OmarStuck

N-600K Complete Experience

155 posts in this topic

Hi, hope somebody can help me here. I got an email on Sept 14 from the field officer  with a request to schedule an interview.  I responded the next day with some questions about the available dates for interview (i thought id ask the available dates because we live outside the US and confirm from there),  the officer replied after a day that the choice is mine but it has to be done within the next 6 months. I told him ill get back to him tomorrow so i can plan accordingly. I emailed the next day with a date that works for us. But its been 1 week and I have not heard back. I also sent a follow up email. No reply. How long do you think does it take for the field office person to get back to me?

Thank you! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
50 minutes ago, dcq122118 said:

Hi, hope somebody can help me here.

dcq122118, welcome to the forum.  Two other duplicate posts had to be removed.  In the future, please:

-- avoid hijacking other people's threads

-- avoid resurrecting years-old threads

-- avoid multiple posts on the same topic

Thanks for your awareness.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 9/3/2022 at 5:48 PM, Naijamd said:

Hi all. Me and my wife recently became citizens, and we are about to file the n600 for our daughter. Can we use either of our USCIS account to file or do we need to create an account for her? Thanks

This is for the N-600K not N-600.

14 hours ago, dcq122118 said:

Hi, hope somebody can help me here. I got an email on Sept 14 from the field officer  with a request to schedule an interview.  I responded the next day with some questions about the available dates for interview (i thought id ask the available dates because we live outside the US and confirm from there),  the officer replied after a day that the choice is mine but it has to be done within the next 6 months. I told him ill get back to him tomorrow so i can plan accordingly. I emailed the next day with a date that works for us. But its been 1 week and I have not heard back. I also sent a follow up email. No reply. How long do you think does it take for the field office person to get back to me?

Thank you! 

One to two weeks.

On 9/27/2022 at 12:33 AM, OmarStuck said:

This is for the N-600K not N-600.

One to two weeks.

Thanks for your feedback. It has been more than two weeks already, still no reply. Do you think its okay to send another follow up email? Thanks for your time Sir! 

I wanted to update you on what happened.

When we went through CBP I was asked why my kids didn't have ESTAs, I said that I didn't know (which was true) but that the US consulate were happy to supply them with the US tourist visa to visit my family. I did not overshare about why we were in the US (on advice from lawyer). 

I carried the attachment from my previous post, as well as evidence that had assets in our home country, schooling info to prove our planned return. I was not taking any chances!

We had our N-600K interview with USCIS on 14th Sept 2022. And it went beautifully. Though my father and I both brought all our original paperwork, they didn't ask to see it. 
They did ask to see proof of return flights and the I-94 record (can get online easily) and the passports.

My kids are US citizens now. Absolutely thrilled to get through this.

I found the USCIS office really amazingly helpful once we got the interview scheduled. It was critical that I mentioned multiple times, and in every correspondence that my child would age out which I believe contributed to their great and quick service.
My total turnaround was April 17th - Sept 14th 2022. I probably could have had the interview in July, if we had a valid US visa at that time.
We scraped in the interview just before my child's 18th birthday.

I hope my posts on N-600K are helpful. I think if your child is 16 or 17, it would be worth highlighting the short window of time to the USCIS for the interview.

Good luck anyone who is doing this on their own. 💚

Edited by SirenDoll
extra info

13 minutes ago, SirenDoll said:

I wanted to update you on what happened.

When we went through CBP I was asked why my kids didn't have ESTAs, I said that I didn't know (which was true) but that the US consulate were happy to supply them with the US tourist visa to visit my family. I did not overshare about why we were in the US (on advice from lawyer). 

I carried the attachment from my previous post, as well as evidence that had assets in our home country, schooling info to prove our planned return. I was not taking any chances!

We had our N-600K interview with USCIS on 14th Sept 2022. And it went beautifully. Though my father and I both brought all our original paperwork, they didn't ask to see it. 
They did ask to see proof of return flights and the I-94 record (can get online easily) and the passports.

My kids are US citizens now. Absolutely thrilled to get through this.

I found the USCIS office really amazingly helpful once we got the interview scheduled. It was critical that I mentioned multiple times, and in every correspondence that my child would age out which I believe contributed to their great and quick service.
My total turnaround was April 17th - Sept 14th 2022. I probably could have had the interview in July, if we had a valid US visa at that time.
We scraped in the interview just before my child's 18th birthday.

I hope my posts on N-600K are helpful. I think if your child is 16 or 17, it would be worth highlighting the short window of time to the USCIS for the interview.

Good luck anyone who is doing this on their own. 💚

Wow, thank you for sharing your experience! Glad to know you had a wonderful experience overall.

Our interview is scheduled next month. Posts here are so helpful to me! I have two kids who applied for this. I just have few question to ask if its okay, my father who is the qualifying US citizen, is he required to attend the interview too? I also emailed the USCIS officer about this, but he hasnt reply yet. Thanks for mentioning about the proof of return flights and i-94 records! what else did they ask? 

Also, did you apply for your child's US passport? 

Thank you for your time! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2022 at 3:57 AM, dcq122118 said:

Wow, thank you for sharing your experience! Glad to know you had a wonderful experience overall.

Our interview is scheduled next month. Posts here are so helpful to me! I have two kids who applied for this. I just have few question to ask if its okay, my father who is the qualifying US citizen, is he required to attend the interview too? I also emailed the USCIS officer about this, but he hasnt reply yet. Thanks for mentioning about the proof of return flights and i-94 records! what else did they ask? 

Also, did you apply for your child's US passport? 

Thank you for your time! 

No, they do not need to attend.

I flew back to our country of residence and applied for passports there although that is frowned upon.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Thank you for all the knowledge

I am an American citizen living abroad, I had filed two n600k for my children, one was filed on June 2021 and got recipe notice a few weeks later, the other was filed on October 2021. I have filed at the queens NY field office.

I had heard nothing from them in the past year, is it normal to wait a more than a year? is there a way i can switch the office?

dcq122118 -
You asked: 

my father who is the qualifying US citizen, is he required to attend the interview too

My understanding was that my father DID have to attend the interview. And he did come with us.

At the door of USCIS, the security guard said that he couldn't come in. But once we were in and talking to the Immigration Officer, she said he needed to be there and told the Security guard to let him in.

Thanks for mentioning about the proof of return flights and i-94 records! what else did they ask? 

And their current passport (their current nationality)
We took all the original paper versions of everything uploaded, but they didn't ask to see any of it.

zvi0102

You asked: 

I had heard nothing from them in the past year, is it normal to wait a more than a year? is there a way i can switch the office?

It takes 30 days for them to review and prioritise the application.
I would not try to change your office unless you are moving and even then, don't do it unless you really have to.

Since that time has passed, I think you should message them through the application portal (I'm assuming you lodged online) and ask if they can give you an estimated date.

Did you check the processing time for your office: https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

It looks like it's 40.5 months for that office. (that's about 3 years )

Do you have any special considerations, eg a child due to age out?

If your child is going to age out within the 40 months, then definitely contact them and let them know.

Edited by SirenDoll

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 4:46 AM, SirenDoll said:

dcq122118 -
You asked: 

My understanding was that my father DID have to attend the interview. And he did come with us.

At the door of USCIS, the security guard said that he couldn't come in. But once we were in and talking to the Immigration Officer, she said he needed to be there and told the Security guard to let him in.

And their current passport (their current nationality)
We took all the original paper versions of everything uploaded, but they didn't ask to see any of it.

zvi0102

You asked: 

It takes 30 days for them to review and prioritise the application.
I would not try to change your office unless you are moving and even then, don't do it unless you really have to.

Since that time has passed, I think you should message them through the application portal (I'm assuming you lodged online) and ask if they can give you an estimated date.

Did you check the processing time for your office: https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

It looks like it's 40.5 months for that office. (that's about 3 years )

Do you have any special considerations, eg a child due to age out?

If your child is going to age out within the 40 months, then definitely contact them and let them know.

As per the N-600K instructions:

Requests for Interview. We will request that child and the applicant (parent, grandparent, or legal guardian) appear at a USCIS office for an interview based on your application. At the time of any interview or other appearance at a USCIS office, we may require that you provide your biometrics to verify your identity and/or update background and security checks.

Your understanding was incorrect. Only the child and the applicant need to attend. We did not have any issues with my father not being present.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

So I had a couple of questions, this forum has been really helpful.

First, my father lives in another country and obviously I can not take his original passport with me to the interview. What can be done?

Second: after the interview a few people have mentioned they got the US passport in the US. Are we supposed to travel back on the new US passport if we get it , or can the child travel on the passport on which he entered? Because the return tickets will be on first passport.

Any other point that I should keep in mind. Any advice is welcome,

Thanks

Hi Beep:
>First, my father lives in another country and obviously I can not take his original passport with me to the interview. What can be done?
You are expected to take original documents with you.

Ideas:
You could ask the USCIS through the application form, as there is messaging there

You could ask your father to FedEx his passport to you

It may depend on what other original evidence that you have, but it would be better to ask USCIS directly.

>Second: after the interview a few people have mentioned they got the US passport in the US. Are we supposed to travel back on the new US >passport if we get it , or can the child travel on the passport on which he entered? Because the return tickets will be on first passport.

My understanding, and I am not a lawyer, is that the child had to enter AND leave on the original non-US passport. And as a US citizen is required  by law to use their US passport if they have one, I chose to not get the US passports while in the US.

Instead, we returned to our home country and have applied through our local consulate, and the passports are on their way.

Also, this whole process is a LOT, so adding on the application for passport and waiting for that to arrive in time before leaving the USA, it just made more sense to me to do it later, so I was not too stressed.

Thank you so much @SirenDoll for the reply. I also wanted to know that we got B Visas and even though we mentioned N600K process, we didnt get any special stamps on or visa about that. So at border  how  do we explain about N600K since we have visit visas. We will obviously take our appointment letter along. What was your experience?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.