Mezyan

No SSN after 4 weeks. DHS verification still not complete.

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

K1 visa

Went to apply for SSN 10 days after arrival. He received a letter at the appointment saying they needed to verify him through DHS and that it happens occasionally. They told us it should be completed within a week or 2. We are 4 weeks out at this point. I've called every week since we applied and gotten the same answer that they are still processing it. The last couple of weeks they told me it normally takes a month, which is quite different than 1 to 2 weeks we were initially told. 

Is anyone else experiencing this kind of stuff? I read previous forums from 2014 about this and that it doesn't take this long anymore. So I'm just confused. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Mezyan said:

K1 visa

Went to apply for SSN 10 days after arrival. He received a letter at the appointment saying they needed to verify him through DHS and that it happens occasionally. They told us it should be completed within a week or 2. We are 4 weeks out at this point. I've called every week since we applied and gotten the same answer that they are still processing it. The last couple of weeks they told me it normally takes a month, which is quite different than 1 to 2 weeks we were initially told. 

Is anyone else experiencing this kind of stuff? I read previous forums from 2014 about this and that it doesn't take this long anymore. So I'm just confused. 

It could be slowed down a bit due to Covid.  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Same exact situation. We applied on Dec. 23. Received a confirmation letter stating that we applied on January 2 (which wasn’t true, but was maybe when SSA sent the documents to DHS?). Letter said up to 4 weeks and now it’s been almost 8. 

Called last week and they said still processing. But I know others who applied way after us and had their card within 2 weeks. Very frustrating as we’d like to prepare taxes. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, arae said:

Same exact situation. We applied on Dec. 23. Received a confirmation letter stating that we applied on January 2 (which wasn’t true, but was maybe when SSA sent the documents to DHS?). Letter said up to 4 weeks and now it’s been almost 8. 

Called last week and they said still processing. But I know others who applied way after us and had their card within 2 weeks. Very frustrating as we’d like to prepare taxes. 

Oh man. Sorry to hear this. I hope you get the card soon! 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Mezyan said:

Oh man. Sorry to hear this. I hope you get the card soon! 

I just learned about SAVE from this forum. Our status there says Case Returned to Maryland SSA.  Not entirely sure what this means. Going to try to call them this week. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, arae said:

I just learned about SAVE from this forum. Our status there says Case Returned to Maryland SSA.  Not entirely sure what this means. Going to try to call them this week. 

You haven't found a way to look up updates to the SAVE database have you? It's frustrating for both parties to call the SSA because they don't really know what is going on just that it isn't complete yet. :S 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 2/12/2021 at 1:37 PM, Mezyan said:

My husband (K-1 fiance until yesterday) had his SSA appointment 20 days after entering the country and he was told it would take 2-4 weeks to verify his immigration status.  They made us wait 14 days from entering the country to even schedule the appointment and then it was booked for almost a week later.  Their online systems are clearly half baked at best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 2/14/2021 at 9:19 AM, Mezyan said:

You haven't found a way to look up updates to the SAVE database have you? It's frustrating for both parties to call the SSA because they don't really know what is going on just that it isn't complete yet. :S 

Based on this and the previous comment, I found that you can look up the case status:

https://save.uscis.gov/casecheck

Ours says "SAVE has returned your case to Maryland - Social Security Administration, SSA (Single Signon) (WS37)."

So hopefully that means we'll get the card soon.

Filed: Timeline

Just FYI- there are various posts about this topic on VJ as well as other forums. So there is a known issue regarding DHS verifications but unfortunately no official acknowledgement or ETA of a fix yet. People experiencing this issue are unable to get help from any of the agencies involved and those that can use the SAVE check are seeing updates on it as described above (case returned) which should mean the verification was complete - however SSA is saying its not reflecting such on their end... :( 

You are a K applicant. This means you must get the SSN issued before the i94 expires. SSA requires you have at least 2 weeks left on the i94 for them to process it. You may run out of time before the issue is resolved- in which case you will have to wait for the EAD to get a SSN. When you fill out the 765 make sure you check the appropriate box saying you want a SSN issued so you can avoid having to deal with SSA again. That checkbox in itself is rather new but has been working w/o much issue for those that utilized it (when the system was working properly at least). 

Be prepared to need to wait for the EAD. Try to send in your AOS package asap. For health insurance a SSN is not required although your insurance company may attempt to tell you otherwise. If you have issues with insurance search the forums as there are several posts discussing how to get the insurance company to add your spouse w/o a SSN. For a DL unfortunately most states require such so theres no way around that except to wait. If he has a foreign DL you can look into your states requirements for how long he may be able to use it (if he can use it at all). Banks also have varying requirements for what is needed to open or add someone to an account. Some banks are more immigrant friendly then others you can use google to help sort which banks near you may open an account for you guys. Almost all banks though require immigrants to present their IDs in person and can not open accounts online hence why you would need a bank with a local location. If you are going to attempt to open a bank account at a new bank or add him to your current bank you will want to attempt to do such while the i94 is active. As you probably know once the i94 is expired the alien is placed into a period of auth stay while the AOS is processing. That is not technically a valid status. Once the EAD is issued however the alien does have a valid status (EAD holder) for SSA, DMV, etc. 

I really hope your case gets sorted and the SSN is issued before the i94 expires. If not dont let it discourage you. Remember to show a bonafide marriage you need to show comingling of finances- that does not mean "joint" or "equal". It means whatever you have you both use- use meaning contribute and take from. USCIS also understands when someone comes on the K that often they are unable to open accounts and can not work until the EAD is issued so they dont hold that against you or view the lack of immediately opening joint accounts as a negative. You also may be a couple that never has a joint account. Thats fine too. It can also be helpful to gather evidences needed for AOS and later ROC as you go rather then trying to go back and dig up old documents.  We all think we have good memories until it comes time to remember stuff! So perhaps for now consider printing out your monthly statements and highlighting or notating on it purchases that were made from your sole account that reflect the funds are used for joint purchases or purchases related to his expenses. 

My husband just received his card today which is 3 weeks after his entry into the U.S. however, they sent it to my old address even though we filled out the AR-11 form a month prior to him entering the U.S. There was no welcome letter before the card arrived. My mother still living at the old address so that is why she saw it. Now we wait for  the SSN. Does it make a difference that he is CR1 or no?

We applied for an SSN on December 15th and have not yet heard anything. Since the I-94 expired on January 26th, I guess we're out of luck. Since there's no way the EAD etc. is going to process in time for taxes, what are we supposed to do?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
42 minutes ago, x3n said:

We applied for an SSN on December 15th and have not yet heard anything. Since the I-94 expired on January 26th, I guess we're out of luck. Since there's no way the EAD etc. is going to process in time for taxes, what are we supposed to do?

Either apply for an ITIN or extension to file taxes.

• 5 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/21/2021 at 12:41 PM, Villanelle said:

Just FYI- there are various posts about this topic on VJ as well as other forums. So there is a known issue regarding DHS verifications but unfortunately no official acknowledgement or ETA of a fix yet. People experiencing this issue are unable to get help from any of the agencies involved and those that can use the SAVE check are seeing updates on it as described above (case returned) which should mean the verification was complete - however SSA is saying its not reflecting such on their end... :( 

You are a K applicant. This means you must get the SSN issued before the i94 expires. SSA requires you have at least 2 weeks left on the i94 for them to process it. You may run out of time before the issue is resolved- in which case you will have to wait for the EAD to get a SSN. When you fill out the 765 make sure you check the appropriate box saying you want a SSN issued so you can avoid having to deal with SSA again. That checkbox in itself is rather new but has been working w/o much issue for those that utilized it (when the system was working properly at least). 

Be prepared to need to wait for the EAD. Try to send in your AOS package asap. For health insurance a SSN is not required although your insurance company may attempt to tell you otherwise. If you have issues with insurance search the forums as there are several posts discussing how to get the insurance company to add your spouse w/o a SSN. For a DL unfortunately most states require such so theres no way around that except to wait. If he has a foreign DL you can look into your states requirements for how long he may be able to use it (if he can use it at all). Banks also have varying requirements for what is needed to open or add someone to an account. Some banks are more immigrant friendly then others you can use google to help sort which banks near you may open an account for you guys. Almost all banks though require immigrants to present their IDs in person and can not open accounts online hence why you would need a bank with a local location. If you are going to attempt to open a bank account at a new bank or add him to your current bank you will want to attempt to do such while the i94 is active. As you probably know once the i94 is expired the alien is placed into a period of auth stay while the AOS is processing. That is not technically a valid status. Once the EAD is issued however the alien does have a valid status (EAD holder) for SSA, DMV, etc. 

I really hope your case gets sorted and the SSN is issued before the i94 expires. If not dont let it discourage you. Remember to show a bonafide marriage you need to show comingling of finances- that does not mean "joint" or "equal". It means whatever you have you both use- use meaning contribute and take from. USCIS also understands when someone comes on the K that often they are unable to open accounts and can not work until the EAD is issued so they dont hold that against you or view the lack of immediately opening joint accounts as a negative. You also may be a couple that never has a joint account. Thats fine too. It can also be helpful to gather evidences needed for AOS and later ROC as you go rather then trying to go back and dig up old documents.  We all think we have good memories until it comes time to remember stuff! So perhaps for now consider printing out your monthly statements and highlighting or notating on it purchases that were made from your sole account that reflect the funds are used for joint purchases or purchases related to his expenses. 

What if we answered “no” to the question on I-765 if we wanted the SSA to issue a SSN? My husband arrived on a K1 and had his SSN appointment after we got married but before we filed AOS, so we thought we’d have his SSN by now but it’s been more than 6 weeks and nothing yet. Now we’re afraid he’ll get his EAD but no SSN because we answered “no”

23 hours ago, pooj97 said:

we’re afraid he’ll get his EAD but no SSN because we answered “no”

If that happens, he just needs to book another appointment at an SSA office to apply in person again.  He should bring his EAD.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.