seetsuh

Updated My SSN with SSA and it was simple

147 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Eternati said:

I hope you are right, because I explicitly asked the SSA clerk if the SS-5 + original of NC + original of the petition for the name change would be sufficient to update their record, and he said NO, we will also need the original of your driver's license that has your old name on it. So I am really on the fence here. I already received my new passport (it took 2 weeks btw), but haven't gotten my NC back yet. If what you're saying is true, I might just mail them the NC once I get it back. 

I told you what I did so that you would gain from my experience. If you don't believe it, you are free to do whatever you believe and wish to do. Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
16 hours ago, MightyIndian said:

I told you what I did so that you would gain from my experience. If you don't believe it, you are free to do whatever you believe and wish to do. Good luck.

I am not sure why you decided to be defensive about it, I did not say you were lying. I appreciate you for sharing your experience! 

I called the SSA again, and the clerk confirmed that they require the DL to get my record updated. Since the clerk I talked to would be the one processing my case, I am not going to risk it. But hopefully your experience would help someone else! 

• 1 month later...

Well I took the advice on this thread and submitted the SS application with the passport card in Austin. That was over a month ago and nothing has happened. I logged in to check online SSA.gov and when I click on replacement card it comes up saying I am not a citizen. So they have not processed it. I sent it certified mail and it shows delivered mid April. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Armenia
Timeline
13 hours ago, NewlyNaturalized said:

Well I took the advice on this thread and submitted the SS application with the passport card in Austin. That was over a month ago and nothing has happened. I logged in to check online SSA.gov and when I click on replacement card it comes up saying I am not a citizen. So they have not processed it. I sent it certified mail and it shows delivered mid April. 

For what it is worth, here is my timeline (based on the tip provided by @seetsuh in this thread back in March):

April 20, 2021 - Sent Social Security Application with my Passport Card via FedEx to Social Security Office in Dallas

May 8th, 2021 - Received my Passport Card via USPS Certified Mail and Letter of Receipt (stating that I am to expect my new Social Security Card in about two weeks) from the Field Office Manager, Dallas

May18th, 2021 - Received the Social Security Card via standard USPS mail

1 hour ago, DallasDreamy said:

For what it is worth, here is my timeline (based on the tip provided by @seetsuh in this thread back in March):

April 20, 2021 - Sent Social Security Application with my Passport Card via FedEx to Social Security Office in Dallas

May 8th, 2021 - Received my Passport Card via USPS Certified Mail and Letter of Receipt (stating that I am to expect my new Social Security Card in about two weeks) from the Field Office Manager, Dallas

May18th, 2021 - Received the Social Security Card via standard USPS mail

Thanks for sharing. I called the office today and they did receive it and scanned it, but no one has processed it yet. I guess some locations are just a lot further behind. At least they didn't lose it! 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

What I did was alittle different. At my local SSA office they have a "Drop-off Box" inside there building where you can drop off your completed SS-5 form and Passport card and a letter explaining what needs to be changed (make sure they are in an envelope obviously) I don't know if every SSA place has a drop-off box but my local office did for contactless processing. I waited about 1 week and got my Passport card back with a letter confirming the change in citizenship. Then 4 days later got another letter with a new SSN card (same number just different issued date on the bottom right). 🥰   

(I-751) Removal of Conditions Delivered: 11/30/2018
Notice of Action 18 month extension letter : 2/1/2019
1st Biometrics Letter: Received letter on 5/31/2019 that they will re-use my fingerprints.  

2nd Biometrics Letter: Received new letter on 10/25/2019 to do biometrics on Nov 4. :bonk:

(I-751) Transferred to NBC: 12/03/2019

(I-751) approved: 11/06/2020 😄

(N-400) Online Delivered: 11/30/2019

NOA Received : 11/30/2019

Biometrics Scheduled: 01/09/2020

Biometrics Walk-In: 12/30/2019

Interview: 11/06/2020 @ 12:00PM :joy:

N-400 approved: 11/06/2020 🇺🇸

Oath Ceremony: 11/06/2020  🇺🇸

US Passport/Card (expedited) applied: 11/10/2020

US Passport application delivered: 11/13/2020

US Passport: "In Process" as of 11/13/2020 email from DOS

US Passport Approved: 11/20/2020 🇺🇸

US Passport Delivered: 11/24/2020 :goofy:

US Passport Card Delivered: 11/25/2020

Naturalization Certificate Delivered: 11/27/2020

Timeline
On 5/17/2021 at 7:42 PM, NewlyNaturalized said:

When I click replacement card, it says "we are updating our information try again ub a few days"

Trying to call SSA office is a lesson in futility.

Timeline
On 5/18/2021 at 3:20 PM, Venus201320 said:

What I did was alittle different. At my local SSA office they have a "Drop-off Box" inside there building where you can drop off your completed SS-5 form and Passport card and a letter explaining what needs to be changed (make sure they are in an envelope obviously) I don't know if every SSA place has a drop-off box but my local office did for contactless processing. I waited about 1 week and got my Passport card back with a letter confirming the change in citizenship. Then 4 days later got another letter with a new SSN card (same number just different issued date on the bottom right). 🥰   

This is a VERY GOOD information share. Very useful to cut-shot the POSTING process of the documents to SSA. Also since its at the local office, you are cutting short routing etc. 
I will update my notes (link in my signature below) with this detail.
The highlight is: You have used your passport-card instead of passport-book.
A side notes is: To pack the application, card, docs etc all in a water-proof bag/ziplock OR envelope to secure the loss in the drop-box. 
Thanks for sharing this.

My USC Journey noteshttps://tinyurl.com/myUSCNotes 

Citizenship: Completed SFO/CA(Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Nov 31, 2020 (Day 00): Submitted N400 Application, filed online.

Dec 07, 2020 (Day 08): NOA Receipt received in the mail.

Feb 19, 2021 (Day 82): Biometrics reuse notice received online.

Dec 22, 2021 (Day 387) Interview is  scheduled for 01/25/2022.

Jan 25, 2021 (Day 420) Interview and Oath is completed.

Passport: Completed (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Jan 26, 2022 (Day 00): Submitted Application at USPS - Regular speed.

Feb 01, 2022 (Day 06): DOS received (status: in process) Locator 69: New Hampshire: Old Gen Passport to come.

Feb 23, 2022 (Day 28) :  Approved on DOS site.

Feb 28, 2022 (Day 33) :  Received the passport - Old Gen.

Mar 01, 2022 (Day 34) :  Received the passport card.

Mar 04, 2022 (Day 37) :  Received the original Naturalization Certificate safely.

SS Updates: In Progress (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Feb 29, 2022 (Day 00) :  Received the passport card, used it for SS updates request on the same day.

Timeline
12 minutes ago, ImmiGeek said:

A side notes is: To pack the application, card, docs etc all in a water-proof bag/ziplock OR envelope to secure the loss in the drop-box. 
Thanks for sharing this.

Do not do this.

The box is inside.

As I was told by the SSA agent at my office. The envelopes get laid out on a table for 72 hours to 

allow any Covid to dissipate. If they then discover a plastic bag inside, then the documents have to be removed and

sit for another 72 hours.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

Do not do this.

The box is inside.

As I was told by the SSA agent at my office. The envelopes get laid out on a table for 72 hours to 

allow any Covid to dissipate. If they then discover a plastic bag inside, then the documents have to be removed and

sit for another 72 hours.

Thanks for that hint. Your point may theoretically make sense (and I will follow it) but SSA practice of keeping an inner packet for 72 more hours out doesnt logically make sense, still its their own wish.

My USC Journey noteshttps://tinyurl.com/myUSCNotes 

Citizenship: Completed SFO/CA(Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Nov 31, 2020 (Day 00): Submitted N400 Application, filed online.

Dec 07, 2020 (Day 08): NOA Receipt received in the mail.

Feb 19, 2021 (Day 82): Biometrics reuse notice received online.

Dec 22, 2021 (Day 387) Interview is  scheduled for 01/25/2022.

Jan 25, 2021 (Day 420) Interview and Oath is completed.

Passport: Completed (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Jan 26, 2022 (Day 00): Submitted Application at USPS - Regular speed.

Feb 01, 2022 (Day 06): DOS received (status: in process) Locator 69: New Hampshire: Old Gen Passport to come.

Feb 23, 2022 (Day 28) :  Approved on DOS site.

Feb 28, 2022 (Day 33) :  Received the passport - Old Gen.

Mar 01, 2022 (Day 34) :  Received the passport card.

Mar 04, 2022 (Day 37) :  Received the original Naturalization Certificate safely.

SS Updates: In Progress (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Feb 29, 2022 (Day 00) :  Received the passport card, used it for SS updates request on the same day.

Timeline
On 5/23/2021 at 11:16 AM, Marimar04 said:

I sent my application on April 8th. It was received on April 9th and I'm still waiting. I called two times but they said nothing was scanned yet. 

It will sit for 72 hours to make sure any Covid has died off from the forms (Im not kidding) then on a stack of others like you.

You will get your documents back within 10 days, and your new card in 2 weeks.

Yes, I received a new card, dont know why, .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

I called for the 3rd time to the SSA and she said that my documents were  scanned today, just 7 weeks after mailing them. By the end of next week I should get my passport back, and the following week the new card.🙏

12/14/19 applied online N400

01/09/20 Biometrics appointment

Got an update back from the Austin office. They are not accepting the passport card as proof of citizenship and request us to mail in the original NC. The letter stated we could call and make an appointment if we felt uncomfortable mailing it. Called and they said they are not offering any appointments whatsoever and that the letter is wrong. Any tips on how we can dispute this considering many others have been successful with PC only?

Timeline
7 hours ago, NewlyNaturalized said:

Got an update back from the Austin office. They are not accepting the passport card as proof of citizenship and request us to mail in the original NC. The letter stated we could call and make an appointment if we felt uncomfortable mailing it. Called and they said they are not offering any appointments whatsoever and that the letter is wrong. Any tips on how we can dispute this considering many others have been successful with PC only?

Ive only read of 1 instance of PC accepted.

Call back both offices in Austin, see which one has a "drop box". Leave a letter with your application and NC, ask for trackable return.

Mine outside LA sent it back UPS in a hard envelope.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.