OmarStuck

N-600K Complete Experience

155 posts in this topic

Hey Alura,

First off all congratulations! What an exciting time!

You have 17 years to sort out an N-600K, so I recommend that you try the CRBA with the Consulate first. 

If that is not successful then come back here and let’s talk.

To answer your question though, the purpose of the N-600K is to get a Certificate of Citizenship to prove your child is a citizen. It can then be used to get the US passport. So yes, you can get an N-600K. 

The downside of the N-600K vs CRBA is the expense ($1000+ USD) and time taken.  The N-600K can take a few years.

Try the CRBA first. 

16 hours ago, SirenDoll said:

Hey Alura,

First off all congratulations! What an exciting time!

You have 17 years to sort out an N-600K, so I recommend that you try the CRBA with the Consulate first. 

If that is not successful then come back here and let’s talk.

To answer your question though, the purpose of the N-600K is to get a Certificate of Citizenship to prove your child is a citizen. It can then be used to get the US passport. So yes, you can get an N-600K. 

The downside of the N-600K vs CRBA is the expense ($1000+ USD) and time taken.  The N-600K can take a few years.

Try the CRBA first. 

Thank you SirenDoll!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Just wanted to share my experience here as I found this forum helpful while applying for citizenship for my children via N-600K form.

I was first turned on to this N-600k form after emailing the US Consulate in Calgary, AB (where I reside) - I emailed them and they responded to my email same day.

I am dual US/Canadian citizen (wife Canadian citizen), I did not meet the residency requirements to fill birth abroad applications for my children because I moved to Canada before I turned 14 (residency requirement 2 years of consecutive residency after you are 14 years old).

I have 4 children to fill N-600K applications for, using my father's (children's paternal grandfather's) residency as he was born in the USA and lived in US for more than 2 years after age 14. 

I had to create 4 different USCIS accounts with 4 different emails, and pay the fee 4 times. about $1,140/ea

I filled the applications in online, paid online etc. I reside in Canada (abroad) and this wasn't an issue.

I had to provide proof of my father's residency in the US ie mortgage, utility, social security documents, as well as high school diploma etc etc all helped. I uploaded these scans online.

I sent the application online on February 13th 2023, and chose the Helena, MT office as it is a days drive from where we live in Canada and had an estimated processing time of 8mo for this application (we were then anticipating a trip in fall 2023, some USCIS offices had 50+ month processing times, while one or two had 2-3mo processing times. I think 4 or 5 had the 8-13mo processing times) I used this link:

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

I didn't hear anything until March 21st 2023, when I got an email from the Helena, MT USCIS office saying the applications we're approved and requesting to set an interview time at the office.

In the email they requested I bring all original documents that I submitted via scan and upload AND that when we enter the USA for the appointment that I request at the port of entry from the boarder agent to stamp our passports to show legal entry - they don't normally stamp Canadian passports from my experience unless requested. Also sent me pdf acceptance letters for use at the boarder if they questioned our entry and requested that we bring the printed acceptance docs to the interview (ended up showing it to the security agent at the USCIS office in Helena) The mailed versions arrived the week before we left on the trip, so I guess they sent the pdf version incase the mailed version didn't arrive in time. The acceptance letter was addressed to my children, with 'C/O' then child's name - it was mailed to my address though (same address the kids reside at)

The earliest date they had was April 10th 2023, we chose the April 17th 2023 appointment date (they had appointments available every Monday from April 10th - mid June to choose from), they scheduled all 4 kids for appointments 1h apart (9am, 10am, 11am and 12pm) for the same day. 

I had to ask via email if my father needed to attend (it wasn't clear in any instructions) and the answer was YES - as he was the one we were using residency for for the applications. 

We planned the trip to Montana and attending the interviews on Monday, April 17th 2023 at 9am. When we crossed the boarder I requested the passports be stamped - no issue took a couple mins, I think he talked to his supervisor. Asked 'so you're trying to escape Canada?' in a cheeky way with a smile, I said 'eventually'. Let us in no problem (we have travelled frequently to the US - by land and air - with the kids over the last year, spending about 5mo+ in the US just travelling as 'tourists') So I'm sure they can see that in their system.

On Monday, April 17th 2023 at 9am we showed up to the office about 10mins early, one person in line in front of us. At security we asked the very friendly officers if we could bring all 4 kids in at once, he called up to the adjudicating officer and allowed all 4 kids, myself and my father into his office for the interviews.

The interview was my father and I taking an oath to tell the truth (raise your right hand and repeat after me), we were in his office for about 20mins (with all 4 children 7 and younger), officer was just looking over my passport, my fathers (US Passports for both) and my Children's 4 Canadian passports and verifying the stamp we received at the land boarder (stamp said B1/B2 visa, with B2 circled) 

Officer was friendly and patient with all 4 of my wild children in his office. I had to do 4 digital signatures, didn't read what I was signing. He kept saying 'this is an easy one, cause they're young - just need a few signatures'. Didn't look at any original documents or ask us any questions.

After we were done in his office my dad took the kids to the van, I waited in the waiting area for 15mins and he came out with the 4 printed citizenship documents and 4 mini American flags, asked if I had any questions, said congrats and shook my hand and I was on my way. 

So I started gathering the documents for this application January 15th 2023, eventually sent in the application on February 13th 2023, and received first response on March 21st 2023, and kids got their citizenship on April 17th 2023

Now, I have scheduled the US passport application 'interviews' at the US Embassy in Calgary, AB in late May for all 4 kids. So all in all it seems like the process for us from first gathering documents to kids having passports will be less than 6 months. 

Seems like this experience is abnormal on the speed side of things, but might also be because I chose a 'quiet' office and had all my ducks in a row?

To summarize the requirements we met:

1. Paternal Grandfather (grandmother is not US Citizen) met residency requirements to pass citizenship to grandchildren 

a. Father US citizen, did not meet residency requirements to pass citizenship to children. (mother non-us citizen, children born outside of US)

2. Created separate online logins with 4 different emails, paid fee 4 times. (I created 4 different emails, and setup autoforwarding to my primary email address so I would get the notifications still)

3. Found a USCIS office with quick processing times: https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

4. As part of the application got my I-94 form to show lawful entry would occur from this website: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search (arrival/departure records)

5. Submitted online application and paid $1,140 fee for each separate application: https://myaccount.uscis.gov/

6. Waited for response from the local office I selected in the application (see #3)

7. Got a personal email from the field office, once interview was scheduled I got automatic email notification from USCIS account saying interview scheduled. 

8. Brought all original documents AND my father to scheduled interview AND got land border agent to stamp kids passports to show lawful entry. 

9. Interview for children (7y/o and younger), no questions asked, signed some paperwork, confirmed lawful entry to USA and printed citizenship certificates.

10. Fill out passport application and schedule appointments with local US Embassy in my home country for children to receive US passports  

Happy to answer any questions, but that's the summary!

Good Luck!

Eric Peterson

Black Kettle Consulting

Canada

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2023 at 9:00 PM, Eric Peterson said:

Just wanted to share my experience here as I found this forum helpful while applying for citizenship for my children via N-600K form.

I was first turned on to this N-600k form after emailing the US Consulate in Calgary, AB (where I reside) - I emailed them and they responded to my email same day.

I am dual US/Canadian citizen (wife Canadian citizen), I did not meet the residency requirements to fill birth abroad applications for my children because I moved to Canada before I turned 14 (residency requirement 2 years of consecutive residency after you are 14 years old).

I have 4 children to fill N-600K applications for, using my father's (children's paternal grandfather's) residency as he was born in the USA and lived in US for more than 2 years after age 14. 

I had to create 4 different USCIS accounts with 4 different emails, and pay the fee 4 times. about $1,140/ea

I filled the applications in online, paid online etc. I reside in Canada (abroad) and this wasn't an issue.

I had to provide proof of my father's residency in the US ie mortgage, utility, social security documents, as well as high school diploma etc etc all helped. I uploaded these scans online.

I sent the application online on February 13th 2023, and chose the Helena, MT office as it is a days drive from where we live in Canada and had an estimated processing time of 8mo for this application (we were then anticipating a trip in fall 2023, some USCIS offices had 50+ month processing times, while one or two had 2-3mo processing times. I think 4 or 5 had the 8-13mo processing times) I used this link:

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

I didn't hear anything until March 21st 2023, when I got an email from the Helena, MT USCIS office saying the applications we're approved and requesting to set an interview time at the office.

In the email they requested I bring all original documents that I submitted via scan and upload AND that when we enter the USA for the appointment that I request at the port of entry from the boarder agent to stamp our passports to show legal entry - they don't normally stamp Canadian passports from my experience unless requested. Also sent me pdf acceptance letters for use at the boarder if they questioned our entry and requested that we bring the printed acceptance docs to the interview (ended up showing it to the security agent at the USCIS office in Helena) The mailed versions arrived the week before we left on the trip, so I guess they sent the pdf version incase the mailed version didn't arrive in time. The acceptance letter was addressed to my children, with 'C/O' then child's name - it was mailed to my address though (same address the kids reside at)

The earliest date they had was April 10th 2023, we chose the April 17th 2023 appointment date (they had appointments available every Monday from April 10th - mid June to choose from), they scheduled all 4 kids for appointments 1h apart (9am, 10am, 11am and 12pm) for the same day. 

I had to ask via email if my father needed to attend (it wasn't clear in any instructions) and the answer was YES - as he was the one we were using residency for for the applications. 

We planned the trip to Montana and attending the interviews on Monday, April 17th 2023 at 9am. When we crossed the boarder I requested the passports be stamped - no issue took a couple mins, I think he talked to his supervisor. Asked 'so you're trying to escape Canada?' in a cheeky way with a smile, I said 'eventually'. Let us in no problem (we have travelled frequently to the US - by land and air - with the kids over the last year, spending about 5mo+ in the US just travelling as 'tourists') So I'm sure they can see that in their system.

On Monday, April 17th 2023 at 9am we showed up to the office about 10mins early, one person in line in front of us. At security we asked the very friendly officers if we could bring all 4 kids in at once, he called up to the adjudicating officer and allowed all 4 kids, myself and my father into his office for the interviews.

The interview was my father and I taking an oath to tell the truth (raise your right hand and repeat after me), we were in his office for about 20mins (with all 4 children 7 and younger), officer was just looking over my passport, my fathers (US Passports for both) and my Children's 4 Canadian passports and verifying the stamp we received at the land boarder (stamp said B1/B2 visa, with B2 circled) 

Officer was friendly and patient with all 4 of my wild children in his office. I had to do 4 digital signatures, didn't read what I was signing. He kept saying 'this is an easy one, cause they're young - just need a few signatures'. Didn't look at any original documents or ask us any questions.

After we were done in his office my dad took the kids to the van, I waited in the waiting area for 15mins and he came out with the 4 printed citizenship documents and 4 mini American flags, asked if I had any questions, said congrats and shook my hand and I was on my way. 

So I started gathering the documents for this application January 15th 2023, eventually sent in the application on February 13th 2023, and received first response on March 21st 2023, and kids got their citizenship on April 17th 2023

Now, I have scheduled the US passport application 'interviews' at the US Embassy in Calgary, AB in late May for all 4 kids. So all in all it seems like the process for us from first gathering documents to kids having passports will be less than 6 months. 

Seems like this experience is abnormal on the speed side of things, but might also be because I chose a 'quiet' office and had all my ducks in a row?

To summarize the requirements we met:

1. Paternal Grandfather (grandmother is not US Citizen) met residency requirements to pass citizenship to grandchildren 

a. Father US citizen, did not meet residency requirements to pass citizenship to children. (mother non-us citizen, children born outside of US)

2. Created separate online logins with 4 different emails, paid fee 4 times. (I created 4 different emails, and setup autoforwarding to my primary email address so I would get the notifications still)

3. Found a USCIS office with quick processing times: https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

4. As part of the application got my I-94 form to show lawful entry would occur from this website: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search (arrival/departure records)

5. Submitted online application and paid $1,140 fee for each separate application: https://myaccount.uscis.gov/

6. Waited for response from the local office I selected in the application (see #3)

7. Got a personal email from the field office, once interview was scheduled I got automatic email notification from USCIS account saying interview scheduled. 

8. Brought all original documents AND my father to scheduled interview AND got land border agent to stamp kids passports to show lawful entry. 

9. Interview for children (7y/o and younger), no questions asked, signed some paperwork, confirmed lawful entry to USA and printed citizenship certificates.

10. Fill out passport application and schedule appointments with local US Embassy in my home country for children to receive US passports  

Happy to answer any questions, but that's the summary!

Good Luck!

Eric Peterson

Black Kettle Consulting

Canada

Thanks for adding your experience.

It seems that the grandfather is required to attend as per most of the posts.

My father was not required and that could possibly be due to COVID 19 restrictions at the time.

I may edit my original post to reflect that if more people post that the grandfather was required.

On 8/20/2021 at 8:24 PM, OmarStuck said:

I have recently complete the N-600K process for my children and would like to share the A to Z experience.

Why N-600K?

I am a US citizen father married to a non-US citizen mother. We are living overseas on a temporary basis due to employment. Our son and daughter were both born overseas.

When we applied for Citizen Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for our first child, we were shocked to find out that my child was not born as a US citizen.

As per USCIS rules, the US citizen parent muse have lived in the US for 5 years with two years over the age of 14 for the children to be US citizens at birth.

I do not have the required residence time in the US so that was the reason the CRBA got rejected.

The N-600K allows your children to become US citizens if their grandparents meet the residency requirements mentioned above. However, you must be living overseas with your children!

The I-130 option was not suitable for us as we do not plan to live in the US in the near future. Additionally, the N-600K process takes much less time than the I-130 option.

Your children must be below 18 years old!

There are two steps to this process:

• Filing of N-600K form
  • Interview

N-600K filing

The N-600K form can be submitted online and it is fairly straightforward to fill out.

First of all, you must submit proof of US citizenship for yourself (US citizen parent) and the US citizen grandparent.

You must have proof that the US citizen grandparent has met the residency requirements mentioned previously. This could include transcripts, proof of employment, etc. 

In addition, you must show proof that you and your children live overseas.

You will also be required to select a field office which will do your interview. I would recommend you to choose a Field Office which has a direct flight from your country (just to make life easier). However, please take note that each field office is run differently (more on that later).

There is also a filing fee. I will not place a number here since it could change in the future.

Interview

The interview is a mandatory part of the process and must be done in the US.

Prepare your (US citizen) parent and your children's passport. If you need a B1/B2 visa for your children, make sure to apply for it ahead of time.

There will be a note on the B1/B2 visa (once you receive it) stating "Issued for Naturalization Pursuant to 9 FAM 402.2-4(B)(7)". The consular office might not be aware of this so make sure you bring all information necessary for B1/B2 visa.

Once the N-600K form has been accepted, you will be contacted by the field office to setup an interview date. Some field offices are more flexible than others with this.

The US citizen parent and the children must be in attendance for the interview.

Once you pass the interview, you will be given the Certificate of Citizenship. Congratulations!

Our Experience

We applied for the N-600K in October 2020 based on my parent's US residence. My parent and I are both US Citizens, of course.

We received a RFE from the field office and replied promptly and they accepted our case in December 2020. They informed us that we could choose any date 1 year from the acceptance date. We originally had it in another field office that asked us to come that month (during COVID!) so we requested to be moved to a different field office that was also convenient for us.

We scheduled our interview for July 2021.

We required visas for our children and we had no issues with the embassy with this regards.

The interview was straightforward. They asked me for proof of entry for the children and they saw my children. The interviewer was just cross-checking the information with me during the interview. 

Within one hour of the interview, the Certificate of Citizenship was ready for us and we finished the process!

Please feel free to comment below and I will answer any questions that come up.

Dear Omar... This is very helpful.. When you say the US citizen parent... Does that mean the child's parents or the the grand parent... We have the same case where the child's parent never been in US before but holding the US passport so we are planning to utilize the grandparent's credit... In this case, is the presence of the grandparent essential during the interview in US or the child's parent is enough? 

Hi Rami,
> is the presence of the grandparent essential during the interview in US or the child's parent is enough? 

My experience was that the US citizen grandparent was required at the interview.

I am a US Citizen, but did not have enough US residency to qualify. My father was necessary to attend the USCIS interview. He is US Citizen, and had the required US residency.

Hi Rami

>> is the presence of the grandparent essential during the interview in US or the child's parent is enough? 

Just thought I would add my experience on this as it seems to be different to other people's. We haven't had our interview yet (still in the process of scheduling it) but our email from the USCIS Officer states that the qualifying grandparent does NOT have to attend the interview. 

I am the US citizen parent. My dad is the qualifying grandparent and we have used his physical presence in the US for our children's N-600K applications. But my dad, the grandparent, is not required to attend the interview. This is from the email inviting us to schedule an interview (email is from May 2023): "The U.S. citizen parent and the child are required to appear for the interview; the U.S. citizen Grandparent is not required to attend."

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, Kate987 said:

Hi Rami

>> is the presence of the grandparent essential during the interview in US or the child's parent is enough? 

Just thought I would add my experience on this as it seems to be different to other people's. We haven't had our interview yet (still in the process of scheduling it) but our email from the USCIS Officer states that the qualifying grandparent does NOT have to attend the interview. 

I am the US citizen parent. My dad is the qualifying grandparent and we have used his physical presence in the US for our children's N-600K applications. But my dad, the grandparent, is not required to attend the interview. This is from the email inviting us to schedule an interview (email is from May 2023): "The U.S. citizen parent and the child are required to appear for the interview; the U.S. citizen Grandparent is not required to attend."

Interesting! I think the best practice is to ask the officer once they reach out via email to schedule the interview. It doesn't hurt to ask, and seems vary from office to office!

Hello, I have a question concerning the online form N600K, I have made everything right and completed every part and uploaded every document. In the last part of the form, in the SUMMARY section,  everything is correct, but when I click and see the Draft Case Snapshot, it does not appear complete, the systems does not pull all my answers and the PDF form appears incomplete. I have even checked that all my answers were correctly filled out but, don't know what else to do. I am scared to send it just like that. I have tried to contact Uscis but was not possible.and they take too long answering. Please I would appreciate your guidance with this matter. 

2 minutes ago, reey said:

I noticed the same on my part.personaly i think its ok as its just a draft.As long as on your part you filled correctly

Thank you!!

Did you send your application just like that? did Uscis received it? please let me know,  what did you do and what happened next;

I find it too risky since the fee is not refundable. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.