LizBogdan

SSA - mailing original docs?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

With local offices closed for in-person appointments, has anyone mailed in their original documents to an SSA office with the app? If so, through what service? (USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc) I'm debating the wisdom of doing this with my fiance's passport. I'm worried it would be lost.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yes,  I sent original documents to SSA Local Office.  I did send it Express Mail - USPS so it can be tracked and arrive in one day.  They did not have a dropbox.  Also, FYI - I was told by my local office that the mail sits for 7 days before they open it.  They will scan your documents and mail them back to you.  I would check two weeks after you mailed the documents to your local office by calling them and then check every week after that.  I receive my original documents back long before the SSA card was issued.  

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
On 5/31/2021 at 9:30 AM, LizBogdan said:

With local offices closed for in-person appointments, has anyone mailed in their original documents to an SSA office with the app? If so, through what service? (USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc) I'm debating the wisdom of doing this with my fiance's passport. I'm worried it would be lost.

No longer required. Read on.  

On 5/31/2021 at 10:28 AM, igoyougoduke said:

you have no choice but some offices can setup an appointment to drop the documents in the SSA office drop box. so ask them about dropbox 

The policy has changed. 

SSA has issued a new policy that will allow non citizens  to get an SSN or updated SS card without sending a passport, EAD, green card,  or other irreplaceable document:

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/reference.nsf/links/05262021015248PM

Individuals also qualify for an EXI if they are unable or unwilling to mail original evidence documents. 

AND

IMPORTANT: Do NOT request a non-citizen to submit his or her immigration documents by mail or using the drop box. Due to DHS regulations, non-citizens are required to have their immigration documents in their possession at all times (GN00303.610.B).”

Do not allow yourself to be badgered by an SSA bureaucrat into breaking the law.  Do not yield possession of these documents.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
6 hours ago, Mike E said:

The policy has changed. 

SSA has issued a new policy that will allow non citizens  to get an SSN or updated SS card without sending a passport, EAD, green card,  or other irreplaceable document:

Individuals also qualify for an EXI if they are unable or unwilling to mail original evidence documents. 

AND

IMPORTANT: Do NOT request a non-citizen to submit his or her immigration documents by mail or using the drop box. Due to DHS regulations, non-citizens are required to have their immigration documents in their possession at all times (GN00303.610.B).”

Do not allow yourself to be badgered by an SSA bureaucrat into breaking the law.  Do not yield possession of these documents.  

I've called three different offices and received three different answers. It's beyond frustrating that government officials don't know how to do their job or will not listen when you provide their source and policy. One lady actually told me that the immigration officials at the airport automatically apply on the K1 beneficiary's behalf upon entry so to wait for it to come in the mail. 

We've decided to go the dropbox route because I've given up on calling around in hopes of finding a semi knowledgeable person, or at least a person who will listen. 

Thank you for providing guidance and links.  

Timeline
10 minutes ago, LizBogdan said:

I've called three different offices and received three different answers. It's beyond frustrating that government officials don't know how to do their job or will not listen when you provide their source and policy. One lady actually told me that the immigration officials at the airport automatically apply on the K1 beneficiary's behalf upon entry so to wait for it to come in the mail. 

We've decided to go the dropbox route because I've given up on calling around in hopes of finding a semi knowledgeable person, or at least a person who will listen. 

Thank you for providing guidance and links.  

Try referring to the policy number EM-21041 and you should get an appointment 

Edited by Mike E

On 6/8/2021 at 11:44 PM, Mike E said:

The policy has changed. 

AND

policy and what the offices say are completely different things. i tried updating my SSN and they told me i have to send original passport and green card . i said no thanks 

duh

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
On 6/9/2021 at 8:32 AM, Mike E said:

Try referring to the policy number EM-21041 and you should get an appointment 

Depending on what you want. I need to get my name changed and have been told that's not a dire enough situation that would allow an appointment 😒

Timeline
5 hours ago, igoyougoduke said:

policy and what the offices say are completely different things. i tried updating my SSN and they told me i have to send original passport and green card . i said no thanks 

Did you refresh to the policy by its policy number?

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
2 hours ago, vidguyit said:

I am currently in the same situation, I was told by the lady that they hadn't been told by management that they were following that particular policy yet and refused to make me an appointment.

I filed a complaint at https://secure.ssa.gov/emailus/ . Please do the same.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.