L&J@T

Do we need to submit Form I-693?

16 posts in this topic

My then fiancee, now wife got her K1 medical examination overseas this January 2021. We are filing form I-485 for adjustment of status and are confused about whether we need to see a civil surgeon for the I-693. Her DS-3025 was marked as complete but she does not have any Tdap record. Also, she only received the first dose of MMR and Varicella. Does anyone have advice?

Screenshot_20210609_152416.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
44 minutes ago, L&J@T said:

My then fiancee, now wife got her K1 medical examination overseas this January 2021. We are filing form I-485 for adjustment of status and are confused about whether we need to see a civil surgeon for the I-693. Her DS-3025 was marked as complete but she does not have any Tdap record. Also, she only received the first dose of MMR and Varicella. Does anyone have advice?

Marked complete,  is complete. 

I693 not required 

Any vaccination that requires a series, only requires the series be started not necessarily completed. 

YMMV

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

We just had this issue when preparing my wife' AOS packet and the local civil surgeon was very helpful.  You are good on the varicella and MMR vaccine for now, just need to show that the cycle was completed at the interview.  The Tdap is the issue, she was given a waiver for the K1 visa because the vaccine was not available. (My wife had the same issue with both the Tdap and MMR.)  But she is still expected to get the Tdap vaccine for her green card, the waiver for the K1 visa does not carry over to the green card application.  The civil surgeon let us go the local government health department to get the vaccines, bring the proof of vaccination and an I-693 with parts 1-5 completed to his office, he reviewed the vaccination papers and filled out parts 7 and 10 on the I-693, and sealed it in an envelop to send with her packet just like when she had her full medical exam.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, jd_malachi said:

We just had this issue when preparing my wife' AOS packet and the local civil surgeon was very helpful.  You are good on the varicella and MMR vaccine for now, just need to show that the cycle was completed at the interview.  The Tdap is the issue, she was given a waiver for the K1 visa because the vaccine was not available. (My wife had the same issue with both the Tdap and MMR.)  But she is still expected to get the Tdap vaccine for her green card, the waiver for the K1 visa does not carry over to the green card application.  The civil surgeon let us go the local government health department to get the vaccines, bring the proof of vaccination and an I-693 with parts 1-5 completed to his office, he reviewed the vaccination papers and filled out parts 7 and 10 on the I-693, and sealed it in an envelop to send with her packet just like when she had her full medical exam.

The waiver DOES carry over to the GC application, as long as they filed for AOS within 1 year of the date of the medical. The instructions say that if a waiver was given because the vaccine was not routinely available, the vaccine is not required anymore. OP received a D waiver, so they don't need to get the vaccine again.

"In the context of overseas vaccinations, the term panel physicians use to indicate the unavailability of a vaccine is “not routinely available.” Therefore, if the adjustment applicant is permitted to use the vaccination assessment completed overseas, [11] then officers should not find the applicant inadmissible solely based on the lack of the vaccine(s) that is “not routinely available.” Officers should also not issue an RFE for corrective action. USCIS will grant a blanket waiver in these cases."

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-9

Edited by Ayrton

Timeline
14 hours ago, L&J@T said:

Read the part of the instructions that I posted above. Your spouse doesn't need to take the vaccine and is good to go as long as they file for AOS within 1 year of the medical.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I am simply going by what the civil surgeon I talked to said and he had dealt with people who DID get an RFE for this very reason, I was not prepared to roll the dice and take that risk.

Edited by jd_malachi

Timeline
16 minutes ago, jd_malachi said:

I am simply going by what the civil surgeon I talked to said and he had dealt with people who DID get an RFE for this very reason, I was not prepared to roll the dice and take that risk.

Then that's your choice to believe in what they say. Civil Surgeons don't work for USCIS. They want their money, that's why most of the times they will perform the whole medical when it's not required for K1, just to get the money.

I'm showing what the policy is. And the policy is pretty clear when it says that it's NOT required.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ayrton said:

Then that's your choice to believe in what they say. Civil Surgeons don't work for USCIS. They want their money, that's why most of the times they will perform the whole medical when it's not required for K1, just to get the money.

I'm showing what the policy is. And the policy is pretty clear when it says that it's NOT required.

Could not be more clear.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline
21 hours ago, payxibka said:

Marked complete,  is complete. 

I693 not required 

Any vaccination that requires a series, only requires the series be started not necessarily completed. 

When I got my visa packet from the embassy there was also a folder for me with some documents in it. Among those where the full medical exam (including the vaccination part of it). I'm not sure if that's the actual I-693 or not or just something else that the doctor back in Sweden filled out for the visa medical, but I was going to send the whole thing with my AOS packet just to be on the safe side since it was given to me by the embassy. Is this correct?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, stuckonyou said:

When I got my visa packet from the embassy there was also a folder for me with some documents in it. Among those where the full medical exam (including the vaccination part of it). I'm not sure if that's the actual I-693 or not or just something else that the doctor back in Sweden filled out for the visa medical, but I was going to send the whole thing with my AOS packet just to be on the safe side since it was given to me by the embassy. Is this correct?

It's not the i693 because the i693 is a USCIS form and not a consulate form.

You can submit a copy, but it is not required because the medical information needs to have maintained "chain of custody" control and the documents in your possesion have had the chain broken.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

• 9 months later...

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I figured I would add an update in case it might benefit others in the future. Also, I have a follow-up question.

We filed our form I-485 without the I-693 (NOA date 2021-06-28) without issue. We received notice that our interview is scheduled at the end of this month (March 2022). My follow-up question is, do we need to bring an I-693 to the interview? Based on previous forum posts (e.g. the thread linked below), I suspect that the answer is no, we don't need an I-693, but I'd like to confirm that. Also, my wife completed her vaccinations (MMR, TDAP, varicella) in the interim. Do we need to bring proof of that to the interview?

Edited by L&J@T
typos

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
On 3/10/2022 at 9:28 PM, L&J@T said:

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I figured I would add an update in case it might benefit others in the future. Also, I have a follow-up question.

We filed our form I-485 without the I-693 (NOA date 2021-06-28) without issue. We received notice that our interview is scheduled at the end of this month (March 2022). My follow-up question is, do we need to bring an I-693 to the interview? Based on previous forum posts (e.g. the thread linked below), I suspect that the answer is no, we don't need an I-693, but I'd like to confirm that. Also, my wife completed her vaccinations (MMR, TDAP, varicella) in the interim. Do we need to bring proof of that to the interview?

Had my AOS Interview today - we were approved but i was asked to do a new medical as the validity is 2 years???

is this correct ?

i was under the impression that as long as we filed for AOS incl the medical within 1 year all is good - 

any pointers thoughts and Ideas are welcome 

On 3/15/2022 at 1:10 AM, Viking said:

Had my AOS Interview today - we were approved but i was asked to do a new medical as the validity is 2 years???

is this correct ?

i was under the impression that as long as we filed for AOS incl the medical within 1 year all is good - 

any pointers thoughts and Ideas are welcome 

We have our interview next month and were under the same impression as referenced below and in section 4 here: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-3#footnote-27. Very strange...

@L&J@T would you mind updating us as to how your interview goes with regard to the I-693? We are under the same impression as our AOS receipt date is within 1 year of our K1 medical. 

• 2 weeks later...

@visajourneydr Here's the update.

We finished our interview. Our interviewing officer asked us basic questions about our relationship (e.g. how we met, when we thought of marriage, how often we visited each other, how our wedding went, where we've traveled since). We showed him our passports, certified marriage certificate, and several recent pictures. He was friendly and pleasant throughout and the conversation went smoothly (in total, maybe 20 minutes of talking). And that was it. He didn't ask to see any other of the documentation listed on the USCIS letter that we had brought (e.g. birth certificates, affidavit of support -- I guess he had the copies from our I-485). I was surprised, but he said that he had enough information.

In particular, he did not ask about the I-693 or anything vaccination related.

We were approved the day after the interview.

3 minutes ago, L&J@T said:

@visajourneydr Here's the update.

We finished our interview. Our interviewing officer asked us basic questions about our relationship (e.g. how we met, when we thought of marriage, how often we visited each other, how our wedding went, where we've traveled since). We showed him our passports, certified marriage certificate, and several recent pictures. He was friendly and pleasant throughout and the conversation went smoothly (in total, maybe 20 minutes of talking). And that was it. He didn't ask to see any other of the documentation listed on the USCIS letter that we had brought (e.g. birth certificates, affidavit of support -- I guess he had the copies from our I-485). I was surprised, but he said that he had enough information.

In particular, he did not ask about the I-693 or anything vaccination related.

We were approved the day after the interview.

@L&J@T thanks for the update and congrats, that's really encouraging to hear! Ours is less than a week away, hopefully we get a similar outcome. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.