Reds89z

I-130 For Daughter, Solutions for 1/2 Sister and Ex?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi,

So this might be a unique one, hopefully someone can offer some advice.  I recently filed an I-130 for my daughter that was not born in the US.  My daughter has a half sister 2 years younger than her (different fathers, same mother).  My ex wife wants to enroll both girls in school here in the US for a year, as well as join them.  She is not willing to let my daughter come to the US alone since she is a minor, and insists on accompanying both girls.  I'm capable per the I-864 guidelines of sponsoring all 3.  Per the I-130 and I-485 instructions, I don't see any field to fill out to file a petition for the other two since they are not direct relatives of mine.  Ex wife would no longer count, correct?  Assuming that my daughter's I-130 and later I-485 are approved, is there any way to get my daughter's half sister and my ex wife in the US so both girls can attend school here together?  

I'll also note that my ex and I have been legally divorced since 2013, and that she never adjusted her status in the US after entering via marriage before she left.  Everyone has entered the US several times on valid B2 tourist visas.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

How does an I-485 apply to your situation?  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Reds89z said:

Lucky Cat,

The I-485 is filed concurrently for my daughter's I-130 as a visa is always available for immediate relatives of a US citizen.

The I-485 does not apply if that person is outside the US.....and a person cannot enter the US via a non-immigrant route such as a B2 with the intent to file an I-485 and stay.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Reds89z said:

Hi,

So this might be a unique one, hopefully someone can offer some advice.  I recently filed an I-130 for my daughter that was not born in the US.  My daughter has a half sister 2 years younger than her (different fathers, same mother).  My ex wife wants to enroll both girls in school here in the US for a year, as well as join them.  She is not willing to let my daughter come to the US alone since she is a minor, and insists on accompanying both girls.  I'm capable per the I-864 guidelines of sponsoring all 3.  Per the I-130 and I-485 instructions, I don't see any field to fill out to file a petition for the other two since they are not direct relatives of mine.  Ex wife would no longer count, correct?  Assuming that my daughter's I-130 and later I-485 are approved, is there any way to get my daughter's half sister and my ex wife in the US so both girls can attend school here together?  

I'll also note that my ex and I have been legally divorced since 2013, and that she never adjusted her status in the US after entering via marriage before she left.  Everyone has entered the US several times on valid B2 tourist visas.  

Where is your daughter?  In the US or outside the US?

There is no way for you to file for an ex-wife or her child that is not yours.

24 minutes ago, Reds89z said:

Hi,

• you cannot sponsor ex wife or step children that are not yours 
  •   What is your status ? Citizen or Green card holder .  you can only  sponsor your child at this point.
Edited by igoyougoduke

duh

Timeline
1 minute ago, aaron2020 said:

The Daughter seems to be outside the US since OP says ex-wife not willing to let Daughter come to US alone.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

My daughter is living with her mom in Russia.  That's what I was seeing per the instructions on each form.  I guess the only way they could enter the US is by a DS-160 nonimmigrant visa application?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Reds89z said:

My daughter is living with her mom in Russia.  That's what I was seeing per the instructions on each form.  I guess the only way they could enter the US is by a DS-160 nonimmigrant visa application?

Absolutely no way for your ex-wife and her daughter that is not yours to come and live in the US for a year and attend school.  

They can file I-160 for visitor visas that limits them to visit the US for up to 180 days.  They can't legally attend school.  Attending school would be a violation of their visitor visa status.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, igoyougoduke said:
  • you cannot sponsor ex wife or step children that are not yours 
  •   What is your status ? Citizen or Green card holder .  you can only  sponsor your child at this point.

I am a citizen.

Timeline

To clarify.

You made a mistake filing an I-130 for your daughter.   With a claim to US citizenship, she does not qualify to be petitioned with an I-130.  USCIS should properly deny the I-130 petition if they determine that she has a claim to US citizenship.  If they miss it and she goes for an interview at the US Embassy, they will deny her a visa because she has a claim to US citizenship.

The proper path for her is for you to file a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a US citizen and obtain a US passport for her.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.