or third attempt. 

And yes, I know. I regret that and feel miserable about myself everyday since. I thought I had everything planned out perfectly but I messed up. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.