kryptonite

Filing Canadian Taxes with American Spouse

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I apologize if this is a duplicate topic. I read through multiple threads regarding taxes and although there was a lot, I couldn't seem to find one that was similar to my situation.

Quick facts:

• This is regarding my taxes for 2020 as I did not file last year
  • I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada and my wife is an American citizen living in the US
  • I live in Ontario
  • My wife is sponsoring me to the US and our case is currently at the NVC 
  • We got married February 14, 2020.
  • We do not have any children
  • We do not receive financial support from the government

I am using Wealthsimple Tax (I believe previously it was called SimpleTax). These are some questions it asks me regarding my spouse:

• Do you want to prepare your returns together? No.
  • Did you live together for all of 2020? No. (I lived in Canada and she lived in the US)
  • Did you live together on December 31, 2020? No.
  • While living apart did you support (or were you being supported by) your spouse? No.
  • Was your spouse a non-resident on December 31, 2020? Yes.
  • Did you live in separate principal residences or medical reasons? No.
  • Was your spouse confined to a prison? No.

When I scroll down the website as I'm filling in all the details, it says that I cannot claim the Ontario Trillium Benefit unless I report my partner's income. I have checked the box that says that I won't report her income. When I uncheck it (as in I will report her income), I get the questions in the attached image:

image.png.50a5808a437ce3e271e0d3dd140d258a.png

I do not know how to fill in these details as she lives and works in the US and earns her income in the US. 

Hoping someone can help me with this if they have gone through a similar process. 

Thanks a bunch!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Are you talking about your Canadian taxes or US taxes?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

This looks like Canadian taxes.  Perhaps it would be better if moved to the Canada regional forum.  You can ask a mod to move it by clicking "report post" and entering the request in the comments.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I have moved this thread to the Canada regional forum.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If it were me, I'd be reporting them all as $0.  You already said she's in the US so she doesn't have Canadian income, nor does she qualify for any Canadian pension or benefits and you have no kids.  

When you look at the note for the asterisk next to net income, what does it say?

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

40 minutes ago, mam521 said:

If it were me, I'd be reporting them all as $0.  You already said she's in the US so she doesn't have Canadian income, nor does she qualify for any Canadian pension or benefits and you have no kids.  

When you look at the note for the asterisk next to net income, what does it say?

The asterisk next to net income is just saying that the field needs to be filled but, when I hover over it - it says "This is the amount on line 23600 of your partner's return, or the amount it would be if they filed a return."

The "?" next to "Click here if you won't report income" says that "If you don't report our partner's income, you can't claim credits that are based on family income. These include: the working income tax benefit, the spousal amount, pension splitting, and provincial credits (like the Ontario Trillium benefit)."

I would like to claim the Ontario Trillium benefit but, it won't let me if I don't fill out my wife's income. But, I don't know how to fill it out if all her income is in the US. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Find a cross border accountant.  When you move, you're going to need one anyway.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.