Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2023 at 8:54 AM, EC&IC said:

From what I understand, no, but your spouse needs to cross the border either before or at the same time as you. He or she cannot cross *after* you.

To pick at this a bit, is there a rule stating anywhere from USCIS/State Dept.?  From a practical standpoint, I think this statement is agreeable (USC already had to prove US ties, most people travel together, etc.).

Is this because the IR1/CR1 visa legally assumes that the USC is already-in, or will be in the US at the time of the spouse immigrant entry?

3 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

To pick at this a bit, is there a rule stating anywhere from USCIS/State Dept.?

From https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/i-864-affidavit-faqs.html#aos23 -- "The sponsor does not have to precede the applicant to the United States but, if he or she does not do so, he or she must arrive in the United States concurrently with the applicant."

More references to official sources in this post -- https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/782407-usc-must-be-in-usa-at-the-time-of-entry-on-the-visa-why/?do=findComment&comment=10663657

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Has anybody had any experience with the courier service? Is it very fast?

I'm hesitating between pickup and delivery. I live close enough to Montreal that the drive is doable, and I'd prefer to feel in control rather than wait at home, but I’m wondering whether I would regret going the pickup route, if I get the message late on a Friday and can't get to Montreal before the offices close.

Does the courier deliver on weekends?

Hey all, I’m having a bit of a panic moment. I need some help. So I have my interview March 6th, and everything has gone well until this point. But I was going through the checklist and realized I have the wrong police certificate all along. I have the visa border crossing one instead of the “RCMP National Repository Entire Holdings.” When I sent it in though for documentation it was approved so I never knew. What do I do? I have three weeks left until the interview and I’m absolutely terrified they’re going to refuse me. Even if I get an appointment with the rcmp now, there’s no way I’ll get it in time for the interview. 

5 hours ago, Beefybabygirl said:

Hey all, I’m having a bit of a panic moment. I need some help. So I have my interview March 6th, and everything has gone well until this point. But I was going through the checklist and realized I have the wrong police certificate all along. I have the visa border crossing one instead of the “RCMP National Repository Entire Holdings.” When I sent it in though for documentation it was approved so I never knew. What do I do? I have three weeks left until the interview and I’m absolutely terrified they’re going to refuse me. Even if I get an appointment with the rcmp now, there’s no way I’ll get it in time for the interview. 

You have enough time! I did it recently and it arrived the same week! 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Beefybabygirl said:

I went to my interview (Jan 9) with the visa border crossing certificate and was told I need the RCMP National Repository   Entire Holdings. I applied the next day for the updated  certificate at the local police station  and they sent directly to RCMP. Today is day 36 and I haven't  received the new document from RCMP.  My original police certificate took 37 days. I see on other comments that it took 1 to 2 weeks and even 8 weeks.... I'm confused now!

Timeline
7 hours ago, Beefybabygirl said:

hi there! mt husband had his interview on jan 9th. we did get delayed due to this exact issue. when we got home, we went to Reliability Screening, a 3rd party company that is from the government website for my husbands fingerprints and new police certificate. when we went to the place, the lady knew exactly what we needed before we even explained. she told us the requirements changed September 2022 and we weren’t the first ones with this issue. 

we re-submitted my husbands fingerprints and the new Police Certificate took 14 days to come in the mail. 

when you apply for your new certificate, just ask if there’s any way to expedite it or maybe even go to an RCMP on your own to explain and see what they can do to help you. 

i will be writing a post later on our exact experience to help others because this will definitely cause an issue 

28 minutes ago, PM Hank said:

I went to my interview (Jan 9) with the visa border crossing certificate and was told I need the RCMP National Repository   Entire Holdings. I applied the next day for the updated  certificate at the local police station  and they sent directly to RCMP. Today is day 36 and I haven't  received the new document from RCMP.  My original police certificate took 37 days. I see on other comments that it took 1 to 2 weeks and even 8 weeks.... I'm confused now!

Now I'm freaked out! I originally applied to NVC with the wrong certificate (it says "Canadian Police Certificate for Visa Applicants / Foreign Travel / Foreign Work Permits" and the one my local RCMP said I needed). NVC caught it as an invalid document and told me to resubmit.

I got a new certificate backed by a fingerprint check and it says "Your application for personal information held in the National Repository of Criminal Records has been processed...".

Is this the proper certificate? I had faith that the NVC would catch errors but maybe not?

Does someone have the link to all the documents I need to take to my interview?

Thank you so much!!

This is my police certificate and I got it through Reliability Screening this summer

On the Police Certificate section here it says:

Document Name:  Certified Criminal Record Check – Type of Criminal Record Check for Personal Use: Other / RCMP National Repository Entire Holdings

The following documents WILL NOT be accepted:

• Type of Criminal Record Check for Personal Use: Visa-Border Crossing, Foreign Travel, Work document.
  • Type of Criminal Record Check for Personal Use: Active Criminal Record document
  • Provincial or City issued police certificate

So, what - they changed the requirements last fall and now my certificate isn't valid anymore despite being accepted by NVC? Will I get bounced at the interview for having what is now the wrong certificate? How were we supposed to come by this information?

Is my assessment correct?

Thanks so much

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 08.37.47.png

Alright, well I confirmed with Reliability Screening that this certificate is no longer valid and will likely be rejected at interview.

I'm absolutely fuming right now! 

Does anyone have link to the list of other supporting documents needed for the interview? Are there any similar foot guns waiting for us at the consulate?

Thanks so much

@PM HankDid you try calling local RCMP and ask for the update? Local RCMP where you submitted fingerprint should be able to provide a print out of result of  your police record check with RCMP stamp. Apparently, local RCMP have new system in place and they can provide print out on the same day.

Timeline
39 minutes ago, thenextman said:

This is my police certificate and I got it through Reliability Screening this summer

On the Police Certificate section here it says:

So, what - they changed the requirements last fall and now my certificate isn't valid anymore despite being accepted by NVC? Will I get bounced at the interview for having what is now the wrong certificate? How were we supposed to come by this information?

Is my assessment correct?

Thanks so much

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 08.37.47.png

that is a correct assumption, based solely on our experience! (not trying to be a downer at all. just what we went through). 

instead of “active criminal records”, it’ll say subtype “other”. it’s very tedious and daunting. our new certificate took 14 days to come in the mail 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.