vilmj

Dating while separated

26 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

What is USCIS’ view on dating while separated? This is an informal separation. I petitioned for my first spouses green card which was approved without delays or RFE’s in 2008. They are now a US citizen. Things went downhill afterwards, keep in mind we’d been together since 2003. We informally separated 2011 and finalized our divorce in February 2012. I met my current spouse in 2011 while separated and married August 2012. We are just now applying for their green card. They currently have DACA. I’m stressing over the overlap in relationships. Anyone with a similar story?

** posted for a friend. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
9 minutes ago, vilmj said:

What is USCIS’ view on dating while separated? This is an informal separation. I petitioned for my first spouses green card which was approved without delays or RFE’s in 2008. They are now a US citizen. Things went downhill afterwards, keep in mind we’d been together since 2003. We informally separated 2011 and finalized our divorce in February 2012. I met my current spouse in 2011 while separated and married August 2012. We are just now applying for their green card. They currently have DACA. I’m stressing over the overlap in relationships. Anyone with a similar story?

** posted for a friend. 

If your friend can create an account here and post the questions by themselves that will great. How did the current DACA spouse enter the country?

Timeline
11 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

If your friend can create an account here and post the questions by themselves that will great. How did the current DACA spouse enter the country?

They entered illegally at 7 years old. They will do consular process in Mexico. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~One non conductive post removed Stick to answering the OP's questions~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
32 minutes ago, vilmj said:

They entered illegally at 7 years old. They will do consular process in Mexico. 

Ok. Seems you are already aware they'll have to interview in Mexico. As far as the 2nd marriage is considered you can petition 2nd spouse; overlap shouldn't be that of a concern but the 2nd petition could attract extra scrutiny.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Family said:

She does not need to do Consular. As DACA, she applies for Advance Parole, go out for the day, comes back and she can file I-485 here. 

Well I was skeptical.  I did my own research and it turns out you are 100 percent correct. 

What an incredible loop hole.  

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Family said:

She does not need to do Consular. As DACA, she applies for Advance Parole, go out for the day, comes back and she can file I-485 here. 

Actually, this is not entirely correct either. It all depends when they applied for DACA. If they accrued unlawful stay in US after age 18 before applying for DACA, they can't use the advanced parole route. They'll need a waiver.

Timeline
50 minutes ago, Family said:

Are you DIY ing this , notario or attorney?

The overlap romance is not an issue…glad you waited a minute to remarry! 

Thank you. They looked into Advance Parole but it is limited to certain scenarios and none apply. They are using a lawyer and it must be done via Consular Process. Lawyer wasn’t too concerned with the overlap either but they just wanted to check with others who’ve had similar timelines/experiences.

Edited by vilmj

Actually, this is not entirely correct either. It all depends when they applied for DACA. If they accrued unlawful stay in US after age 18 before applying for DACA, they can't use the advanced parole route. They'll need a waiver.

Not true. Travel on Advance Parole does not trigger a re-entry bar even if you have unlawful presence as per Matter of Arrabally (BIA, 2012). So the travel doesn't trigger a re-entry bar (which would require a waiver) and grants them a lawful parole in the understanding of INA 245(a) which is a prerequisite for AOS. Unlawful presence also isn't a factor for adjustment of status via marriage to a US Citizen as per INA 245(c)(2).

When you got DACA comes into play for cases when you cannot adjust in US after being in US illegally (basically anything aside marriage to USC, being the parent of a USC over 21, or being an unmarried child under 21 of USC, VAWA, SIJ, and a few special categories), which means that you can only do consular processing, then whether or not you will need a waiver depends on when you got DACA (under 18 + 180 days old - no, above - yes). This is for example how David Dobrick got his green card, he got DACA while under 18, then he did either EB-1 or EB-5, had no unlawful presence so he just left and did consular processing for it with no need for a waiver.

Edited by Demise

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

1 minute ago, vilmj said:

Thank you. They looked into Advance Parole but it is limited to certain scenarios and none apply. They are using a lawyer and it must be done via Consular Process. 

They looked in the wrong places…and whatever “ scenarios “ was told them , I don’t care to guess. 
Hopefully not involving a pricey I-601 A..and of course no ULP after 18 .
Why is the attorney not certain on the romance angle/ overlap ? 

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Demise said:

Not true. Travel on Advance Parole does not trigger a re-entry bar even if you have unlawful presence as per Matter of Arrabally (BIA, 2012). So the travel doesn't trigger a re-entry bar (which would require a waiver) and grants them a lawful parole in the understanding of INA 245(a) which is a prerequisite for AOS. Unlawful presence also isn't a factor for adjustment of status via marriage to a US Citizen as per INA 245(c)(2).

When you got DACA comes into play for cases when you cannot adjust in US after being in US illegally (basically anything aside marriage to USC, being the parent of a USC over 21, or being an unmarried child under 21 of USC, VAWA, SIJ, and a few special categories), which means that you can only do consular processing, then whether or not you will need a waiver depends on when you got DACA (under 18 + 180 days old - no, above - yes). This is for example how David Dobrick got his green card, he got DACA while under 18, then he did either EB-1 or EB-5, had no unlawful presence so he just left and did consular processing for it with no need for a waiver.

Does matter of Arrabally apply in all situations where intending immigrant is married to USC or only in situations where Adjustment of status is in play?

So let's say someone entered illegally, accrued 10 years unlawful presence after age 18+. Married a USC. Applied for I-130 and AP without adjusting. Travelled on AP. Will Arrabally apply in this situation?

Edited by nastra30

So let's say someone entered illegally, accrued 10 years unlawful presence after age 18+. Married a USC. Applied for I-130 and AP without adjusting. Travelled on AP. Will Arrabally apply in this situation?

You realize no I-131 possible for I-130 .. without I-485 ….so not following the theoretical.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.