spookyturtle

Biden Administration and more gun control, where will it go?

127 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
37 minutes ago, spookyturtle said:

This is what Biden and Harris have talked about repealing. 

Probably not this year,  Covid, clean energy and cleaning up some of Trumps fiascos will be the priority.

But let's say it does come up, what is the case for sheltering the firearms mfg when no other industry receives that protection?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
56 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Is a 2015 article news though? I think we should close the thread, 2015 was 6 years ago.

It works this way: imagine an issue that might happen in the future, we debate that. Something that really happened that was perceived to be a threat to our nation, we move on the next day.

Just now, CanAm1980 said:

It works this way: imagine an issue that might happen in the future, we debate that. Something that really happened that was perceived to be a threat to our nation, we move on the next day.

Ah, thanks. 👍

1 hour ago, Steeleballz said:

Are you making an argument for reform or against? People being more messed up now doesn't exactly make me feel good about more of them having guns.

It was meant as people are a lot more sue happy today. No personal responsibility, everything is someone else’s fault. Jimmy shot Johnny but it was the guns fault, or better yet, the gun manufacturers fault.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

At least this is vaguely honest, no mention of reform.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/14/biden-calls-on-congress-to-reform-gun-laws-on-anniversary-of-parkland-shooting.html

Biden calls for Congress to pass stricter gun laws on anniversary of Parkland mass shooting

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

44 minutes ago, Boiler said:

At least this is vaguely honest, no mention of reform.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/14/biden-calls-on-congress-to-reform-gun-laws-on-anniversary-of-parkland-shooting.html

Biden calls for Congress to pass stricter gun laws on anniversary of Parkland mass shooting

That should help with the 40-50 shootings in Chicago every weekend. Right? Funny there is never any talk of stopping gun violence with gangs and inner city dirt bags. The people who get punished by the gun laws are the people who obey them. Does anyone really think this nonsense is going to make criminals suddenly comply with the law? We have lots of gun laws now, making more that thugs aren’t going to follow isn’t going to help.

Edited by spookyturtle

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not sure how they would enforce it when they are defunding the Police.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Suicide accounts for the greatest number of gun deaths in the US. I haven’t heard of anyone mag dumping 30 rounds into their own head.  Rifles of any type account for about 4% of all gun deaths. Handguns about 64%. AR style rifles about 300 per year, +/-. 

Chicago had 769 gun homicides for 2020. But who cares about that, right? 

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

12 hours ago, spookyturtle said:

The problem with ammo now is availability and replacement cost. I like to shoot and shoot regularly. When 9mm was $180 case, it wasn’t too bad to shoot 200 rounds per week. At $700+ per case it’s very expensive. And I always replace what it shoot so I don’t go thru  my stash. 

That is another issue as well. I used to buy more ammo every time we went to Walmart (once a week). Now I have to go to some specialty store to buy ammo at higher prices. Where I used to buy at least $50 a week worth of ammo has been drastically cut. 

11 hours ago, spookyturtle said:

I’ve also read where they are talking about holding the gun manufacturers responsible for death or damage caused by their products. So if someone gets murdered with a Smith&Wesson,  they are liable. I wonder when they are going to make alcohol manufacturers responsible for drunk driving accidents? Or auto manufacturers? Guy was driving a Toyota Camry drunk, so let’s hold Toyota responsible for the 2 people he killed. We are living in a society where there is no personal responsibility. And that’s just bizarre.

They started doing that against Remington and forced them into bankruptcy. Which I am sure it makes the families of Sandy Hook feel good but seriously hurts the families that relied on that paycheck every week. For example the county where my sister lives had a brand new Remington plant put in not even a decade now and now it has closed because of the bankruptcy. This is a county that was hit very hard by the textile plant closures in the last several decades so when the plant came in it was seen as great thing to happen. Now it has closed and people are out of work during the middle of a pandemic. 

2 hours ago, spookyturtle said:

And I wish they would stop calling them large capacity magazines. Those are standard capacity magazines they keep ranting about. I’m in Massachusetts, we have restricted capacity magazines. 

I really hate that as well. A large capacity magazine is like a 100 round drum not a 30 round magazine. Surprisingly this issue was brought up in the local fb politics page that I bring up sometimes and it was the only issue that many Republicans and Democrats came together. But there was a couple people talking about the "high capacity magazines" and how no one needs a AR-15 that can "fire through a helmet at 500 yards". 

8 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

That is another issue as well. I used to buy more ammo every time we went to Walmart (once a week). Now I have to go to some specialty store to buy ammo at higher prices. Where I used to buy at least $50 a week worth of ammo has been drastically cut. 

When Walmart bailed out of the handgun and scary rifle ammo I bought 100 round boxes of  Federal 9mm for $9. I think the 200 round boxes of .223 were $30. They also had 150 round boxes of 5.56 for $30. Needless to say, I could barely push the shopping cart out of the store.:devil:

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015