JeinKa

Wedding plan as evidence for K-1 visa

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum. I am in a process of preparing to file a petition to sponsor my fiance on the K-1 visa. After doing some research, I am a bit confused about the evidence we need to send along the form. There are some sources saying that we are supposed to provide information regarding our wedding like cards, announcements, confirmation of wedding services etc. while others do not. So, I really need to ask whether or not we must plan for our wedding before filing the form. 

Thank you for your time

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
9 minutes ago, JeinKa said:

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum. I am in a process of preparing to file a petition to sponsor my fiance on the K-1 visa. After doing some research, I am a bit confused about the evidence we need to send along the form. There are some sources saying that we are supposed to provide information regarding our wedding like cards, announcements, confirmation of wedding services etc. while others do not. So, I really need to ask whether or not we must plan for our wedding before filing the form. 

Thank you for your time

You are not required to have wedding plans in the I-129F filing.  Each you you are required to provide a signed and dated statement that says you intend to marry the other person in the USA before the K-1 authorized stay of 90 days expires.  

It is impossible to set a wedding date with the fiancé(e) petition / visa process.  

At the K-1 interview some (expletive deleted) COs ask about wedding plans. This is a stupid question on their part and the best answer is that with uncertainty around Covid and its impact on county marriage license bureaus,  the couple will find the most expedient way to get married and get a marriage certificate before the 90 day authorized stay is completed. 

You don’t  need look elsewhere for guidance on this process. Just follow https://www.visajourney.com/guides/

Edited by Mike E

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
5 minutes ago, JeinKa said:

Hi guys,

Thank you for your time

What country?

The basic requirements are quite simple.

Per USCIS:  https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

- Evidence of your U.S. citizenship:

- Evidence you or your fiancé legally terminated any previous marriages (if applicable):

- One color passport-style photograph of yourself and one for your fiancé taken within 30 days of you filing this petition; 

- Evidence of legal name change (if applicable);

- Evidence you and your fiancé(e) intend to marry within 90 days of their admission into the United States as a K-1 nonimmigrant

- Evidence you met your fiancé(e) in-person within two years of you filing your Form I-129F. 

- If you met your fiance through a marriage broker, then Evidence that the broker followed IMBRA guidelines.

For certain places like Morocco and other MENA countries, it is recommended.to "front load" the petition with evidence of genuine relationship (meeting families, daily chats, frequent visits, etc).  But this is to have the evidence in the petition when it is sent to the embassy - USCIS does not need this to approve the petition.

Filed: Timeline
59 minutes ago, Mike E said:

. . .

At the K-1 interview some (expletive deleted) COs ask about wedding plans. This is a stupid question on their part and the best answer is that with uncertainty around Covid and its impact on county marriage license bureaus,  the couple will find the most expedient way to get married and get a marriage certificate before the 90 day authorized stay is completed. 

. . .

No wedding plans are needed in the petition file, as others have said.

Some consular officers (even those who are not "... (expletive deleted) COs)...") may ask about wedding plans during the visa interview as a way to find out more about the bona-fide relationship of the couple.  Even though there can't be an exact date set or invitations printed, it would be very unusual for a couple not to have discussed some general plans for getting married -- for example, we plan to get married at the courthouse and have a more formal ceremony after we have time to arrange it; or, we'll get married at his/her family home as soon as we can get a license; or, his clergy has said he will marry us  in the church whenever we are ready; or, we've talked a lot about getting married and how we would like to do it but haven't made any definite plans until we get the visa.  An engaged couple who have not had any discussions at all about getting married would be unusual.

Edited by jan22

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No plans needed, would be hard to plan for a moving date. 

I was asked if we had plans at my interview. I just simply stated we would do the JOP whenever I can get one booked. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

7 hours ago, JeinKa said:

on the check, I accidentially wrote "U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services" instead of DHS like said in the instruction. Will this cause any trouble to my application?

Yes, your package will most likely be rejected and returned to you.  By the way, the instructions specifically say -- "On the “Pay to the Order of” line, write “U.S. Department of Homeland Security” (not “USDHS” or “DHS”)."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.