Reds89z

I-130 For Daughter, Solutions for 1/2 Sister and Ex?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
21 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

To clarify.

You made a mistake filing an I-130 for your daughter.   With a claim to US citizenship, she does not qualify to be petitioned with an I-130.  USCIS should properly deny the I-130 petition if they determine that she has a claim to US citizenship.  If they miss it and she goes for an interview at the US Embassy, they will deny her a visa because she has a claim to US citizenship.

The proper path for her is for you to file a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a US citizen and obtain a US passport for her.  

Thanks for the information.  I looked at the CRBA but it seems like it would be used if I (the father) was living abroad at the time of birth, which I was not.  But definitely an avenue to explore to get this done.   

The reason I filed the I-130 is because I was told to by the local USCIS office.  Thinking she was a US citizen by birth, I filed an N-600 for her and they denied us at the interview.  They told me that since she is living abroad, we need to file the I-130 and can concurrently file the I-485.  Information about filing the I-485 concurrently is mentioned in the instructions on page 20.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Reds89z said:

They told me that since she is living abroad, we need to file the I-130 and can concurrently file the I-485.  Information about filing the I-485 concurrently is mentioned in the instructions on page 20.

An I-485 is not appropriate for a person outside the US.......I'm surprised they said otherwise.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

27 minutes ago, Reds89z said:

Thinking she was a US citizen by birth, I filed an N-600 for her and they denied us at the interview.

Since you do not have custody of your minor child, it was a mistake to file the N-600.  A requirement of the N-600 for children below 18 years old is that they must be residing in the US in the legal and physical custody of their US citizen parent.  Based on the information you've shared so far, I'm not surprised that the N-600 for your daughter was denied.

Follow aaron2020's advice and apply for CRBA for your daughter.  The US embassy in Moscow has monthly slots for CRBA appointments.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Since you do not have custody of your minor child, it was a mistake to file the N-600.  A requirement of the N-600 for children below 18 years old is that they must be residing in the US in the legal and physical custody of their US citizen parent.  Based on the information you've shared so far, I'm not surprised that the N-600 for your daughter was denied.

Follow aaron2020's advice and apply for CRBA for your daughter.  The US embassy in Moscow has monthly slots for CRBA appointments.

All points you listed were made very clear to me after the interview.  Yes, it was a mistake and waste of time and money.  I'm sure a lot of contributors here have gone through many trials and tribulations regarding immigration, and maybe a mistake or two that set them back temporarily.  I should have found this forum before filing it and got schooled then, but I'm here now, smarter than I was before and ready to get this done.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Just to leave no stone unturned ,  where was your daughter born ?  Here or outside the US?   Opps that was in post 1.   So the daughter could file for the mother when she is 21 , also for the half sister. 

Edited by NigeriaorBust

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

5 minutes ago, Reds89z said:

I'm sure a lot of contributors here have gone through many trials and tribulations regarding immigration, and maybe a mistake or two that set them back temporarily.  I should have found this forum before filing it and got schooled then, but I'm here now, smarter than I was before and ready to get this done.  

I can so relate to the regret of not finding this forum sooner.  And even after I joined VJ, I regret not acting fast enough on what I learned here.  I've made mistakes with our visa process that cost my family many months of separation that continues even now.  I hope that by sharing lessons learned here, I can spare other readers from the same pain even a little.

Good luck on this new chapter of your family's US story.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
1 minute ago, Chancy said:

I can so relate to the regret of not finding this forum sooner.  And even after I joined VJ, I regret not acting fast enough on what I learned here.  I've made mistakes with our visa process that cost my family many months of separation that continues even now.  I hope that by sharing lessons learned here, I can spare other readers from the same pain even a little.

So right.

So many of us have had to endure family separation.  Sharing our knowledge to prevent another family from having to experience unnecessary separation and quickly reunite them is why I post on VJ.  

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Thank you and I appreciate yours and everyone's help today.   

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How old is she?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She is a US Citizen

Getting a passport with her Mother blocking may not be possible

She can sponsor her mother when she is 21, and her Sister but her Sister would take a really long time.

Meanwhile if Mother and Sister want to move to the US they need to find their own ways.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 hours ago, Reds89z said:

My daughter is living with her mom in Russia.  That's what I was seeing per the instructions on each form.  I guess the only way they could enter the US is by a DS-160 nonimmigrant visa application?

Entering on a B visa with the intent to adjust status is ILLEGAL.  

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
2 hours ago, Reds89z said:

You will want to get moving on the CRBA and US passport.  Once she turns 18, it will be WAY HARDER if not impossible to get proof that she's a US citizen by birth.  She will be in limbo.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.