ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

Does this response seem like a word for word replication of y'all have seen:

Yes, I got the same from OP03. They seem like they are the main officer who replies to these sort of emails and has longer, generic replies. OP11 tends to reply to more specific questions and writes 1-2 sentences. I haven't seen any other officer reply to Montreal inquiries but I could be wrong 🤔

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Danii said:

Yes, I got the same from OP03. They seem like they are the main officer who replies to these sort of emails and has longer, generic replies. OP11 tends to reply to more specific questions and writes 1-2 sentences. I haven't seen any other officer reply to Montreal inquiries but I could be wrong 🤔

Quite frankly... not sure what is even the point of ever sending them an inquiry, because this is what they will give. And I already basically knew that-- yet did it anyway. Amazing how one can keep fooling one's self.

10 hours ago, ice-qube said:

Quite frankly... not sure what is even the point of ever sending them an inquiry, because this is what they will give. And I already basically knew that-- yet did it anyway. Amazing how one can keep fooling one's self.

Thanks for the feedback. It’s looks like there is nothing to do except wait, contacting senators, representatives it’s not a game changer at least at the stage mostly of us are.

On 12/24/2021 at 6:19 PM, Twiz&Toz said:

If the name matches a bad guy then the finger prints they collect won’t match and should clear that up. That would only take like 2 week to run it. Also for the resume that’s really strange never heard of that before or maybe they just said resume and really mean work history :s

Yeah, it's not a "name match with a bad guy," lol.  Vetting/law enforcement systems are a bit more sophisticated than that....

On 12/24/2021 at 12:12 PM, From_CAN_2_US said:

The primary reason people are given DS5535 is because their name matches (perhaps only vaguely) with someone on their “bad guy list.” 

LOL.  This is not true.  At all.

22 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Yeah, it's not a "name match with a bad guy," lol.  Vetting/law enforcement systems are a bit more sophisticated than that....

LOL.  This is not true.  At all.

ok how do you think it works then. lol dont just knock someones theory and not provide an alternative 

Edited by MJ & FEK
spelling

Timeline
On 11/11/2021 at 1:35 AM, From_CAN_2_US said:

I came across this document that may provide some insight. Read under the border security screening process: 

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/03-15-17 Donahue Testimony.pdf

It explains how visa applicant’s names, date of birth, fingerprints and photos are checked against a database.

@Jorgedig

I had shared this a couple of months ago. This is a document from 2017 and the description of the process is probably from before DS-5535 was introduced. But it does describe the security screening process.

It describes how the applicants’ names, DOB and photos are checked for matches against a database of “persons found ineligible for visas and persons who are the subjects of potentially derogatory information.” This was what I was referring to as “bad guy list” in shorthand.

This is my best understanding from the document I shared as well as numerous other sources I have looked up, which range from immigration lawyer’s websites and Quora answers from supposedly US security personnel. I don’t claim that any of these sources are authoritative, but it is just what I have have managed to get info from.

Of course I am no expert (far from it), and would love to be corrected with the actual reasons DS-5535s are issued.

Please do let us know should you have more insight.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

18 minutes ago, MJ & FEK said:

ok how do you think it works then. lol dont just knock someones theory and not provide an alternative 

Like I said there are much more advanced vetting systems/databases in place.  

I'm not saying there are not cases of name match/similarity triggers; I was objecting to the claim that it was the "primary" reason.

I'm sure there are just as many "Joe Smith" Canadians in this group as ones with names originating from countries the US has identified as state sponsors of terrorism.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Like I said there are much more advanced vetting systems/databases in place.  

I'm not saying there are not cases of name match/similarity triggers; I was objecting to the claim that it was the "primary" reason.

I'm sure there are just as many "Joe Smith" Canadians in this group as ones with names originating from countries the US has identified as state sponsors of terrorism.

I don’t think one can eliminate “Joe Smith” like names from the list of people suspected of terrorism.

Also not sure why you assumed the “bad guy list” would only consist of people suspected of terrorism….

Just now, From_CAN_2_US said:

I don’t think one can eliminate “Joe Smith” like names from the list of people suspected of terrorism.

Also not sure why you assumed the “bad guy list” would only consist of people suspected of terrorism….

Because the DS5535 was created entirely as a way to vet for crime + terrorism?

1 minute ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

That is not at all what I meant.

It is less likely that western names are going to appear on watch lists for global terrorism.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am puzzled by this as I thought full background checks are completed at the NVC stage?  If there was any question about possible criminal background or matching names, fingerprints, or any other nefarious suspicion, wouldn’t that have already been dealt with well before the interview stage via RFE?  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.