Stagnant Sloth

N-400 Name on Green Card Question

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I am in the process of filling out my N-400 form and have everything filled out ready to submit. I was just conflicted about one section. 

The question on the N-400 form says: 

"What is your name exactly as it appears on your Permanent Resident Card?
Provide your name exactly as it appears on your Permanent Resident Card, even if it is misspelled."

I'll use an example name for myself as John Smith Doe.

On my green card it says:

Surname: Doe

Given Name: John S

And on the N-400 form online there's boxes that say:

Given name (First name)
Middle Name
Family name (last name)

On my green card, there is no section for middle name. So, on the N-400 form would I put John S under given name or put John as the given name and S under Middle Name?

I might be over thinking this - but, I wanted to make sure everything was accurate as possible to avoid any potential issues.

Thank you!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Stagnant Sloth said:

So, on the N-400 form would I put John S under given name or put John as the given name and S under Middle Name?

N400:

Family name: Doe

Given Name: John

Middle name: Smith

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
42 minutes ago, HRQX said:

On the back of the card is the middle name all spelled out? In the following example the middle name is "Void"

USCIS_13.0-List-A-PRC-Current-Back_241x1

Yes, on the back of the green card the middle name is fully spelled out.

So I would fully provide the middle name on the N-400 form since it's fully spelled out on the back even though it isn't fully spelled out on the front? And thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
58 minutes ago, Stagnant Sloth said:

Hello,

I am in the process of filling out my N-400 form and have everything filled out ready to submit. I was just conflicted about one section. 

Provide your name exactly as it appears on your Permanent Resident Card, even if it is misspelled."

Given name (First name)
Middle Name
Family name (last name)

On my green card, there is no section for middle name. So, on the N-400 form would I put John S under given name or put John as the given name and S under Middle Name?

I might be over thinking this - but, I wanted to make sure everything was accurate as possible to avoid any potential issues.

Thank you!

My husband put it exactly as it appears on the front of the green card.

Given name: John

Middle name: S

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

With my situation, when I renewed my greencard, they put my middle name with my last name (my middle name is technically my mom’s maiden name). on the first greencard when I arrived they did it correctly the way it was on my passport and birth certificate. when I applied for my renewal, I did the same thing but they end up putting my middle name with my last name.

so when I applied for citizenship, i went with what is correct ever since. I didnt go with my renewed green card name on the front card, I went with the full name that i had in the back of the card.  and when i got my naturalization and passport, my name corresponds with the original formation. If they questioned, I was prepared to answer it but they never did and was not questioned.But yeah it’s kind of complicated when my parents gave me two names and use my mom’s maiden as my middle name because in the US they don’t necessarily do that. So when I applied, my first name was my two names then middle name as my mom’s maiden name and my last name from my dad. I followed how my parents applied my visa, foreign passport etc so everything is aligned.

Edited by clauric

I put my names in full as they were on the back and successfully naturalized.

The instructions do not say “on the front of the card”, they say “on the card”. As I already knew the names were spelled out in full on the back, I used that. I do know of people whose full names did not fit on the back and they wrote the truncated version but also the “fuller” version.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

I put my names in full as they were on the back and successfully naturalized.

The instructions do not say “on the front of the card”, they say “on the card”. As I already knew the names were spelled out in full on the back, I used that. I do know of people whose full names did not fit on the back and they wrote the truncated version but also the “fuller” version.y 

My husband had no issues(successfully naturalized) using only the middle initial that's on the front of the card for that question. I think it doesn't really matter either way. Probably only an important thing for those that had misspellings on their cards. 

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 2 years later...
On 10/28/2021 at 9:23 PM, Stagnant Sloth said:

Hello,

Given name (First name)
Middle Name
Family name (last name)

Thank you!

So how did you end up putting it on the form? Are you naturalized already?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
17 minutes ago, OldUser said:

The OP last visited Visa Journey on November 10, 2021

Old thread is now closed to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.