19 posts in this topic

HI,

My wife  was issued a CR1 visa and our plans have changed and I am going to stay with her in her country for the summer. Her CR1 visa will expire in July.

1. Does she need to come here first? or can the visa be extended for another 6 months?

2. Can we apply again after the CR1 expires and get an IR1 (we will be married for 2 years in Jan 2022). So if we apply on top of the same I130, could we just get an IR1? I guess the question is which date the criteria for IR1 vs CR1 - is it the date of first admission or date of visa issuance?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Visas cannot be extended.  If it expires prior to travel, the consulate can, at their discretion, reissue it.  This would require a new medical and possibly more.  A better option is for her to travel to the US before it expires, then immediately return to her country to tie up loose ends. 

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

3 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Visas cannot be extended.  If it expires prior to travel, the consulate can, at their discretion, reissue it.  This would require a new medical and possibly more.  The best option is for her to travel to the US before it expires, then immediately return to her country to tie up loose ends. 

OK, but if we reapply the DS260 in October using the same I130, is that viewed negatively?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

OK, but if we reapply the DS260 in October using the same I130, is that viewed negatively?

I see no reason why it would be viewed negatively...

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
17 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

That is not how it works.

Your visa is issued.  In order to get the visa re-issued after expiration, you will need the embassy to explicitly allow you to do so.  

If the embassy is willing to re-issue, they will let you know what they need. A new medical is a requirement, but they may allow you to use the original DS-260 and police clearance certificate(s), or ask for new ones.  

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
20 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

In 2018 We flew in, activated the visa, flew out, and returned 4 months later

Had you asked before the visa was issued you would have been advised to delay the medical and police certificate for awhile and not take it / get ready for interview until less than 6 months before you wished to leave.  We did that back in 2012.

Third option - contact the embassy, may or may not work but I would get a ruling on that ASAP.  Advise them you wish to re-take the medical in the fall and have the visa re-issued.  

Worst case:  new medical, new police certificate, (and) updated support affidavit.  That is NOT a fun review if you are not living in and working in the US and it is you, the petitioner, who will get scorched on that. 

The date the immigrant initially enters the country relative to marriage date determines whether a 2 year or 10 year green card is issued.

A visa isn’t extended.  It is cancelled, the case is re-applied and re-reviewed as a new interview, and a new visa is issued. Petitioner moving out of the US for a few months is gonna raise eyebrows. I just dump assets on the counter until they’re satisfied LOL.

Edited by Nitas_man

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

In 2018 We flew in, activated the visa, flew out, and returned 4 months later

Exactly the best option for the OP, it seems to me (based on what I read in his/her post).

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
Just now, Lucky Cat said:

Exactly the best option for the OP, it seems to me (based on what I read in his/her post).

OP wants to skip ROC.  Not a bad plan, just less than optimum timing.

2 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

OP wants to skip ROC.  Not a bad plan, just less than optimum timing.

Thank you for the responses.

I am not sure what OP or ROC is.

I am a US citizen, and I am not moving out of country. I still work for a US company (owned by a British company), and maintain residence in US. We just love to be on the south shore of Turkey for the summer months, and my wife is still kinda taking care of her mother. Yes, she could come in for a month and go back with me, but it would be good to not be in these visa shackles all the time. I went through a long visa process 10 years ago (not through marriage), and I really hate dealing with all this non sense.

I do understand that she could just come here and go back. But I want to explore all the options. So far all my application with her have gone super fast (2.5 months I-130, 2 weeks NVC, 1 month visa interview) - it has taken me more time to fill out the applications and collect evidence etc than USCIS/DOS to approve them. Since we will be in Turkey until October anyway, it;s worth waiting 2-3 months to just get this over with.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

it has taken me more time to fill out the applications and collect evidence etc than USCIS/DOS to approve them. Since we will be in Turkey until October anyway, it;s worth waiting 2-3 months to just get this over with.

Since the visa is already issued, you will have more forms to complete, and part of the process again if she doesn't travel before it expires..  Your wife can now enter the US, then immediately return to Turkey for a few months.  

Edited by Lucky Cat

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

Thank you for the responses.

I am not sure what OP or ROC is.

ROC = removal of conditions,  if your spouse comes in before your 2 year wedding anniversary, she will get a 2 year green card (CR1 visa).

ROC requires much of the same documentation you have already provided,  just updated for the first 21 months of your lives, starting when the visa is used..

3 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

Since the visa is already issued, you will have more forms to complete, and part of the process again if she doesn't travel before it expires..  Your wife can now enter the US, then immediately return to Turkey for a few months.  

This is the option that I would choose if it were me in the situation.

Sure, it would be nice to avoid Removal of Conditions, but at this point if the visa has been issued I would use it. With all of the uncertainty happening right now I would view it as "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". And keep in mind that trying to get the visa re-issued will likely mean paying the medical exam fee (which looks to be $270 in Turkey) plus the $325 visa application fee again.

But since you seem to have your mind made up, your best bet would be to contact the Immigrant Visa Unit yourself and ask them exactly what needs to happen in order to get the visa re-issued after it expires:

https://tr.usembassy.gov/visas/contact-immigrant-visa-section/

21 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Bear in mind that the Consulate may well just say no to reissuing the visa.  They tend to do this only when circumstances are out of your control, such as COVID 19 related travel restrictions.  Your personal change of plans is not a reason for them to consider reissue.  If I were you, I would consider your ONLY two options are to travel to the US (both of you, as she cannot travel before you) before the visa expires or start all over again.

Thanks, by all over again, do you mean DS260 & I-864 ?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

Thanks, by all over again, do you mean DS260 & I-864 ?

No.   I mean a new I-130.  "All over again."  

Note that your convenience, and your opinion as to what is logical, carries no importance at all when it comes to US immigration.  You can TRY for a reissue.  You could contact the IV unit NOW, and ask if they'll consider it based on YOUR reasons.  If they say NO, then you both at least make a trip to the USA or your start "all over again".  

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.