Mezyan

No SSN after 4 weeks. DHS verification still not complete.

19 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Chancy said:

If that happens, he just needs to book another appointment at an SSA office to apply in person again.  He should bring his EAD.

Thanks for the input. If it ends up that way and he has to apply in person again with his EAD this time, do you know if will it be easier/faster since the SSA office doesn’t have to go to DHS for review and approval? That’s what we keep getting told by our local SSA office - that they’re still waiting for DHS to review 

Filed: Timeline
On 8/16/2021 at 9:34 AM, Cath&H said:

Thanks for the input. If it ends up that way and he has to apply in person again with his EAD this time, do you know if will it be easier/faster since the SSA office doesn’t have to go to DHS for review and approval? That’s what we keep getting told by our local SSA office - that they’re still waiting for DHS to review 

^This is confusing because you are saying some inaccurate things here...

Backing up a bit- if you check the box on the 765 requesting SSA issue you a SSN what is suppose to happen is immigration forwards the info to SSA and SSA issues you the number and you receive the SS card in the mail typically within a few weeks after the EAD card arrives. The system is not perfect and many people fail to get a SSN issued even though they checked off the box. If this is the case its unfortunate but theres nothing you can do except go and apply for the SSN in person yourself. Theres no (reasonable or effective) way to file a complaint about not getting a SSN if you checked yes but didnt get one, nor is it reasonable to attempt to amend the 765 to reflect a checkmark in the yes I want a SSN box. 

Now from what you posted you guys checked off 'No' for the question of having SSA issue you the number right? That 'no' simply means USCIS will not forward your info automatically to SSA and you have to apply directly with SSA yourself.

I think the bits you are getting confused about is currently your husband is a K. He is eligible for a SSN as a K BUT it must be issued with in the 90 days his K is valid. SSA also requires a min of 2 weeks left on the K in order to have enough time to process it. So when you are in that timeframe and go down and apply for the SSN, SSA will need to verify you with DHS.  You fill out the application with SSA and show all your documents and they use the SAVE/everify system to verify you (what you referred to as DHS review). Sometimes that system is glitchy. For a while a few months back it was having all kinds of problems but as far as I know it has all been fixed so there really shouldnt be a hold up in SSA getting an answer from SAVE. Have you checked your status in SAVE? Theres links on VJ for it and its also easily found on google. Your SAVE info should show where SSA requested verification and a message of ultimately case returned to agency (the agency being SSA). Sometimes it takes a supervisors involvement to move things along if they get stuck or if the worker didnt enter things correctly causing it to not return a verification. Remember you must get this sorted before you have 2 weeks left on the 90 days or else SSA wont be able to move forward and you will have to wait until the EAD is issued. Make sure you used the exact name on the SSA application that is on the visa/i94. Pay attention to what it shows is in each name field, it must match exactly. 

If the SSN is not issued before the K window closes you will have to wait until you get the EAD in hand. This is because you need a valid status to get a SSN and thats either a K with enough time left on it or be an EAD holder. They will still need to verify you with DHS when you have an EAD. Not sure why they are giving you the impression that they dont? Perhaps the system is a bit easier for them to navigate when using an EAD rather then a K- I dont know. 

So if you are still in the K window (more than 2 weeks left on the 90 days) check the SAVE system and follow up with a supervisor at SSA. I also believe on the SAVE website there is a phone number or email you can contact for help getting verification if your case appears stuck there. If the window is closed or you can not get the SSN issued before it closes again you will have to wait until you get the EAD in hand.  

21 hours ago, Villanelle said:

^This is confusing because you are saying some inaccurate things here...

Backing up a bit- if you check the box on the 765 requesting SSA issue you a SSN what is suppose to happen is immigration forwards the info to SSA and SSA issues you the number and you receive the SS card in the mail typically within a few weeks after the EAD card arrives. The system is not perfect and many people fail to get a SSN issued even though they checked off the box. If this is the case its unfortunate but theres nothing you can do except go and apply for the SSN in person yourself. Theres no (reasonable or effective) way to file a complaint about not getting a SSN if you checked yes but didnt get one, nor is it reasonable to attempt to amend the 765 to reflect a checkmark in the yes I want a SSN box. 

Now from what you posted you guys checked off 'No' for the question of having SSA issue you the number right? That 'no' simply means USCIS will not forward your info automatically to SSA and you have to apply directly with SSA yourself.

I think the bits you are getting confused about is currently your husband is a K. He is eligible for a SSN as a K BUT it must be issued with in the 90 days his K is valid. SSA also requires a min of 2 weeks left on the K in order to have enough time to process it. So when you are in that timeframe and go down and apply for the SSN, SSA will need to verify you with DHS.  You fill out the application with SSA and show all your documents and they use the SAVE/everify system to verify you (what you referred to as DHS review). Sometimes that system is glitchy. For a while a few months back it was having all kinds of problems but as far as I know it has all been fixed so there really shouldnt be a hold up in SSA getting an answer from SAVE. Have you checked your status in SAVE? Theres links on VJ for it and its also easily found on google. Your SAVE info should show where SSA requested verification and a message of ultimately case returned to agency (the agency being SSA). Sometimes it takes a supervisors involvement to move things along if they get stuck or if the worker didnt enter things correctly causing it to not return a verification. Remember you must get this sorted before you have 2 weeks left on the 90 days or else SSA wont be able to move forward and you will have to wait until the EAD is issued. Make sure you used the exact name on the SSA application that is on the visa/i94. Pay attention to what it shows is in each name field, it must match exactly. 

If the SSN is not issued before the K window closes you will have to wait until you get the EAD in hand. This is because you need a valid status to get a SSN and thats either a K with enough time left on it or be an EAD holder. They will still need to verify you with DHS when you have an EAD. Not sure why they are giving you the impression that they dont? Perhaps the system is a bit easier for them to navigate when using an EAD rather then a K- I dont know. 

So if you are still in the K window (more than 2 weeks left on the 90 days) check the SAVE system and follow up with a supervisor at SSA. I also believe on the SAVE website there is a phone number or email you can contact for help getting verification if your case appears stuck there. If the window is closed or you can not get the SSN issued before it closes again you will have to wait until you get the EAD in hand.  

This makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much for clearing up some things for me. This whole SSA debacle has really stressed me out. Hopefully the application process does not take as long after getting EAD!

• 3 weeks later...

My husband checked off yes on his application so we thought he was going to receive his SS card first. He ended up receiving his green card in the mail about two weeks after entering the U.S. but no SS card. After about a month we contacted SSA and they said they had no record of a SSN on file for him. We waited another month and called the SSA again and we got the same reply so we  made an appointment with our local SSA office and he received his SS card about one week after that. I don't know why it wasn't processed even though we made sure to select yes on the USCIS application. I'm guessing since embassies and government offices were just starting to open up, they had a backlog and didn't send over the information. I read on this site before my husband entered the U.S. that sometimes they process your request and sometimes they don't, so I had to be ready to be proactive which worked our my case. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.