OmarStuck

N-600K Complete Experience

155 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Great summary.  This is a rare process, so it is good to get a detailed summary for others.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2021 at 8:24 PM, OmarStuck said:

I have recently complete the N-600K process for my children and would like to share the A to Z experience.

Why N-600K?

I am a US citizen father married to a non-US citizen mother. We are living overseas on a temporary basis due to employment. Our son and daughter were both born overseas.

When we applied for Citizen Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for our first child, we were shocked to find out that my child was not born as a US citizen.

As per USCIS rules, the US citizen parent muse have lived in the US for 5 years with two years over the age of 14 for the children to be US citizens at birth.

I do not have the required residence time in the US so that was the reason the CRBA got rejected.

The N-600K allows your children to become US citizens if their grandparents meet the residency requirements mentioned above. However, you must be living overseas with your children!

The I-130 option was not suitable for us as we do not plan to live in the US in the near future. Additionally, the N-600K process takes much less time than the I-130 option.

Your children must be below 18 years old!

There are two steps to this process:

• Filing of N-600K form
  • Interview

N-600K filing

The N-600K form can be submitted online and it is fairly straightforward to fill out.

First of all, you must submit proof of US citizenship for yourself (US citizen parent) and the US citizen grandparent.

You must have proof that the US citizen grandparent has met the residency requirements mentioned previously. This could include transcripts, proof of employment, etc. 

In addition, you must show proof that you and your children live overseas.

You will also be required to select a field office which will do your interview. I would recommend you to choose a Field Office which has a direct flight from your country (just to make life easier). However, please take note that each field office is run differently (more on that later).

There is also a filing fee. I will not place a number here since it could change in the future.

Interview

The interview is a mandatory part of the process and must be done in the US.

Prepare your (US citizen) parent and your children's passport. If you need a B1/B2 visa for your children, make sure to apply for it ahead of time.

There will be a note on the B1/B2 visa (once you receive it) stating "Issued for Naturalization Pursuant to 9 FAM 402.2-4(B)(7)". The consular office might not be aware of this so make sure you bring all information necessary for B1/B2 visa.

Once the N-600K form has been accepted, you will be contacted by the field office to setup an interview date. Some field offices are more flexible than others with this.

The US citizen parent and the children must be in attendance for the interview.

Once you pass the interview, you will be given the Certificate of Citizenship. Congratulations!

Our Experience

We applied for the N-600K in October 2020 based on my parent's US residence. My parent and I are both US Citizens, of course.

We received a RFE from the field office and replied promptly and they accepted our case in December 2020. They informed us that we could choose any date 1 year from the acceptance date. We originally had it in another field office that asked us to come that month (during COVID!) so we requested to be moved to a different field office that was also convenient for us.

We scheduled our interview for July 2021.

We required visas for our children and we had no issues with the embassy with this regards.

The interview was straightforward. They asked me for proof of entry for the children and they saw my children. The interviewer was just cross-checking the information with me during the interview. 

Within one hour of the interview, the Certificate of Citizenship was ready for us and we finished the process!

Please feel free to comment below and I will answer any questions that come up.

Hello dear , thank you for this detailed summary. I am starting the same process as I am a US citizen but I left at the age of 14-15 with my parents who are also US citizens. I filed an N600k for my two children online while residing outside of the US.

When you filed online where you outside of the US? I later read on the USCIS website that it can't be filed online for those filing outside of the US? I just want to make sure it's being processed,  I received teo receipt notices for each child however I applied in March 2021 and still no approval. Thanks for your help in advance! 

26 minutes ago, Mandy124 said:

Hello dear , thank you for this detailed summary. I am starting the same process as I am a US citizen but I left at the age of 14-15 with my parents who are also US citizens. I filed an N600k for my two children online while residing outside of the US.

When you filed online where you outside of the US? I later read on the USCIS website that it can't be filed online for those filing outside of the US? I just want to make sure it's being processed,  I received teo receipt notices for each child however I applied in March 2021 and still no approval. Thanks for your help in advance! 

I left at a similar age and the process worked for me so best of luck!

There should be no issue with filing outside from the US. I am not sure where you found that. Could you link it?

If you received receipt notices, I am sure they are working on it. It depends on the field office itself so give them time. They should contact you soon hopefully. 

31 minutes ago, OmarStuck said:

I left at a similar age and the process worked for me so best of luck!

There should be no issue with filing outside from the US. I am not sure where you found that. Could you link it?

If you received receipt notices, I am sure they are working on it. It depends on the field office itself so give them time. They should contact you soon hopefully. 

I sure hope so! This where I read it, unfortunately I did not see the sentence before filing online. But you filed yours online as well from abroad yes? Thanks again for your reply! 

Screenshot_20210829-142226_Chrome.jpg

5 hours ago, Mandy124 said:

I sure hope so! This where I read it, unfortunately I did not see the sentence before filing online.

The sentence on the USCIS page is incorrect and N-600K can be filed online from abroad as OmarStuck did.

In fact, the vast majority of online applications are submitted from abroad. The DOS regulations even state that the children easily overcome INA 214(b) concerns when the parents live outside of the UShttps://fam.state.gov/fam/09fam/09fam040202.html "Naturalization under INA 322 is a permissible activity in B-2 status. You may issue a B-2 visa to an eligible foreign-born child to facilitate that child's expeditious naturalization pursuant to INA 322. The child must be under the age of 18 at the time INA 322 requirements are met. The child's intended naturalization, however, does not exempt the child from INA 214(b); the child must intend to return to a residence abroad after naturalization. A child whose parents are residing abroad will generally overcome the presumption of intended immigration, provided that the parents do not intend to resume residing in the United States, whereas a child whose parents habitually reside in the United States will not."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 8/29/2021 at 9:52 PM, HRQX said:

The sentence on the USCIS page is incorrect and N-600K can be filed online from abroad as OmarStuck did.

In fact, the vast majority of online applications are submitted from abroad. The DOS regulations even state that the children easily overcome INA 214(b) concerns when the parents live outside of the US "Naturalization under INA 322 is a permissible activity in B-2 status. You may issue a B-2 visa to an eligible foreign-born child to facilitate that child's expeditious naturalization pursuant to INA 322. The child must be under the age of 18 at the time INA 322 requirements are met. The child's intended naturalization, however, does not exempt the child from INA 214(b); the child must intend to return to a residence abroad after naturalization. A child whose parents are residing abroad will generally overcome the presumption of intended immigration, provided that the parents do not intend to resume residing in the United States, whereas a child whose parents habitually reside in the United States will not."

Hi HRQX,

Would appeciate your lcarity on the above. My children currently both hold valid B2 visas (we reside outside of the US) and I intend to start the immigration process for them using my father's residency requirement. Does this mean once my children receive citizenship via through N-600k they canNOT live in the US and have to return to their residence abroad?

Our USCIS journey:

Jan 14, 2006 - Married

Nov 11, 2009: I-130 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 18, 2009: Check cashed

Nov 20, 2009: I-130 NOA1

Dec 1, 2009: Touch

Feb 24, 2009: I-130 NOA2 mailed out

Timeline
On 8/20/2021 at 10:24 PM, OmarStuck said:

I have recently complete the N-600K process for my children and would like to share the A to Z experience.

Why N-600K?

I am a US citizen father married to a non-US citizen mother. We are living overseas on a temporary basis due to employment. Our son and daughter were both born overseas.

When we applied for Citizen Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for our first child, we were shocked to find out that my child was not born as a US citizen.

As per USCIS rules, the US citizen parent muse have lived in the US for 5 years with two years over the age of 14 for the children to be US citizens at birth.

I do not have the required residence time in the US so that was the reason the CRBA got rejected.

The N-600K allows your children to become US citizens if their grandparents meet the residency requirements mentioned above. However, you must be living overseas with your children!

The I-130 option was not suitable for us as we do not plan to live in the US in the near future. Additionally, the N-600K process takes much less time than the I-130 option.

Your children must be below 18 years old!

There are two steps to this process:

• Filing of N-600K form
  • Interview

N-600K filing

The N-600K form can be submitted online and it is fairly straightforward to fill out.

First of all, you must submit proof of US citizenship for yourself (US citizen parent) and the US citizen grandparent.

You must have proof that the US citizen grandparent has met the residency requirements mentioned previously. This could include transcripts, proof of employment, etc. 

In addition, you must show proof that you and your children live overseas.

You will also be required to select a field office which will do your interview. I would recommend you to choose a Field Office which has a direct flight from your country (just to make life easier). However, please take note that each field office is run differently (more on that later).

There is also a filing fee. I will not place a number here since it could change in the future.

Interview

The interview is a mandatory part of the process and must be done in the US.

Prepare your (US citizen) parent and your children's passport. If you need a B1/B2 visa for your children, make sure to apply for it ahead of time.

There will be a note on the B1/B2 visa (once you receive it) stating "Issued for Naturalization Pursuant to 9 FAM 402.2-4(B)(7)". The consular office might not be aware of this so make sure you bring all information necessary for B1/B2 visa.

Once the N-600K form has been accepted, you will be contacted by the field office to setup an interview date. Some field offices are more flexible than others with this.

The US citizen parent and the children must be in attendance for the interview.

Once you pass the interview, you will be given the Certificate of Citizenship. Congratulations!

Our Experience

We applied for the N-600K in October 2020 based on my parent's US residence. My parent and I are both US Citizens, of course.

We received a RFE from the field office and replied promptly and they accepted our case in December 2020. They informed us that we could choose any date 1 year from the acceptance date. We originally had it in another field office that asked us to come that month (during COVID!) so we requested to be moved to a different field office that was also convenient for us.

We scheduled our interview for July 2021.

We required visas for our children and we had no issues with the embassy with this regards.

The interview was straightforward. They asked me for proof of entry for the children and they saw my children. The interviewer was just cross-checking the information with me during the interview. 

Within one hour of the interview, the Certificate of Citizenship was ready for us and we finished the process!

Please feel free to comment below and I will answer any questions that come up.

Omar - thank you SO much for your detailed response. There is so little information available on this topic. I moved out of the US at the age of 14 with my parents. All of are US citizens. I am now planning to pursue this process for citizenship for my two children. A few questions for you:

1.  My father has been outside of the US for 25 years plus now and obtaining employment records and obtaining old tax returns is next to impossible. The N600k form only asks for two affidavits from family/friends testifying to the person's presence in the US. What proof of residency did you provide for the US citizen grandparent i.e. your father?

2. Is is possible to purse  this process if iIplan to relocated to the US? I intend to relocate back to to the US in a few months and planned to file the N600k before going. I'm confused as to in this case go the N600k or I-130 route.

Any help you can offer in this regard would be greatly appreciated!

Our USCIS journey:

Jan 14, 2006 - Married

2 hours ago, Ashes said:

Is is possible to purse  this process if iIplan to relocated to the US? I intend to relocate back to to the US in a few months and planned to file the N600k before going. I'm confused as to in this case go the N600k or I-130 route

In your case do the I-130 route. Upon US entry with the Immigrant Visas they become US citizens and are eligible for US passports: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/Intercountry-Adoption/adopt_ref/adoption-FAQs/child-citizenship-act-of-2000.html

you will need to present the following when applying for your child's U.S. passport:

• Proof of the child’s relationship to the U.S. citizen parent. For the biological child of a U.S. citizen, this generally will be a certified copy of the foreign birth certificate (and a translation if the birth certificate is not in English). For an adopted child, you must submit a certified copy of the final adoption decree (and a translation if the decree is not in English);
  • Proof the child is admitted as a lawful permanent resident, such as the child’s foreign passport with a I-551 stamp, or the child's permanent resident card (green card);
  • Proof of identity and citizenship of the U.S. citizen parent(s);
  • Evidence the child is residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent;
  • Completed Form DS-11 and supporting documents.

You do not have to pay the USCIS Immigrant Fees for the greencard production. Their CBP-endorsed Immigrant Visas are enough to show "the child is admitted as a lawful permanent resident"

You cannot do N-600K because when entering with B-2 visas there cannot be the intent to stay after the naturalization process; i.e. they must leave the US after the N-600K interview but can then return as US citizens with their US passports and thus stay as long as you want. See INA 214(b): "Every alien (other than a nonimmigrant described in subparagraph ( L) or (V) of section 1101(a)(15) of this title, and other than a nonimmigrant described in any provision of section 1101(a)(15)(H)(i) of this title except subclause (b1) of such section) shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for a visa, and the immigration officers, at the time of application for admission, that he is entitled to a nonimmigrant status under section 1101(a)(15) of this title." Also see INA 212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I): "Except as otherwise specifically provided in this chapter, any immigrant at the time of application for admission- who is not in possession of a valid unexpired immigrant visa, reentry permit, border crossing identification card, or other valid entry document required by this chapter, and a valid unexpired passport, or other suitable travel document, or document of identity and nationality if such document is required under the regulations issued by the Attorney General under section 1181(a) of this title, is inadmissible.

Edited by HRQX

18 hours ago, Ashes said:

Omar - thank you SO much for your detailed response. There is so little information available on this topic. I moved out of the US at the age of 14 with my parents. All of are US citizens. I am now planning to pursue this process for citizenship for my two children. A few questions for you:

1.  My father has been outside of the US for 25 years plus now and obtaining employment records and obtaining old tax returns is next to impossible. The N600k form only asks for two affidavits from family/friends testifying to the person's presence in the US. What proof of residency did you provide for the US citizen grandparent i.e. your father?

2. Is is possible to purse  this process if iIplan to relocated to the US? I intend to relocate back to to the US in a few months and planned to file the N600k before going. I'm confused as to in this case go the N600k or I-130 route.

Any help you can offer in this regard would be greatly appreciated!

I would not go through the N600K process if you plan to relocate to the US in the near future.

I do not think there is anything that would specifically prevent you to go through the N600K and then moving overseas and then moving to the US. 

With regards to your proof, I do not know how I can help. However, affidavits might help but might not be enough. They would probably send you a RFE asking for more evidence.

16 hours ago, HRQX said:

In your case do the I-130 route. Upon US entry with the Immigrant Visas they become US citizens and are eligible for US passports: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/Intercountry-Adoption/adopt_ref/adoption-FAQs/child-citizenship-act-of-2000.html

you will need to present the following when applying for your child's U.S. passport:

• Proof of the child’s relationship to the U.S. citizen parent. For the biological child of a U.S. citizen, this generally will be a certified copy of the foreign birth certificate (and a translation if the birth certificate is not in English). For an adopted child, you must submit a certified copy of the final adoption decree (and a translation if the decree is not in English);
  • Proof the child is admitted as a lawful permanent resident, such as the child’s foreign passport with a I-551 stamp, or the child's permanent resident card (green card);
  • Evidence the child is residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent;

You do not have to pay the USCIS Immigrant Fees for the greencard production. Their CBP-endorsed Immigrant Visas are enough to show "the child is admitted as a lawful permanent resident"

You cannot do N-600K because when entering with B-2 visas there cannot be the intent to stay after the naturalization process; i.e. they must leave the US after the N-600K interview but can then return as US citizens with their US passports and thus stay as long as you want. See INA 214(b): "Every alien (other than a nonimmigrant described in subparagraph ( L) or (V) of section 1101(a)(15) of this title, and other than a nonimmigrant described in any provision of section 1101(a)(15)(H)(i) of this title except subclause (b1) of such section) shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for a visa, and the immigration officers, at the time of application for admission, that he is entitled to a nonimmigrant status under section 1101(a)(15) of this title." Also see INA 212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I): "Except as otherwise specifically provided in this chapter, any immigrant at the time of application for admission- who is not in possession of a valid unexpired immigrant visa, reentry permit, border crossing identification card, or other valid entry document required by this chapter, and a valid unexpired passport, or other suitable travel document, or document of identity and nationality if such document is required under the regulations issued by the Attorney General under section 1181(a) of this title, is inadmissible.

Could you state in simple terms why they would not be able to do the N600K?

I do not see anything that specifically prevents them from applying if they move back overseas and then move back to the US a few months later.

Timeline
18 hours ago, HRQX said:

Thank you, HRQX. I've been so focused on the N-600k route that my I-I30 knowledge has gone a little rusty. I will review the procedure, however, would you be able to provide your guidance on the below:.

1. I have two children (11 and 7 years old) and a spouse, all non-US citizens. The two kids have valid B2 Visas, the spouse's B2 visa expired last month.

2. Keeping in mind your advice above, since I plan to relocate to the US by the end of 2021, I should avail the I-130 path.

3. Should I file for the I-130 for all 3 (kids+spouse) from Pakistan (current country of residence) or wait until I reach the US and then file or does it not make a difference?  I'm assuming the quicker the better and hence mail/file the paperwork asap ie from Pakistan?

4. If I want to have the kids travel with me when I go to the US  and live/go to school there while their I-130 application is processed would need a K3 visa for this? My understanding is children can't attend school on a visitor's visa.

Thank you again for ANY guidance you can provide the above!

Our USCIS journey:

Jan 14, 2006 - Married

53 minutes ago, Ashes said:

Should I file for the I-130 for all 3 (kids+spouse) from Pakistan (current country of residence) or wait until I reach the US and then file or does it not make a difference?

File the petitions ASAP. I recommend to either do direct filing at the Embassy (if eligible*) or do online filing: https://www.uscis.gov/i-130 It would be 3 separate petitions. For your spouse's petition you would also upload I-130A spouse supplement.

*One of the "exceptional circumstances" examples for direct filing is "Short notice of position relocation – A U.S. citizen petitioner, living and working abroad, has received a job offer in or reassignment to the United States with little notice for the required start date." https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-6-part-b-chapter-3

1 hour ago, Ashes said:

K3 visa

K-3 and K-4 visas were extremely rare before the pandemic and essentially non-existent since the 03/20/2020 DOS "Suspension of Routine Visa Services." https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-statistics/nonimmigrant-visa-statistics/monthly-nonimmigrant-visa-issuances.html

3 hours ago, OmarStuck said:

I do not see anything that specifically prevents them from applying if they move back overseas and then move back to the US a few months later.

That is an option. That is why I said they could then return with the US passports:

20 hours ago, HRQX said:

they must leave the US after the N-600K interview but can then return as US citizens with their US passports and thus stay as long as you want.

1 hour ago, HoHkey said:

and became citizen in 2020, kid born oversea in 2020.

@HoHkey, which occurred first? You becoming a US citizen or the child being born? All of your time in the US (including H1B and GC) counts towards "physical presence." Which of the following 5 scenarios applies to the child? https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Acquisition-US-Citizenship-Child-Born-Abroad.html

28 minutes ago, HRQX said:

File the petitions ASAP. I recommend to either do direct filing at the Embassy (if eligible*) or do online filing: https://www.uscis.gov/i-130 It would be 3 separate petitions. For your spouse's petition you would also upload I-130A spouse supplement.

*One of the "exceptional circumstances" examples for direct filing is "Short notice of position relocation – A U.S. citizen petitioner, living and working abroad, has received a job offer in or reassignment to the United States with little notice for the required start date." https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-6-part-b-chapter-3

K-3 and K-4 visas were extremely rare before the pandemic and essentially non-existent since the 03/20/2020 DOS "Suspension of Routine Visa Services." https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-statistics/nonimmigrant-visa-statistics/monthly-nonimmigrant-visa-issuances.html

That is an option. That is why I said they could then return with the US passports:

@HoHkey, which occurred first? You becoming a US citizen or the child being born? All of your time in the US (including H1B and GC) counts towards "physical presence." Which of the following 5 scenarios applies to the child? https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Acquisition-US-Citizenship-Child-Born-Abroad.html

Moved to US as F1-H1B-GC until 2020, citizen 2020, baby born 2022 oversea. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.