ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, BatmanFlow said:

if you havent gotten a response yet, you wont get it in time for the long weekend.

when i asked for my moms passport back, they took a week to respond and it was pretty much telling me her passport was being returned and then i got tracking number the next day. took about two weeks in total to get it back

No movement on your mom's case yet? Her and I are running towards new records, it would seem.

Timeline
1 hour ago, ice-qube said:

No movement on your mom's case yet? Her and I are running towards new records, it would seem.

Nope nothing. I think the last time her actual case date updated was November 24. Ever since then the updates all correlated with my emails to embassy. 

she’s gonna come visit on wed for a month. Really hoping for a miracle. If not we might fork over money for a suit. Definitely don’t want to but doesn’t look like anything is happening 😞 

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Had my interview yesterday. Principal applicant + derivative approved and issued, but the spouse was told they would need to respond to some questions. Hopefully, this doesn't delay things too much. Category is F3 at Montreal.

The principal applicant is thinking about activating the visas with the derivative, but will apply for a 2 year reentry permit while the spouse awaits administrative processing. Is this allowed? 

Edited by F3MTL

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
58 minutes ago, F3MTL said:

Had my interview yesterday. Principal applicant + derivative approved and issued, but the spouse was told they would need to respond to some questions. Hopefully, this doesn't delay things too much. Category is F3 at Montreal.

The principal applicant is thinking about activating the visas with the derivative, but will apply for a 2 year reentry permit while the spouse awaits administrative processing. Is this allowed? 

Yes get everyone who has the visa to get that visa endorsed. Get the process started for those now. The Visa only lasts 6 months from medical, watch the expiry date closely.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

2 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

Yes get everyone who has the visa to get that visa endorsed. Get the process started for those now. The Visa only lasts 6 months from medical, watch the expiry date closely.

Okay, we'll do that ASAP, thanks. Just waiting for Montreal to send them. Status shows "Issued" but no tracking yet. 

I also did a bit of research, and the spouse who was placed under 221(g) has a name that is EXTREMELY similar to someone who committed a sexual assault crime in 2020. The city that the person was charged in is literally 10 minutes away from our own city/house, and the age and name of the person is so similar to that of the spouse. I think it's very possible that the systems flagged the spouse and thought that was him. I remember the interviewing asking all of us, "you live in [City Name, Province Name], right?" Man, this sucks. The email hasn't been sent yet, but I guess it's best to prepare all this stuff ahead of time. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, F3MTL said:

Okay, we'll do that ASAP, thanks. Just waiting for Montreal to send them. Status shows "Issued" but no tracking yet. 

I also did a bit of research, and the spouse who was placed under 221(g) has a name that is EXTREMELY similar to someone who committed a sexual assault crime in 2020. The city that the person was charged in is literally 10 minutes away from our own city/house, and the age and name of the person is so similar to that of the spouse. I think it's very possible that the systems flagged the spouse and thought that was him. I remember the interviewing asking all of us, "you live in [City Name, Province Name], right?" Man, this sucks. The email hasn't been sent yet, but I guess it's best to prepare all this stuff ahead of time. 

Oh Wow, that is crazy. At least you have some idea of what the trigger could be. Sucks big time though. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
5 minutes ago, F3MTL said:

Is retrieving an I-94 allowed for the purposes of filling out DS-5535? We made many "one-day" trips across the border, but not every trip had a stamp in our passport. 

Yes, you can download your I-94 to get information on your travel history. Many people do that.

Hello everyone. 
This question must be answered here on this forum multiple times for sure. I would like to know tips for travelling while in AP from pearson airport. What to do and what to avoid with cpb officer . Will it be any problem travelling in ap. As far my personal experience from Pearson whenever i flew from there they always put me in secondary. 

Timeline
On 6/23/2022 at 7:07 PM, herecomestherain said:

Unfortunately it is illegal to do work in the U.S. remotely without a visa, regardless of where the actual employer is located.

If you are caught you could face a 10 year ban. 

I looked into it myself but I was disappointed when I found out. :(

Not my business but I really feel for you and your family. You must be going through so much and I think everyone in this forum would agree that one of the worst parts of this whole situation is the “not knowing”. 

For everyone, especially newbies, I think setting a limit on how long you are willing to wait for AP to resolve will go a long way for your mental health.

For example, we decided we wanted an answer by the end of July. Once we decided on the date to file WoM, it felt like I took back a little bit of control of my life.

Set a date way in the future and put money aside for WoM weekly or monthly. The WoM was 5.5K USD. If the day comes and nothing has changed, you will have money set aside for it. If AP resolves on its own, you have nest egg.

This is a brilliant idea, What made you all decide on the end of July?

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

February 2021 - Sent I-130

July 2021 - Sent expedite request

July 2021 - Approved 

August 2021 - NVC Welcome Letters

November 2021 - NVC requests missing documents

December 2021 - Submitted missing docs to NVC

May 2022  Notice of interview appointment

June 2022 - Interview + put in AP

March 2023 - AP complete + second medical requested by consulate

April 2023 - new medical submitted, visa status changed to issued

May 2023 - Entry into US

Timeline
3 hours ago, Ap 5535 said:

Hello everyone. 
This question must be answered here on this forum multiple times for sure. I would like to know tips for travelling while in AP from pearson airport. What to do and what to avoid with cpb officer . Will it be any problem travelling in ap. As far my personal experience from Pearson whenever i flew from there they always put me in secondary. 

My mom is traveling from Pearson tomorrow so I’ll let you know how it goes

i told my sister to be honest about everything and shouldn’t be an issue 

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

On 6/23/2022 at 11:56 AM, ice-qube said:

Not talking about a US job. Just a Canadian job and take laptop and work remote for a couple of weeks at a time while visiting.

Also not permitted.  Working while in the US, without a work permit, is not allowed.  

Anyone in the unenviable position of extended AP may want to adhere to the rules in the interim.

On 6/24/2022 at 8:34 AM, Mary184 said:

Hi everyone,

Presumably one applied for a work permit in US while waiting for AP to be resolved (DS5535), can one apply for I-485 to adjust the status? Is it doable or once one is under AP, there is no way to do so? Thanks. 

No.  That is immigration fraud.

6 hours ago, Ap 5535 said:

Hello everyone. 

Just don't lie.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Also not permitted.  Working while in the US, without a work permit, is not allowed.  

Anyone in the unenviable position of extended AP may want to adhere to the rules in the interim.

Well i am out of options, then. Just more waiting.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.