Shiro0827

Parents out of US more than 12months

16 posts in this topic

I wanted to ask if anyone’s family members with green card holder who had been out of the country for over a year. They didn’t file for the the re-entry permit though before they left. Last Stu here was October 2019. Any other suggestions what we need to do for them? Definitely don’t want to get tickets only for them to be denied entry. 

thanks all!

Edited by Shiro0827

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So they want to come back? Sort of assuming that is the case, they can either return using their GC's and see if they are referred to an immigration judge or apply for a SB1, knowing nothing about their case and why they have been gone so long difficult to say which is best.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

So they want to come back? Sort of assuming that is the case, they can either return using their GC's and see if they are referred to an immigration judge or apply for a SB1, knowing nothing about their case and why they have been gone so long difficult to say which is best.

Yes they do. Tbh my parents didn’t want to travel during the whole COVID pandemic thing so they refused to come back initially. Now that there is a vaccine they are planning on coming back. They’ve only been GC holders since 2018 I think.

They stayed here for 6months upon their 1st visit and my mom couldn’t bear the thought of being so far  and missed the Philippines too much. They went home then visited for only 3 weeks last 2019.  I know a tourist visa would’ve been more sufficient with how they’re travel is but they did initially want a GC (all the children were trying to start living here) Now they want to come back and we are quite hesitant getting tickets if they’ll be denied entry. 
My other sibling was adamant that as long as it’s not more than 2 years it’s fine. She says people she knew had done somewhat the same. But I don’t really know if those friends/acquaintances have similar situations -being gone over a year. 
my parents have not really filed taxes per se since they have no income here and are retired back home too. We claimed them as dependents when they stayed with us for 6 months so that’s it as far as taxes goes.

Timeline

Permanent Residents are taxed on their world wide income.

They can not be denied entry, they may be asked to hand in their Green Cards, file a I 407, but they can refuse. Theoretically they can be put into detention pending an appearance before the Immigration Judge but not sure I have heard of that happening.

Sounds like they are not sure where they want to live.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Get them plane tickets and hope the airline lets them board.  The problem arises when airlines refuses to let LPR who have been out of the US for more than 1 year fly.  Once at the US border, CBP will let them in.  Whether CBP will refer them to immigration court for abandoning their LPR is another issue; IMHO a small issue.

Getting an SB-1 is HARD.  You have to show a reason out of your control to get an SB-1.  Fear of coming back because of COVID is not acceptable.  This is the risker route.

Green cards are for living in the US.  You mentioned "1st visit" and visiting for 3 weeks in 2019.  Green cards are not for visiting the US.  Visiting puts them at risk for losing their green cards.  

If your parents just wants to visit the US, then file the I-407 to return their green cards and have them file for visitor visas.  

Edited by aaron2020

2 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

Get them plane tickets and hope the airline lets them board.  The problem arises when airlines refuses to let LPR who have been out of the US for more than 1 year fly.  Once at the US border, CBP will let them in.  Whether CBP will refer them to immigration court for abandoning their LPR is another issue; IMHO a small issue.

Getting an SB-1 is HARD.  You have to show a reason out of your control to get an SB-1.  Fear of coming back because of COVID is not acceptable.  This is the risker route.

Green cards are for living in the US.  You mentioned "1st visit" and visiting for 3 weeks in 2019.  Green cards are not for visiting the US.  Visiting puts them at risk for losing their green cards.  

If your parents just wants to visit the US, then file the I-407 to return their green cards and have them file for visitor visas.  

Yup unfortunately. It wasn’t a plan to be living out of the country but things change, life change hence all the trips out. Thank you for the reply though! I didn’t even think it’d be a possibility to be accepted at the CBP. If it were me honestly they’d be living here or would’ve just gotten a tourist visa if I’d known my one parent was gonna treat it as such. 

Timeline

I realise  there are many who use a GC as a way to visit, and most seem to have no issue.

Does make me wonder if there is a real issue, I can see from a CBP point of view it is not. After all what is the worst that can happen, an IJ removes their status and they immediately refile to adjust.

All seems to be pointless from an immigration perspective.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
15 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

The airline will not refuse them as they only look at the expiration date on the travel documents. Also, Covid-19 is acceptable. 

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
12 hours ago, Shiro0827 said:

Yup unfortunately. It wasn’t a plan to be living out of the country but things change, life change hence all the trips out. Thank you for the reply though! I didn’t even think it’d be a possibility to be accepted at the CBP. If it were me honestly they’d be living here or would’ve just gotten a tourist visa if I’d known my one parent was gonna treat it as such. 

My father did the same... book the tickets, they say nothing unless asked.  

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

1 hour ago, RICARDO4EVA2 said:

The airline will not refuse them as they only look at the expiration date on the travel documents. 

Not true, I was personally twice asked how long I’d been outside the US when I still had my green card, it seemed a newer thing some airlines had started to do.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Best course of action if they want to come back is to buy the tickets and fly back. No way of knowing what will happen for sure but most likely they will just be let in. It seems riskier than it is because there is always that chance but it isn't all that risky from everything I have seem posted here over the past few years.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Get the tickets and get back to the country. Chances of being denied entry are close to zero. They could be paroled to see an IJ to defend their green card but cross that bridge if it gets there (highly unlikely at this time). As to whether airlines will ask how long they have been out, some do and some don't. For a fact, Emirates and Qatar don't ask those questions. And as always, DO NOT and i repeat, DO NOT sign anything at the port of entry.

Edited by retheem

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Shiro0827 said:

Thanks all! They arrived here a few weeks ago and it was fine. Smooth and no issues! 😊

Good to hear.

Which airline did they fly on?  Any problems with boarding?  Did they ask if your parents had been outside the US for more than a year?

Edited by aaron2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.