R&OC

N-600k Filing //Documentation of physical presence

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

We decided to go the n-600k route for my children. And I am very grateful for the support I have received from you all. I have two questions:

1) As I am currently documenting every stay in the US, I am running into problems: For instance, I was an Au-Pair in the 1990s and have the Visa, stamps - but I don’t know the exact date I returned to Germany. Also, I have a postgraduate degree from the US and spent two years in Boston. Again, I can see the arrival dates but not the departure ones. How would I document a relative accurate number of days in the US? And would the n-600k filing get rejected if I am not too accurate on the departure dates? I am currently being very conservative and decided to opt for earlier departure dates as to avoid overstating days.

As of today I am approximately 300 days above what I would need to comply to the 5 year physical presence: Do all the days as a visitor, student, LPR count towards the 5 year presence?

Thank you for all your help!

Filed: Timeline
29 minutes ago, R&OC said:

We decided to go the n-600k route for my children. And I am very grateful for the support I have received from you all. I have two questions:

1) As I am currently documenting every stay in the US, I am running into problems: For instance, I was an Au-Pair in the 1990s and have the Visa, stamps - but I don’t know the exact date I returned to Germany. Also, I have a postgraduate degree from the US and spent two years in Boston. Again, I can see the arrival dates but not the departure ones. How would I document a relative accurate number of days in the US? And would the n-600k filing get rejected if I am not too accurate on the departure dates? I am currently being very conservative and decided to opt for earlier departure dates as to avoid overstating days.

As of today I am approximately 300 days above what I would need to comply to the 5 year physical presence: Do all the days as a visitor, student, LPR count towards the 5 year presence?

Thank you for all your help!

Yes, it is exactly what it says it is. It is a "physical presence" requirement -- every second, minute, hour, day, week, etc., counts. Of course, it is hard enough to document days of physical presence, let alone fractions of a day, but any time that you are physically present in the United States counts.

Just to clarify something -- i assume your children are not living in the US right now and do not intend to live in the US in the near future, right?  If those two assumptions are not correct, the n600k route is not the correct path.  If they are planning to live in the US immediately after documenting their US citizenship, you would need to file the I-130; they would become US citizens immediately upon being admitted to the the US on an immigrant visa if they are with their US citizen biological parent and intend to reside in the US.

Edited by jan22

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

All periods of residence or physical presence must have taken place prior to the birth of the child. Naturalized citizens may count any time they spent in the United States or its outlying possessions both before and after being naturalized.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

21 minutes ago, R&OC said:

How would I document a relative accurate number of days in the US?

Aside from passport stamps, your online I-94 travel history might have some records.  Supposedly, it would only show visitor records from the past 5 years, but check it out anyway -- https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search

Your US school transcripts are good evidence and would probably show exact dates.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

You try your best to get the actual dates but best guessed dates are fine as well. 

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

All periods of residence or physical presence must have taken place prior to the birth of the child. Naturalized citizens may count any time they spent in the United States or its outlying possessions both before and after being naturalized.

I believe that isn’t correct. The physical presence was stated by the the US consulate be accumulated by the time of filing. But I’ll double check!

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

I think I misunderstood your comment. As I am naturalized the five year presence has been met. I am just nervous as I don’t want the n-600k to get rejected.

16 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

All periods of residence or physical presence must have taken place prior to the birth of the child.

That is not the requirement for N-600K.

For N-600K, the qualifying parent must document physical presence in the US from birth until filing N-600K -- https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/n-600kinstr.pdf

Timeline
32 minutes ago, jan22 said:

Yes, it is exactly what it says it is. It is a "physical presence" requirement -- every second, minute, hour, day, week, etc., counts. Of course, it is hard enough to document days of physical presence, let alone fractions of a day, but any time that you are physically present in the United States counts.

Just to clarify something -- i assume your children are not living in the US right now and do not intend to live in the US in the near future, right?  If those two assumptions are not correct, the n600k route is not the correct path.  If they are planning to live in the US immediately after documenting their US citizenship, you would need to file the I-130; they would become US citizens immediately upon being admitted to the the US on an immigrant visa if they are with their US citizen biological parent and intend to reside in the US.

Yes, the kids are currently residing with us outside the US and given the current changes my ex-husband goes through (yes, no, maybe), we have decided to wait until the kids are 18. I am pretty sure they will follow us but we are taking the burden of „having to make a decision“ off their shoulders. I have a wonderful job here that supports our family. But we will see what the future holds. Our heart is in the US but I see how much it stresses the kids to make that decision now. We will have to carefully navigate the blended family life but the n-600k route would take a lot of pressure off our family as I am still hoping and dreaming that the kids (then young adults) will come with us when we return.

Edited by R&OC

25 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

The "prior to the birth of the child" requirement is for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad application and applies to children whose US citizen parent transmitted US citizenship to the child at birth. It does not apply for children who acquire their of US citizenship under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 (i.e., through immigrating as an IR2 visa holder or through the n600k process).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to US Citizenship General Discussion, from IR1/CCR1 P&P~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 2 months later...
On 5/4/2021 at 6:12 PM, jan22 said:

This is not correct.

The N600K is primarily for those that are living abroad with their children.

3 hours ago, OmarStuck said:

This is not correct.

The N600K is primarily for those that are living abroad with their children.

What i said is correct...and is exactly because of your second sentence, i.e., the intent to return to living abroad or to immigrate to the US.

i said if the intent was for the children to live in the US, the N600k was not the right choice.  It is the correct choice for children whose parents do not intend for them to live in the US immediately after obtaining citizenship. If the intent is immigration, it should be done via an I-130.

Edited by jan22

@R&OC what if you just apply for a US passport for your children? https://www.quora.com/Can-a-child-get-a-US-passport-without-a-CRBA?share=1

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
4 hours ago, USC4SPOUSE said:

@R&OC what if you just apply for a US passport for your children? https://www.quora.com/Can-a-child-get-a-US-passport-without-a-CRBA?share=1

To apply for a US passport, one has to be a US citizen. OP's children aren't US citizens that's why OP is planning to apply for their citizenship through N600K. Only if they are approved, they can apply for US passport.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.