Jose Campos

Local Social Security Office does not want to give my US Citizen child a SSN

59 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jose Campos said:

Why the social security office is making a hard time to get my child a SSN?

SSO is giving hard time to lots of people these days.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Just now, milimelo said:

Go through Costa Rica unit for SSN. Plenty of CRBA applicants get SSN issued overseas (local embassy unit corresponds with SSA to get it). 

This is what I though but in Lima Peru, at the US Embassy the consul told me that I could easily apply for my child's SSN here in the United States with my child's CRBA and US Passport to save some time. Should I go to costa rica? only option?

2 minutes ago, Jose Campos said:

This is what I though but in Lima Peru, at the US Embassy the consul told me that I could easily apply for my child's SSN here in the United States with my child's CRBA and US Passport to save some time. Should I go to costa rica? only option?

Don't pack your bags just yet! Email the provided email address (first page) first to see what steps are needed from your side to get the SS number. Explain the reasoning why it's needed and let them guide you through. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

18 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Don't pack your bags just yet! Email the provided email address (first page) first to see what steps are needed from your side to get the SS number. Explain the reasoning why it's needed and let them guide you through. 

I am giving up for now.

Thank you guys for all your replies. 

I called social security office several times and they all said, child is not eligible for a SSN because child is not here in the US and  because child don't live with me.

Edited by Jose Campos

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 hours ago, Jose Campos said:

This is what the instructions says for an SSN Application for a child.

At a Social Security office: If you wait to apply for your child’s number, you must:
• Complete an application for a Social Security card. 
(I already completed the application)

• Show us original documents proving your child’s: —U.S. citizenship. —Age. —Identity.
(I have my child's original CRBA document and US Passport)

Show us documents proving your identity and your relationship to your child.
(I currently have a copy of a birth certificate that was issued at Lima, Peru. Don't have the original.)

Anyone age 12 or older who requests an original Social Security number must appear in person for an interview. This applies even if a parent or guardian will sign the application on the child’s behalf.
(Child is 5 months old so to my understanding child does not have to be physically present at the appointment.)

Citizenship We can accept only certain documents as proof of U.S. citizenship. These include a:
• U.S. birth certificate.
• U.S. consular report of birth.
• U.S. passport.
• Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship.

(I have my child's US Passport and Consular Report of Birth.)

Last part of the instructions:

If your child was born outside the United States, you need to present your child’s foreign birth certificate.
If you have one or can get a copy within 10 business days. If you can’t get it, we may be able to accept your child’s:
• Certificate of Birth Abroad (FS-545).
• Certificate of Report of Birth (DS-1350).
• Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240).
(This is what I currently have, original, consular report of birth abroad)
• Certificate of Naturalization.
• Passport.
(I also have my child's US Passport).

Identity Your child:
We can accept only certain documents as proof of your child’s identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your child’s name, identifying information, and preferably, a recent photograph. We generally can accept a non-photo identity document if it has enough information to identify the child. Information may include the child’s name and age, date of birth, 4 (over) or parents’ names. We prefer to see the child’s U.S. passport. If that document isn’t available, we may accept the child’s:
• State-issued non-driver identification card.
• Adoption decree. • Doctor, clinic, or hospital record.
• Religious record. • School or daycare center record.
• School identification card.

You: If you’re a U.S. citizen, Social Security will ask to see your U.S. driver’s license, state-issued non-driver identification card, or U.S. passport as proof of your identity. If you don’t have these specific documents, we’ll ask to see other documents that may be available, such as:
(I am the US Citizen father of my child, and I currently have my US Passport and state issued non driver identification card)

• Employee identification card.
• School identification card.
• Health insurance card (not a Medicare card).
• U.S. military identification card.
• Life insurance policy.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We can’t accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. We may use one document for two purposes. For example, we may use your child’s passport as proof of both citizenship and identity. Or, we may use your child’s birth certificate as proof 5 of age and citizenship. However, you must provide at least two separate documents.

Can someone please help me determine if my child is eligible for a social security number? I am guiding myself with the instructions provided by the social security application.

None of what you posted says the child can apply if he/she is outside the US currently.  To be fair, it does not state the child has to be in the US either. 

The phrase about the child being born abroad does not necessarily mean they can still live abroad and apply.  It just states if the child is born abroad the extra documents you need with the SS5.

9 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

None of what you posted says the child can apply if he/she is outside the US currently.  To be fair, it does not state the child has to be in the US either. 

The phrase about the child being born abroad does not necessarily mean they can still live abroad and apply.  It just states if the child is born abroad the extra documents you need with the SS5.

In other words, I need to bring my child here to the United States in order to apply for her SSN?

The reason why my child is not here yet is because she is still a 5 month baby, and I haven't petition or sponsor for her mom to get a green card yet.

I know I can bring my child here with me with the mother's written permission but I am not sure if I need legal custody of the child in order to get her a SSN Card.

6 hours ago, Jose Campos said:

This is my situation, my child is 5 months old and was born abroad, in Lima Peru. I am a naturalized US Citizen living here in the United States for over 20 years and I did all the paperwork in order for my child to acquire US Citizen, after a few weeks I was able to receive my child’s US Passport and Consular Report of birth abroad. 

I never applied for a social security number for my child since the US Embassy at Lima, Peru told me that they do not provide that service anymore.

I came back to the United States with my child’s US Passport and Consular Report and I called my local social security office and they asked what is the purpose of getting a social security number if the child currently lives abroad with mom? I answered that is my child’s right to have a social security number as a US Citizen and that mom cannot travel to the US because I haven't petition for her yet.

At the end of the call with my local social security office, they said that they won’t be able to provide me with an appointment since the child is not here in the United States, they also asked for the original birth certificate and immunization records, I told them that the only original documents that I have is the consular report abroad and US Passport and I believe those are the only required documents.

Can anyone guide me what should I do? What should I tell the social security office next time I call?

Call the number in Washington and they will fix this for you

Ridiculous.  It’s a “shall issue” not “issue if I feel like it” rule

Edited by iwannaplay54

5 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

Call the number in Washington and they will fix this for you

Ridiculous.  It’s a “shall issue” not “issue if I feel like it” rule

Can you please guide me more? Which number in Washington should I call? I still believe is not necessary for my child to be here in the United States or to have a reason in order to get a social security card. My child was born a US Citizen and as a US Citizen I believe my child has the right to have a social security number. 

44 minutes ago, Jose Campos said:

Can you please guide me more? Which number in Washington should I call? I still believe is not necessary for my child to be here in the United States or to have a reason in order to get a social security card. My child was born a US Citizen and as a US Citizen I believe my child has the right to have a social security number. 

They have a main 800 number

Think about it.  If you can apply by mail what difference does it make where the child is?  Government drones are morons.

4 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

They have a main 800 number

Think about it.  If you can apply by mail what difference does it make where the child is?  Government drones are morons.

I believe I already called this number this afternoon, and they asked me to contact my local security office to discuss this further. I guess this was my only option.

I also emailed the embassy in Costa Rica, waiting for their reply.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

For my son in India we mailed his SSN application with notarized copies of his crba, passport and my passport to the nearest office which was in Manila, Philippines and in less than 2 weeks they mailed his ssn card to the U.S address I provided. So try that. Get notarized/cerified copies of the crba, childs passport and your passport because you don't want to mail originals ( I got the notary at the u.s embassy free of charge here in india) fill in the application and send to the nearest office which looks like it's Costa Rica and you'll receive it in no time 🙂

5 hours ago, Jose Campos said:

In other words, I need to bring my child here to the United States in order to apply for her SSN?

The reason why my child is not here yet is because she is still a 5 month baby, and I haven't petition or sponsor for her mom to get a green card yet.

I know I can bring my child here with me with the mother's written permission but I am not sure if I need legal custody of the child in order to get her a SSN Card.

You do not need legal custody.  This is not rocket science.  Download the application, fill it out, mail it in.  Follow the instructions.

Newborns get them by mail.  You can too.  We got a CRBA and the consulate advised us to wait until we get to the US to apply for the SS card.  We applied by mail and got one when we got to the US.

Edited by iwannaplay54

1 hour ago, Ashshwee said:

For my son in India we mailed his SSN application with notarized copies of his crba, passport and my passport to the nearest office which was in Manila, Philippines and in less than 2 weeks they mailed his ssn card to the U.S address I provided. So try that. Get notarized/cerified copies of the crba, childs passport and your passport because you don't want to mail originals ( I got the notary at the u.s embassy free of charge here in india) fill in the application and send to the nearest office which looks like it's Costa Rica and you'll receive it in no time 🙂

OP is not in India.  OP is in the US.

6 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

You do not need legal custody.  This is not rocket science.  Download the application, fill it out, mail it in.  Follow the instructions.

Newborns get them by mail.  You can too.  We got a CRBA and the consulate advised us to wait until we get to the US to apply for the SS card.  We applied by mail and got one when we got to the US.

This is what I though I should do, just download the application, fill it out, and submit it with my child's CRBA and US Passport (both originals) and just wait for my child's social security card to arrive in the mail. But I was afraid to go this path since I don't want my child's documents to get lost in the process, especially when my local social security office already told me that my child is not eligible for SSN since she is not here yet and I need custody etc. That's the reason why I called my local social security office to schedule an appointment.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.