Kanja

Refusal for Name change on social security card

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Sierra Leone
Timeline

Hello All,

been quite a while.

hope everyone is well. I had some questions about the social security card process as my sister in law has immigrated on a k1 visa through my brother.

She applied and received a social security card shortly after she arrived in the USA. 

yesterday she had an apppintment to change her last name, she had her marriage certificate with her. The agent told her she can’t change her name until she receives her green card with her new name on it.

this doesn’t seem right, but she was by herself and didn’t feel empowered to advocate for herself so she left.

is this accurate? If not, what is the right protocol? If this happens again what should she do or what should she do when she makes the next appointment. By the way, when making the appointment she was only told to bring the marriage certificate and application and social security card. 

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-16

NVC Received : 2009-09-22

Consulate Received : 2009-09-28

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-14

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

~ Topic moved from K1 Fiancé Visa forum to SSN forum ~

If you search VJ, you will see many threads discussing this very issue and how SSA refuses to change the name until either EAD or GC was shown along the marriage certificate. I didn’t even bother going to SSA office after I got married, I went after receiving my GC. You friend should wait until she receives either and then go again.

Timeline

Thanks so much!

so frustrating especially with wait times of green card. 

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
51 minutes ago, Kanja said:

Thanks so much!

so frustrating especially with wait times of green card. 

But, had she waited, she might not have gotten a SS number for many. many months.  She did the right thing by applying for her SSN right after arrival.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Good point. We pushed to get that appointment 

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

9 hours ago, Kanja said:

Hello All,

been quite a while.

hope everyone is well. I had some questions about the social security card process as my sister in law has immigrated on a k1 visa through my brother.

She applied and received a social security card shortly after she arrived in the USA. 

yesterday she had an apppintment to change her last name, she had her marriage certificate with her. The agent told her she can’t change her name until she receives her green card with her new name on it.

this doesn’t seem right, but she was by herself and didn’t feel empowered to advocate for herself so she left.

is this accurate? If not, what is the right protocol? If this happens again what should she do or what should she do when she makes the next appointment. By the way, when making the appointment she was only told to bring the marriage certificate and application and social security card. 

I had the same thing happening to me. However the agent then found a field that says "other names" and he updated it that way and I got my SSN card with the date of my marriage. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, little immigrant said:

I had the same thing happening to me. However the agent then found a field that says "other names" and he updated it that way and I got my SSN card with the date of my marriage. 

Oh wow- good to know 

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Same for me, I updated my name when I received my EAD (that way I had an ID in my new name, and that's what SSA wanted to see, marriage certificate only wasn't enough apparently). Wasn't a problem for me, my SSN was still valid and very useful for all purposes before AND after my name change. 💁‍♀️

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
50 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Same for me, I updated my name when I received my EAD (that way I had an ID in my new name, and that's what SSA wanted to see, marriage certificate only wasn't enough apparently). Wasn't a problem for me, my SSN was still valid and very useful for all purposes before AND after my name change. 💁‍♀️

Thank you! 

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

19 hours ago, Kanja said:

Hello All,

been quite a while.

That is the process in most ss office, i did the same thing. Got my ssn before get married then when i got my green card i went back to change my name

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Work permit September2018

Aos approved July 24, 2019.

Roc April 27, 2021

Biometric reused june 28, 2021

N-400 online April 27, 2022 base on 3 years rule, biometric reused.

N-400 interview on December 12, 2022 combo interview i-751. Approved.

January 11, 2023 oath ceremony, Indianapolis. After that done with uscis😂🤭🤫

I took my oath ceremony in Indianapolis, it was a nice ceremony, where people from 35 coutry become american citizen.

01/11/2023 officially done with uscis :)

🤣

January 13, 2023 apply for us passport.( regular service).

March 11, 2023 passport in hand

On 4/1/2022 at 6:35 AM, Kanja said:

Hello All,

been quite a while.

This is wrong. Marriage Cert allows you to change to married name. We did it. Passport and green card in maiden name. State ID and SSN in married name. 

Timeline
12 hours ago, Scandi said:

1 hour ago, Bob in Boston said:

This is wrong. Marriage Cert allows you to change to married name. We did it. Passport and green card in maiden name. State ID and SSN in married name. 

That’s what I thought, Bob. Is there something we can cite when trying to do this again? You get different information depending on who you speak to. Thanks.

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

42 minutes ago, Kanja said:

Is there something we can cite when trying to do this again?

In Mass on the Marriage Certificate it says name to be taken after marriage.... What does yours say. Immigration does not make you change to your married name. Only difference here I see is you changed your Passport Name. I would point to that. Tell them you would like a second opinion from a supervisor. Have them show you the rule in writing that says green card has to match the married name. Like I said, we did it. And when We got green card we changed the social security card to get rid of work authorized only buy DHS logo and got a clear SS card in her married name. You also need to change it for tax purposes.

Timeline

Bob, interestingly enough- they got married in Mass. 😀, so it says the same thing.

good idea about asking for a supervisor. Unfortunately they don’t let me or her husband in the office with her because of these Covid rules and she is intimidated to ask for supervisor etc- but I will continue to coach her on these things. 

4 minutes ago, Bob in Boston said:

In Mass on the Marriage Certificate it says name to be taken after marriage.... What does yours say. Immigration does not make you change to your married name. Only difference here I see is you changed your Passport Name. I would point to that. Tell them you would like a second opinion from a supervisor. Have them show you the rule in writing that says green card has to match the married name. Like I said, we did it. And when We got green card we changed the social security card to get rid of work authorized only buy DHS logo and got a clear SS card in her married name. You also need to change it for tax purposes.

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

3 minutes ago, Kanja said:

good idea about asking for a supervisor. Unfortunately they don’t let me or her husband in the office with her because of these Covid rules and she is intimidated to ask for supervisor etc- but I will continue to coach her on these things. 

SS says they are going to be open as normal again in April. We went to the Norwood Ma Office if thats any help. Their Marriage Cert is a legal name change.

Need to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card?Social Security Matters (ssa.gov)

Edited by Bob in Boston

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.