Ontarkie

Those who recently crossed into Canada

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Driving across, Canadian, USC Spouse and children. 

My mother broke her hip, and father is needing surgery after the two of them didn't call any of us for help. My mother didn't want anyone to know she was in the hospital. That set off a chain of events that now require surgery for my father. 

So I deleted the long story and got to the point. 

Since our insurance is all sorts of weird being my husband is a state employee. They seem to make up rules as they go. (ok not really but it feels like it) 

Our insurance says covid tests are covered if the doctor says it's needed or something like that. So I'm going to guess getting pretest to cross the border the insurance won't cover it? Their is 4 of us needed to get these tests. I don't want to be surprised with 800$ bill later or heck on the spot. 

What has been your experience? 

Edited by Ontarkie
fixed a few typos
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife had to get a test recently for travel to Russia.  Our insurance does not cover this testing unless it is medically necessary, so it ended up costing us $150 at a facility that specializes in medical/vaccines for global travel.  We also checked the local pharmacies, and all of them now include the question if the test is required for travel.  Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If I understand correctly, you are asking about getting a pre entry COVID test for your family for entering into Canada from the USA.

In order to enter Canada without any extra paperwork, any traveler 12+ must be fully vaccinated. If they are not, you can look into compassionate entry which I am not familiar with. 

Insurance is not likely to cover tests for travel purposes. That being said, my USC husband has been crossing every other week or so to visit me in Canada since August. He gets his test at Walgreens for free (you can book online up to 3 days in advance) he gets the ID NOW test which is a NAAT test and accepted to enter Canada. Results typically come within a few hours. He has had issues with availability before, but that was only one week. Others have also been able to get free tests at CVS within the 72 hours required.

Just ensure you do not get an antigen test, as these are not accepted for entry to Canada.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

My wife had to get a test recently for travel to Russia.  Our insurance does not cover this testing unless it is medically necessary, so it ended up costing us $150 at a facility that specializes in medical/vaccines for global travel.  We also checked the local pharmacies, and all of them now include the question if the test is required for travel.  Good Luck!

Thanks, that is what I was thinking would happen. The last test my son had was $189 he was exposed at work and had to have it done. 

16 minutes ago, M.Knaebel said:

If I understand correctly, you are asking about getting a pre entry COVID test for your family for entering into Canada from the USA.

In order to enter Canada without any extra paperwork, any traveler 12+ must be fully vaccinated. If they are not, you can look into compassionate entry which I am not familiar with. 

Insurance is not likely to cover tests for travel purposes. That being said, my USC husband has been crossing every other week or so to visit me in Canada since August. He gets his test at Walgreens for free (you can book online up to 3 days in advance) he gets the ID NOW test which is a NAAT test and accepted to enter Canada. Results typically come within a few hours. He has had issues with availability before, but that was only one week. Others have also been able to get free tests at CVS within the 72 hours required.

Just ensure you do not get an antigen test, as these are not accepted for entry to Canada.

Yes the pre entry test, but I don't think we will get as lucky as your husband as the wording in our insurance makes it sound like we would need the doctor to order it. 

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Ontarkie said:

Yes the pre entry test, but I don't think we will get as lucky as your husband as the wording in our insurance makes it sound like we would need the doctor to order it. 

Walgreens never asks him for insurance information just an address & ID when he arrives.

I've used the same test myself (Canadian) to return home and used his address and wasn't charged.

Timeline
1 minute ago, M.Knaebel said:

Walgreens never asks him for insurance information just an address & ID when he arrives.

I've used the same test myself (Canadian) to return home and used his address and wasn't charged.

Thank you, I may try Walgreens if we have to go. 

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Your state might have free testing centers.  I haven't paid for any tests here, for traveling, or for any reason.  My insurance would pay, but it seems the cost is still covered by the state.

Entry went smoothly with ArriveCAN

Best of luck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Your state might have free testing centers.  I haven't paid for any tests here, for traveling, or for any reason.  My insurance would pay, but it seems the cost is still covered by the state.

Best of luck.

@Ontarkie, I second what Lemonslice said.  Not about ArriveCAN, but about checking your state for covid testing sites.

MA offers both community "stop the spread" free testing and links to local testing sites (free and not free).  Perhaps Arkansas has something similar, or at least at standardized rates?

1 minute ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

@Ontarkie, I second what Lemonslice said.  Not about ArriveCAN, but about checking your state for covid testing sites.

MA offers both community "stop the spread" free testing and links to local testing sites (free and not free).  Perhaps Arkansas has something similar, or at least at standardized rates?

I'm also in Mass. Hey neighbour!

5 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

Best of luck.

Same here in Washington state.  I've had about 6 PCR tests over the past year, at testing centers funded by local health dept $$.

Timeline

Update I found the a video of how the app works. I should be good. 

I have another question for those that used the ArriveCan App. I have a tracfone so no coverage once I cross the border. For me that will be a bridge and I won't be close enough to Michigan most likely to get coverage.  

I don't know what the app will give me for the OK. Is it just a page I can screen shot before arriving at the border? We will be stopping before crossing to fill up the truck with gas. As prices on the other side are crazy. So I have time to load it up before I have no coverage. 

The last thing I want is to arrive and get turned around because the app won't load.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

You can screenshot your confirmation number AND they can look you up with your names.  As long as you fill and upload it all before arriving, you'll be ok. 

Bon voyage, travel safe!

ETA: recent experiences -my parents don't have smartphones, my mom filled it on her tablet and she had zero trouble. I do have have a smartphone, but they didn't want to see it...

Edited by Lemonslice

Timeline
4 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

You can screenshot your confirmation number AND they can look you up with your names.  As long as you fill and upload it all before arriving, you'll be ok. 

Bon voyage, travel safe!

ETA: recent experiences -my parents don't have smartphones, my mom filled it on her tablet and she had zero trouble. I do have have a smartphone, but they didn't want to see it...

Thank you so much. I think we are going to get tested Monday and hopefully get the results back in time to leave Wednesday. 

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just an FYI. Covid Tests for individualized diagnosis must be covered 100% by your Heath Insurance if it's in network. That was determined by the Cares Act. It doesn't matter if it's for traveling. It must be covered. My spouse and I had at least 20 tests between both of us, and they were all covered 100% (even the out of network ones), and we have the cheapest health insurance my company provides.

"Plans and issuers must provide coverage without imposing any cost-sharing requirements (including deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance), prior authorization, or other medical management requirements for COVID-19 diagnostic testing of asymptomatic individuals when the purpose of the testing is for individualized diagnosis or treatment of COVID-19."

https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/cares-act-provider-relief-fund/for-patients/index.html

The exceptions mentioned on the act are tests for "public health surveillance" and "employment". Getting tested before a trip definitely falls under the individualized diagnosis and must be covered by your insurance.

If you don't have health insurance, then find a place that offers the test for free, like CVS and Walgreens (they send the bill to the government).

Edited by Ayrton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.