Sonal

221(g) refusal - Reestablishing Domicile - Documentation drop off and appointment query

8 posts in this topic

My husband (the applicant) had his IR1 interview in Mumbai and received a 221g letter asking for submission of additional documents to prove that I intend to reestablish domicile in the US. (I have been living in India for a few years.)

We live in New Delhi and planned to drop the documents and passport, as requested in the 221g letter there. 

However when we make an appointment with the VAC on US Travel Docs, we have to select a date for the appointment and the location by default is Mumbai.

We are confused. Do we drop the documents (and passport?) in Delhi? Do we need to travel with them to Mumbai again? What is a "Follow Up Appointment" and do we need to submit additional documents there or to a drop box anywhere beforehand?

I've seen a few queries like this here. Would appreciate any help.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
16 hours ago, Sonal said:

My husband (the applicant) had his IR1 interview in Mumbai and received a 221g letter asking for submission of additional documents to prove that I intend to reestablish domicile in the US. (I have been living in India for a few years.)

We live in New Delhi and planned to drop the documents and passport, as requested in the 221g letter there. 

However when we make an appointment with the VAC on US Travel Docs, we have to select a date for the appointment and the location by default is Mumbai.

We are confused. Do we drop the documents (and passport?) in Delhi? Do we need to travel with them to Mumbai again? What is a "Follow Up Appointment" and do we need to submit additional documents there or to a drop box anywhere beforehand?

Follow the instructions given to him at the end of the interview.  What were those instructions?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

19 hours ago, Sonal said:

Yeah you (USC) are going to need to provide evidence either that you have not abandoned domicile or you are in the process of re-establishing it.

The evidence goes to the embassy who interviewed your husband.

Edited by iwannaplay54

22 hours ago, Sonal said:

What is a "Follow Up Appointment"

A second interview to find out whether you are approved or denied.

On 3/19/2022 at 3:48 AM, pushbrk said:

Follow the instructions given to him at the end of the interview.  What were those instructions?

The instructions were to drop off additional docs and passport at any of the collection centers. It also said you cannot drop documents without first scheduling a VAC appointment. So we scheduled an appointment, choosing Delhi as the document drop location, but before confirming, the location "Post" defaults to Mumbai. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
On 3/20/2022 at 11:52 AM, Sonal said:

The instructions were to drop off additional docs and passport at any of the collection centers. It also said you cannot drop documents without first scheduling a VAC appointment. So we scheduled an appointment, choosing Delhi as the document drop location, but before confirming, the location "Post" defaults to Mumbai. 

Don't know what to tell you.  Never heard of dropping off anything for an immigrant visa anyplace but the place of interview.  How about actually quoting the instructions. Perhaps there are different instructions depending on context and they are all part of the same document.  Usually, you don't drop off anymore, unless it's your passport.  You upload documents requested at interview to CEAC.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.