malenonimmigrant

Moving to a city/state with short wait times

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

I have the flexibility of working remotely and was wondering whether I could move to a city/state that has the shortest wait times for N-400 approvals? I can apply for naturalization end of July 2021.

Is this something possible to do?

Thanks.

10/1/2011 - OPT to H1b

11/5/2015 - Got married to wife (USC)

03/7/2016 - AOS package receipt

04/6/2016 - Biometrics completed

07/6/2016 - EAD card received

9/17/2016 - Notice of interview at USCIS San Francisco office received

10/20/2016 - Date of AOS interview CR1 at USCIS San Francisco office

10/26/2016 - Conditional Green Card Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
5 minutes ago, malenonimmigrant said:

I have the flexibility of working remotely and was wondering whether I could move to a city/state that has the shortest wait times for N-400 approvals? I can apply for naturalization end of July 2021.

Thanks.

It is but start moving 3-4 months before your eligibility date to file for citizenship. You will need to be resident of that state for at least 3 months before u can file the N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Trying to get around immigration timeliness unethically will do you more harm than good. Don't you think USCIS knows this game?

If the move was ethical, then you have a claim. Otherwise, sit tight. This is US. 

@retheem do you have any advice?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Timona said:

Trying to get around immigration timeliness unethically will do you more harm than good. Don't you think USCIS knows this game?

If the move was ethical, then you have a claim. Otherwise, sit tight. This is US. 

@retheem do you have any advice?

Lol advise Kenyans to stop shortcuts? lol She can move and apply July 2021. As long as she can show she resided in the town 90 days before application then she is all good.

Edited by retheem

Timeline
12 minutes ago, retheem said:

She can move and apply July 2021. As long as she can show she resided in the town 90 days before application then she is all good.

Understandable. But don't you have to stay there and wait for it? Basically,  I think the shortest is 6 months from filing to interview. That gives you atleast 9 months, if everything goes smoothly. However, with immigration, you never know. 

Another issue is family. Is OP just gonna root out his family and move to a new location just for his own benefit? Then root them back and return to former state/ town once all is done? This is just bizarre. Or is he planning to move alone, which would raise more eyebrows with USCIS. 

I would not go his route just so as to circumvent wait times. I'm at 9 months for N400 and just left with interview date (already got bio et al). That's the same timeframe if OP moves

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
4 hours ago, malenonimmigrant said:

Thanks.

hahahahahahahaha

Wow

Sure, why not.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
10 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

hahahahahahahaha

Wow

Sure, why not.  

@Timona @retheem I don't understand why you all being in the salt mine about this. Technically it is doable and it is up to them to decide if they want to move to a new city/state and live there for a while. (like changing IDs and everything) Probably that three months residency requirement is in place to prevent that and they are willing to take the chance to uproot the whole family (maybe they are only 2) and they can move anywhere they want for a while then good for them. 

The immigration system is not fair if you noticed so I don't feel like they are cheating the system. It is a legal possibility they want to take advantage of. If every processing time would be the same for each of every one of us (streamlined process) then probably ppl would not think about moving vs facing years of wait times because they live in a high demand city.

USCIS could apply a process where I the applicant could indicate that I would travel across the country to get a faster interview date and willing to pay for the accommodation, plane ticket etc to distribute the work load more evenly I would be up for that. Maybe it wouldn't be fair because not everybody could take time off when they want to so whatever the option would be ppl still would be upset about it.

Edited by ineedadisplayname

Timeline
14 hours ago, Timona said:

Understandable. But don't you have to stay there and wait for it? Basically,  I think the shortest is 6 months from filing to interview. That gives you atleast 9 months, if everything goes smoothly. However, with immigration, you never know. 

Another issue is family. Is OP just gonna root out his family and move to a new location just for his own benefit? Then root them back and return to former state/ town once all is done? This is just bizarre. Or is he planning to move alone, which would raise more eyebrows with USCIS. 

I would not go his route just so as to circumvent wait times. I'm at 9 months for N400 and just left with interview date (already got bio et al). That's the same timeframe if OP moves

First off, you don’t know anything about my life so keep your heinous assumptions to yourself. I’m a single person with no family or children. I have this flexibility and why not take advantage of it?

BTW, wait time for Columbus, OH is 3 months. Columbus it is.

10/1/2011 - OPT to H1b

11/5/2015 - Got married to wife (USC)

03/7/2016 - AOS package receipt

04/6/2016 - Biometrics completed

07/6/2016 - EAD card received

9/17/2016 - Notice of interview at USCIS San Francisco office received

10/20/2016 - Date of AOS interview CR1 at USCIS San Francisco office

10/26/2016 - Conditional Green Card Received

Timeline
30 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

@Timona @retheem I don't understand why you all being in the salt mine about this. Technically it is doable and it is up to them to decide if they want to move to a new city/state and live there for a while. (like changing IDs and everything) Probably that three months residency requirement is in place to prevent that and they are willing to take the chance to uproot the whole family (maybe they are only 2) and they can move anywhere they want for a while then good for them. 

The immigration system is not fair if you noticed so I don't feel like they are cheating the system. It is a legal possibility they want to take advantage of. If every processing time would be the same for each of every one of us (streamlined process) then probably ppl would not think about moving vs facing years of wait times because they live in a high demand city.

USCIS could apply a process where I the applicant could indicate that I would travel across the country to get a faster interview date and willing to pay for the accommodation, plane ticket etc to distribute the work load more evenly I would be up for that. Maybe it wouldn't be fair because not everybody could take time off when they want to so whatever the option would be ppl still would be upset about it.

Point out exactly where we were being salty. We asked or replied constructively. 

7 minutes ago, malenonimmigrant said:

First off, you don’t know anything about my life so keep your heinous assumptions to yourself. I’m a single person with no family or children. I have this flexibility and why not take advantage of it?

Dude, your arrogance is not needed. Nobody said you cannot shift.

I know of people who were caught doing this in Harlingen, Texas - basically moving from Houston to Harlingen just to circumvent wait times. I was bringing this to light for you, just as precautionary measure, but you seem to know what you are doing. Anyway, carry on with your plans. Just do not be arrogant about it. 

20 minutes ago, malenonimmigrant said:

I see absolutely nothing wrong with your plan, and don't understand all the negative responses about it.

That said, Columbus OH is currently showing 13 - 17.5 months wait. If it was me, I'd search through all the wait times and pick the lowest, eg: Buffalo NY is 6.5 - 13.5.

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

Edited by bing10

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

OP,  if you want to relocate; sure. It's not illegal. You just have to stay in the new location for at least 90 days. 

The only issue is that wait times can occasionally shift; a city which had short wait time could end up with a long one. So game it well. good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.