OmarStuck

N-600K Complete Experience

155 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Mrs. GQ said:

Question, when you applied for the B2 visa; did you applied for N600K first or B2 visa?

It doesn't matter. You can apply for either one first. Either way must still overcome INA 214(b) for the B-2: https://fam.state.gov/fam/09fam/09fam040202.html "Children Seeking Expeditious Naturalization under INA 322"

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2021 at 10:54 PM, OmarStuck said:

I have recently complete the N-600K process for my children and would like to share the A to Z experience.

Why N-600K?

I am a US citizen father married to a non-US citizen mother. We are living overseas on a temporary basis due to employment. Our son and daughter were both born overseas.

When we applied for Citizen Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for our first child, we were shocked to find out that my child was not born as a US citizen.

As per USCIS rules, the US citizen parent muse have lived in the US for 5 years with two years over the age of 14 for the children to be US citizens at birth.

I do not have the required residence time in the US so that was the reason the CRBA got rejected.

The N-600K allows your children to become US citizens if their grandparents meet the residency requirements mentioned above. However, you must be living overseas with your children!

The I-130 option was not suitable for us as we do not plan to live in the US in the near future. Additionally, the N-600K process takes much less time than the I-130 option.

Your children must be below 18 years old!

There are two steps to this process:

• Filing of N-600K form
  • Interview

N-600K filing

The N-600K form can be submitted online and it is fairly straightforward to fill out.

First of all, you must submit proof of US citizenship for yourself (US citizen parent) and the US citizen grandparent.

You must have proof that the US citizen grandparent has met the residency requirements mentioned previously. This could include transcripts, proof of employment, etc. 

In addition, you must show proof that you and your children live overseas.

You will also be required to select a field office which will do your interview. I would recommend you to choose a Field Office which has a direct flight from your country (just to make life easier). However, please take note that each field office is run differently (more on that later).

There is also a filing fee. I will not place a number here since it could change in the future.

Interview

The interview is a mandatory part of the process and must be done in the US.

Prepare your (US citizen) parent and your children's passport. If you need a B1/B2 visa for your children, make sure to apply for it ahead of time.

There will be a note on the B1/B2 visa (once you receive it) stating "Issued for Naturalization Pursuant to 9 FAM 402.2-4(B)(7)". The consular office might not be aware of this so make sure you bring all information necessary for B1/B2 visa.

Once the N-600K form has been accepted, you will be contacted by the field office to setup an interview date. Some field offices are more flexible than others with this.

The US citizen parent and the children must be in attendance for the interview.

Once you pass the interview, you will be given the Certificate of Citizenship. Congratulations!

Our Experience

We applied for the N-600K in October 2020 based on my parent's US residence. My parent and I are both US Citizens, of course.

We received a RFE from the field office and replied promptly and they accepted our case in December 2020. They informed us that we could choose any date 1 year from the acceptance date. We originally had it in another field office that asked us to come that month (during COVID!) so we requested to be moved to a different field office that was also convenient for us.

We scheduled our interview for July 2021.

We required visas for our children and we had no issues with the embassy with this regards.

The interview was straightforward. They asked me for proof of entry for the children and they saw my children. The interviewer was just cross-checking the information with me during the interview. 

Within one hour of the interview, the Certificate of Citizenship was ready for us and we finished the process!

Please feel free to comment below and I will answer any questions that come up.

Your message was of great help. I have a few questions. We are US citizens and live in India and have applied for a N600K for my 11 year old daughter.  Is there an oath ceremony ? So the process would be to get the certificate of citizenship after the interview and then apply for the US passport and then apply for an India Visa for my daughter to come back to India. Is that what you did too? How long did you have to stay in the US for getting this done? Any information in this regard will be very helpful.

Edited by Samjay

On 2/19/2022 at 2:24 PM, Samjay said:

Your message was of great help. I have a few questions. We are US citizens and live in India and have applied for a N600K for my 11 year old daughter.  Is there an oath ceremony ? So the process would be to get the certificate of citizenship after the interview and then apply for the US passport and then apply for an India Visa for my daughter to come back to India. Is that what you did too? How long did you have to stay in the US for getting this done? Any information in this regard will be very helpful.

There is no oath; only interview. We were done with the interview/certificate in one hour.

Ideally, you should apply for your daughter's passport before leaving the US; it is required by law but not really enforceable. We had already decided to apply for the US passport in our home country since passports were taking a long time in the US. 

I can not comment on your specific case since it seems India does not allow dual citizenship. It seems if you would need to renounce her Indian citizenship before leaving the US, getting your daughter the US passport, applying for visa, and then travelling to India. It would best to ask an Indian who has become a US citizen. 

11 hours ago, OmarStuck said:

There is no oath; only interview. We were done with the interview/certificate in one hour.

Ideally, you should apply for your daughter's passport before leaving the US; it is required by law but not really enforceable. We had already decided to apply for the US passport in our home country since passports were taking a long time in the US. 

I can not comment on your specific case since it seems India does not allow dual citizenship. It seems if you would need to renounce her Indian citizenship before leaving the US, getting your daughter the US passport, applying for visa, and then travelling to India. It would best to ask an Indian who has become a US citizen. 

Thank you very much for the information. Your posts have been of great help. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 1:36 PM, Samjay said:

Thank you very much for the information. Your posts have been of great help. 

On 2/21/2022 at 2:25 AM, OmarStuck said:

Were you able to obtain a US passport in your home country by showing them the certificate of naturalization? I assume your home country allows dual citizenship. 

Edited by Samjay

On 12/18/2021 at 5:06 AM, Mrs. GQ said:

Hello,

Thank you for this information. Question, when you applied for the B2 visa; did you applied for N600K first or B2 visa? 

Thank you so much

Sorry for the late response. I just saw this.

Either is fine. However, when you apply for a B2 visa for the N-600K they put a special note in the visa.

On 3/10/2022 at 10:49 PM, Samjay said:

Were you able to obtain a US passport in your home country by showing them the certificate of naturalization? I assume your home country allows dual citizenship. 

Yes, we had no problem.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 6:52 PM, HRQX said:

The sentence on the USCIS page is incorrect and N-600K can be filed online from abroad as OmarStuck did.

In fact, the vast majority of online applications are submitted from abroad. The DOS regulations even state that the children easily overcome INA 214(b) concerns when the parents live outside of the UShttps://fam.state.gov/fam/09fam/09fam040202.html "Naturalization under INA 322 is a permissible activity in B-2 status. You may issue a B-2 visa to an eligible foreign-born child to facilitate that child's expeditious naturalization pursuant to INA 322. The child must be under the age of 18 at the time INA 322 requirements are met. The child's intended naturalization, however, does not exempt the child from INA 214(b); the child must intend to return to a residence abroad after naturalization. A child whose parents are residing abroad will generally overcome the presumption of intended immigration, provided that the parents do not intend to resume residing in the United States, whereas a child whose parents habitually reside in the United States will not."

Hi! I have a similar question. I have completed the N-600K and then I read the line on the USCIS website (update Feb 2022), which sounds very confusing because 1) pretty much all applicants are outside of the U.S. so why they cannot file online, and 2) the online filing option hasn't been blocked or suspended in the USCIS account, it is possible to fill out the whole form. I stopped right before paying the fee and I don't know how to proceed, I don't want to lose 1,170 in fees if online really isn't allowed now. Has anyone tried filing online since Feb this year? Also, if submitting electronically can I use a credit card issued in another country? I know if filing the paper form and using G-1450 form for credit card transactions  one has to have a U.S. issued credit card. Thanks for any tips!

Because I also could not understand the instructions for filing online from abroad, ( you cannot enter a non-US phone number because there are too many digits with the country code), I ended up filing by paper, in November 2020. 
The paper checks were cashed after about a month, and it took even longer than that to get acknowledgment of the application. 
we still don’t have an acknowledgment of approval or request for any other documentation (documents are being actively received for over a month, mid-February)

Does anyone know how long it takes to receive acknowledgment of status so an appointment for the interview ( and plane tickets) can be arranged?

8 hours ago, Alex2022 said:

Hi! I have a similar question. I have completed the N-600K and then I read the line on the USCIS website (update Feb 2022), which sounds very confusing because 1) pretty much all applicants are outside of the U.S. so why they cannot file online, and 2) the online filing option hasn't been blocked or suspended in the USCIS account, it is possible to fill out the whole form. I stopped right before paying the fee and I don't know how to proceed, I don't want to lose 1,170 in fees if online really isn't allowed now. Has anyone tried filing online since Feb this year? Also, if submitting electronically can I use a credit card issued in another country? I know if filing the paper form and using G-1450 form for credit card transactions  one has to have a U.S. issued credit card. Thanks for any tips!

I have filled out the form online while living outside of the US. I have used my credit card that was not issued in the US.

4 hours ago, Gila said:

Because I also could not understand the instructions for filing online from abroad, ( you cannot enter a non-US phone number because there are too many digits with the country code), I ended up filing by paper, in November 2020. 
The paper checks were cashed after about a month, and it took even longer than that to get acknowledgment of the application. 
we still don’t have an acknowledgment of approval or request for any other documentation (documents are being actively received for over a month, mid-February)

Does anyone know how long it takes to receive acknowledgment of status so an appointment for the interview ( and plane tickets) can be arranged?

For the phone number, I put my parent's number in the US.

I filed for my daughter on paper and it took them around 6 months to get an appointment. This was a failed attempt in the end because of some travelling issues that we had. I did not include it in the original post as I wanted to make the post as straightforward as possible.

1 hour ago, OmarStuck said:

For the phone number, I put my parent's number in the US.

I filed for my daughter on paper and it took them around 6 months to get an appointment. This was a failed attempt in the end because of some travelling issues that we had. I did not include it in the original post as I wanted to make the post as straightforward as possible.

Thank you!

For an N600k-Adoption have a few quesitons, sorry for the dual posts, not sure whats best to post?

Question  #1. When did Physical custody begin? The child is a step child before being adopted so lived many years before together, what do I put?

Question 2. Where do I upload documents of the adoption Decree’s? I don’t see anywhere to upload that?

Question 3. Do I need to upload any evidence of the adoption or child living together? If so where to upload it?

Question #4.  Do I need to show the old birth certificate or just the new one?

Thanks

6 hours ago, azkun4 said:

For an N600k-Adoption have a few quesitons, sorry for the dual posts, not sure whats best to post?

Question  #1. When did Physical custody begin? The child is a step child before being adopted so lived many years before together, what do I put?

Question 2. Where do I upload documents of the adoption Decree’s? I don’t see anywhere to upload that?

Question 3. Do I need to upload any evidence of the adoption or child living together? If so where to upload it?

Question #4.  Do I need to show the old birth certificate or just the new one?

Thanks

Sorry, the children are my own biological children so I can not help with this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.