kryptonite

Concerned about my 1-130 processing

23 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, CG3 said:

Anyone know the logic behind why the cases are transferred between offices? I am nervous they would decide to transfer it again just because, extending our timeline even further.

It's supposedly for balancing the workload among the service centers -- https://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-updates/workload-transfer-updates

But seeing the big differences in the processing estimates for the service centers, it doesn't seem to be effective.  From the perspective of petitioners and beneficiaries, it's really just a matter of luck.  As such, try not to worry about which center has your petition.  It's out of your control anyway.

4 minutes ago, CG3 said:

Thank you for starting this thread. I just found out today the same thing happened to us using "Ask Emma". Our case was initially in Nebraska, and has been transferred to the Texas processing center, increasing our wait time by an additional 4-5 months. We just waited that long to find out it was transferred, and now we have to wait that same amount of time again.

Anyone know the logic behind why the cases are transferred between offices? I am nervous they would decide to transfer it again just because, extending our timeline even further.

Apparently for online applications, it automatically says that it’s in Nebraska. Don’t quote me on this though, because I’m not 100% sure. In reality, your case is elsewhere. In your situation, I believe your case was always in Texas because I was told my case was never transferred from Nebraska and it was always in Potomac. How they choose which location your case goes to, I’m not sure. I’m not sure if it’s random or proximity. I did ask the agent about future transfers and if I will be notified if it happens and he said that it it’s not necessary for them to notify which makes this so much more difficult. 

I noticed however, similar to another person in this thread, the initial receipt notice I got, the address at the bottom said Potomac. It’s funny cause I noticed that a while back but I never thought twice about it because everything online was telling me my case was in Nebraska and I just assumed that perhaps these notices are sent out of the Potomac center. I was wrong. I mean knowing this earlier wouldn’t have made my case get processed any faster but at least I wouldn’t have the hope that I was about to hear back soon. 

Sorry to hear about your situation and best of luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Fyse said:

Apparently for online applications, it automatically says that it’s in Nebraska. Don’t quote me on this though, because I’m not 100% sure. In reality, your case is elsewhere. In your situation, I believe your case was always in Texas because I was told my case was never transferred from Nebraska and it was always in Potomac. How they choose which location your case goes to, I’m not sure. I’m not sure if it’s random or proximity. I did ask the agent about future transfers and if I will be notified if it happens and he said that it it’s not necessary for them to notify which makes this so much more difficult. 

I noticed however, similar to another person in this thread, the initial receipt notice I got, the address at the bottom said Potomac. It’s funny cause I noticed that a while back but I never thought twice about it because everything online was telling me my case was in Nebraska and I just assumed that perhaps these notices are sent out of the Potomac center. I was wrong. I mean knowing this earlier wouldn’t have made my case get processed any faster but at least I wouldn’t have the hope that I was about to hear back soon. 

Sorry to hear about your situation and best of luck!

I think you're right on the money about it never being transferred. I checked the original notice and the address listed is for the Texas Service Center. Never thought twice about it.

Thanks for all the help and good luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
On 5/1/2021 at 1:27 AM, roxydye said:

Hang in there! We originally got Nebraska like most of the online applicants, I've connected with a live agent last week what's up and said it's being reviewed at California but not to worry because the processing times should still be the Nebraska...makes no sense but ok

I have been told the same thing. Our i130 is at the California center as well, but that we should be following the Nebraska processing times. The reason the agent gave me was that the processing times are based off of the service center that originally has jurisdiction over what state you live in/are based in. I live in Kansas - RIGHT under Nebraska, meaning that if they hadn't sent it to California, the center that officially has jurisdiction over Kansas filers is Nebraska. I don't know if this is actually true, because it looks like you're based in Tennessee, which falls under the Texas service center, lol. I think it's *slowly* becoming less important which service center a petition goes, as there seems to be a ton of overlap/work among them all.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
1 hour ago, Paul and Sopheap said:

I have been told the same thing. Our i130 is at the California center as well, but that we should be following the Nebraska processing times. The reason the agent gave me was that the processing times are based off of the service center that originally has jurisdiction over what state you live in/are based in. I live in Kansas - RIGHT under Nebraska, meaning that if they hadn't sent it to California, the center that officially has jurisdiction over Kansas filers is Nebraska. I don't know if this is actually true, because it looks like you're based in Tennessee, which falls under the Texas service center, lol. I think it's *slowly* becoming less important which service center a petition goes, as there seems to be a ton of overlap/work among them all.

Well we both live abroad actually, TN is where we will go back to once all of this is over

1 hour ago, Paul and Sopheap said:

What "overlap/work?", in reality, it's all based on luck and a random system in place. There are bunch of people from last year still waiting for their turns for their i-130 to be approved and here I've seen bunch of articles stating their i-130 approved within 30 days, 60 days, etc...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, pravinptl97 said:

What "overlap/work?", in reality, it's all based on luck and a random system in place. There are bunch of people from last year still waiting for their turns for their i-130 to be approved and here I've seen bunch of articles stating their i-130 approved within 30 days, 60 days, etc...

Yeah, I've noticed the same. By overlap I just mean that the cases seem to be getting sent all over the place. I've noticed too that people last year are still stuck waiting as others are getting approved more quickly. It's like there IS a better way to do it but they're not applying it to last year (that's how it seems!). Pretty frustrating.

Again, not sure if this is true, but one agent online told someone here that the "main" part of their petition was at one location, and the "rest" was somewhere else. Hard to know what's going on, we can only speculate, lol.

15 minutes ago, roxydye said:

Well we both live abroad actually, TN is where we will go back to once all of this is over

Yeah, we were both abroad as well, I just recently moved back.

Edited by Paul and Sopheap
forgot to add something

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Same boat. Filed and received NOA1 on September 7,2020 and online states it is at Nebraska. Called and they told me it’s always been at Texas. Been separated with my wife and it’s very hard not knowing any estimate on when we can close the gap.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.