Axlingen

K1 visa first approved, then refused

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Hello, 

Let's start from the beginning. 
My fiancé (who is the USC) and I (I am from Norway) filed our K1 visa December 3rd 2020. August 2021 we were approved. December 9th I had to go to the US embassy in Stockholm, Sweden for my interview. 
Everything was looking, and I had all my papers in order. My criminal record was not clean. I had a fine from January 2007 for admitting to have bought and smoked one user dose of marijuana during a vacation in Spain, December 2006. This was during an interview with the military here in Norway, where they asked me if I had every tried any drugs. I was honest and told them I tried marijuana once. I was 19 and didn't think much of it. They sent my interrogation papers to the police, and I got a fine. It should be said that during my stay in Spain, cannabis is decriminalized and I should not have agreed to that fine in the first place. Again, I did not know this at the time. Also I didn't think it would matter at any point since it was only a fine. 
When I handed in the papers to the first person at the embassy, he asked me about the fine, I told him what it was, and he couldn't imagine this was going to be a problem. At the interview, the woman who interviewed me asked me about it as well, she kinda laughed at it, carried on and told me everything looked good. They were going to finalize the papers and ship everything back to me. 
I left a happy man! 
Hours later they requested my court orders for my fine, which I honestly didn't think exist. I contacted the police station the next day, got the documents I needed, got it translated and emailed it back two days after my interview. My interview took place on a Thursday. Following Tuesday I got an email saying my visa was refused. 
Now we have to file a I-601 and wait even longer... 

So for those of you who wonder if a small thing on your record matters, it does... 

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Axlingen said:

Hello, 

Let's start from the beginning. 
My fiancé (who is the USC) and I (I am from Norway) filed our K1 visa December 3rd 2020. August 2021 we were approved. December 9th I had to go to the US embassy in Stockholm, Sweden for my interview. 
Everything was looking, and I had all my papers in order. My criminal record was not clean. I had a fine from January 2007 for admitting to have bought and smoked one user dose of marijuana during a vacation in Spain, December 2006. This was during an interview with the military here in Norway, where they asked me if I had every tried any drugs. I was honest and told them I tried marijuana once. I was 19 and didn't think much of it. They sent my interrogation papers to the police, and I got a fine. It should be said that during my stay in Spain, cannabis is decriminalized and I should not have agreed to that fine in the first place. Again, I did not know this at the time. Also I didn't think it would matter at any point since it was only a fine. 
When I handed in the papers to the first person at the embassy, he asked me about the fine, I told him what it was, and he couldn't imagine this was going to be a problem. At the interview, the woman who interviewed me asked me about it as well, she kinda laughed at it, carried on and told me everything looked good. They were going to finalize the papers and ship everything back to me. 
I left a happy man! 
Hours later they requested my court orders for my fine, which I honestly didn't think exist. I contacted the police station the next day, got the documents I needed, got it translated and emailed it back two days after my interview. My interview took place on a Thursday. Following Tuesday I got an email saying my visa was refused. 
Now we have to file a I-601 and wait even longer... 

So for those of you who wonder if a small thing on your record matters, it does... 

It really depends upon what that small thing is…everything is all spelled out in the REASONS for DENIALS of the IMMIGRATION LAWS…

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline
Just now, Mrs Lee said:

It really depends upon what that small thing is…everything is all spelled out in the REASONS for DENIALS of the IMMIGRATION LAWS…

Well, I had a fine for buying ONE user dose of marijuana, 15 years ago. That was enough. That is a small thing I would say. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Mrs Lee said:

Drug convictions sometimes make one permanently inadmissible.  

This is a complex area of law from what I can tell. Since OP has indicated a waiver is needed OP should hire a competent immigration attorney who is a member of AILA, one with specific experience in drug related waivers.  

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Mike E said:

This is a complex area of law from what I can tell. Since OP has indicated a waiver is needed OP should hire a competent immigration attorney who is a member of AILA, one with specific experience in drug related waivers.  

26 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I Agree 

Timeline
45 minutes ago, Axlingen said:

Well, I had a fine for buying ONE user dose of marijuana, 15 years ago. That was enough. That is a small thing I would say. 

Yes, I understood that…and again, there are Immigration Laws in place for certain crimes, yours being one of them.  But that is why we must check the Laws, and get Legal assistance in cases such as these, when we aren’t very sure of them ourselves.  Otherwise, it could lead to DENIALS, APPEALS, and extra costly fees.  I only mentioned that it depends upon what little thing it might be, because of the statement that you made concerning past criminal behaviors affecting the outcome.  Best of luck to you!

15 hours ago, Axlingen said:

As absurd as it is, the consular staff never should have indicated it was not a problem.  Unlike some aspects of visa approvals, things that pertain to inadmissibilities (such as criminal history) are not discretionary at the time of interview.

Luckily with the waiver system in place, there is a work-around, but I agree that once it gets to the point of needing a waiver, it is no longer DIY.   You need a good US immigration lawyer.

Without wanting to be an alarmist, but have you disclosed this, e.g. on ESTA forms or in response to other questions?  The U.S. takes drug charges extremely seriously, and even though marihuana is now legal or decriminalized in many states, it's still a class 1 drug on the federal level.  So, not mentioning this might be looked at as misrepresentation (I hope not), but I would say, if omitted (on purpose or not), this is definitely something to bring up with your lawyer once you get one. 

I'm having my fingers crossed for you! 

Edited by CMJuilland

ROC: 

12/30/2019 package sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS 

12/31/2019 package arrived at Texas Lockbox 

01/02/2020 package signed for

01/04/2020 $680 charged on credit card

01/06/2020 text message and email with case number received

01/09/2020 extension letter received; notice date: 01/03/2020

02/22/2020 biometrics appointment letter received 

03/06/2020 biometrics appointment 

08/09/2021 I-751 approved

08/16/2021 Green Card received

Naturalization:

12/29/2020 application filed online and receipt number received 

01/04/2021 hard copy NOA1 received 

02/27/2021 electronic biometric reuse letter received

09/19/2021 interview scheduled - electronic notice received 

09/27/2021 hard copy interview notice received (issue date: 09/21/2021)

10/27/2021 interview (10.40am), approved

11/06/2021 oath ceremony (7.30am) 

I AM A U.S. CITIZEN!!!!! 

Passport:

11/08/2021 appointment at USPS (2.00pm)

11/16/2021 money order cashed, passport “in process” (locator 69)

12/02/2021 approved and shipped

12/04/2021 passport book delivered

12/13/2021 passport card and NC delivered 

11 hours ago, CMJuilland said:

Without wanting to be an alarmist, but have you disclosed this, e.g. on ESTA forms or in response to other questions?  The U.S. takes drug charges extremely seriously, and even though marihuana is now legal or decriminalized in many states, it's still a class 1 drug on the federal level.  So, not mentioning this might be looked at as misrepresentation (I hope not), but I would say, if omitted (on purpose or not), this is definitely something to bring up with your lawyer once you get one. 

I'm having my fingers crossed for you! 

Good point.  That could lead to an inadmissibility for which a waiver would need to be applied.  Material misrepresentation.

Edited by Jorgedig

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 1/10/2022 at 1:25 AM, Axlingen said:

"My interview took place on a Thursday. Following Tuesday I got an email saying my visa was refused."

Did they say specifically why it was refused? Is it possible it was something else but you are assuming it was the marijuana charge?

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
On 1/10/2022 at 2:58 AM, Axlingen said:

Marijuana use is a FEDERAL crime in the US. Drug use is no small thing to immigration authorities. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
On 1/10/2022 at 2:25 AM, Axlingen said:

When I handed in the papers to the first person at the embassy, he asked me about the fine, I told him what it was, and he couldn't imagine this was going to be a problem. At the interview, the woman who interviewed me asked me about it as well, she kinda laughed at it, carried on and told me everything looked good.

Visas are never approved until after the interview and ALL administrative processing is complete and checked.  Consulate Officers often give the impression that they immediately approve visas......they don't.  There are cases which even went into extended administrative processing for many months after the CO said "approved".  The omly real indication of approval is when the CEAC status changes to "Issued". 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.