Charming12

US passport after Naturalization

33 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Charming12 said:

When did you apply for US passport?

I have applied through On Feb 9,2021 and still nothing showed up on the DOS website. Probably due to unprecedented weather condition across the nation, it might take another week or so to show on the system!

I applied at a Passport acceptance agent on January 11, 2021.  It took nine days for it to show up on the passport tracker.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 10:28 AM, JeanneAdil said:

If that concerns you the most ,  mail the application and documents thru UPS or Fed ex and include in your mailing , ( 2 self addressed / 3 if applying for the passport card  ) in your envelope to the address listed in the application instructions 

but understand i have seen UPS and fed ex trucks stuck in snow banks or involved in accidents too

I didn't track it with case # / others will answer this but you will get a receipt for tracking your mailing from USPS , UPS or Fed ex to see delivery 

I believe you have to be living in the county for 3 months before filing US passport so i would wait (my opinion only) and get the new state ID before mailing the application.   I say this as the post office is not to forward the return mail from old to new address for these important documents /they will be write that  on the mailing envelope 

Hello  Jeanne. You said in your quoted post that "you have to live in that county for 3 months before filing US passport". Please can you give me the source of that information. I recently moved, and I wana apppy for passport with my address. I can not see anywhere where they mention the 3 months rule. 

Can you give me further information about this. Thank you very much.

On 3/3/2021 at 5:54 PM, semilore said:

Hello  Jeanne. You said in your quoted post that "you have to live in that county for 3 months before filing US passport". Please can you give me the source of that information. I recently moved, and I wana apppy for passport with my address. I can not see anywhere where they mention the 3 months rule. 

Can you give me further information about this. Thank you very much.

No such rule

I applied 2/6/21 at my local post office(Chesapeake, Virginia). Sadly, I still see a “Application Status: Not Found” in the passport tracking system.

I called my post office to check if there’s any kind of tracking number from their end just to know if my application was received at DoS and I was told that the passport officer was with clients and had to call me back..

Hoping that they will call me back today. It worries me that it’s been a month and still no update online >_<

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Hi Everbody!

Currently I'm waiting for my interview for my citizenship. My question is how soon can I apply for a US passport? Can I apply when as soon as my citizenship is approved or do I need to wait for the Oath Ceremony? My green card expires in September and I'm planning on traveling over seas this summer? Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
19 minutes ago, keyuree1 said:

Hi Everbody!

Currently I'm waiting for my interview for my citizenship. My question is how soon can I apply for a US passport? Can I apply when as soon as my citizenship is approved or do I need to wait for the Oath Ceremony? My green card expires in September and I'm planning on traveling over seas this summer? Thank you!

No you need to have Naturalization certificate to apply for passport. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
10 minutes ago, keyuree1 said:

Do I get that after the Oath? Sorry, not familiar with the process. Thanks!

Yes, you will be given the Certificate of Naturalization after the Oath. You are not a USC until you take the Oath.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
8 hours ago, keyuree1 said:

Hi Everbody!

You can't apply for a US passport until you're a US citizen. The N-400 interview doesn't give you a US citizenship, the oath ceremony does. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi Guys! So my green card expires in September and I haven't heard anything about my interview being scheduled. I know I still have time but what happens if my green card expires before I become a citizen? I applied last May but obviously everything got delayed because of COVID. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
On 5/4/2021 at 1:44 PM, keyuree1 said:

Hi Guys! So my green card expires in September and I haven't heard anything about my interview being scheduled. I know I still have time but what happens if my green card expires before I become a citizen? I applied last May but obviously everything got delayed because of COVID. 

Many people have their green cards expired, not to say the vast majority. You are fine, just carry the latest supporting document you got from USCIS, I always carried my Extension letter even if the same letter itself had expired. Hopefully you heard about your naturalization interview by now. If not, don't worry, It will come! :) 

Timeline
1 hour ago, marthasofi said:

Many people have their green cards expired, not to say the vast majority. You are fine, just carry the latest supporting document you got from USCIS, I always carried my Extension letter even if the same letter itself had expired. Hopefully you heard about your naturalization interview by now. If not, don't worry, It will come! :) 

Thank you! :) 

• 2 months later...

Joining this thread.... For anyone here who has received their passports, what was your time frame when you got your supporting documents back? I have waited  almost a month now and I have not received my documents yet. I am so frustrated that after I called this person did not even care. I wish they had a traceable  system for this especially when returning your documents. These are legal documents that we don't want to be out in the open. I understand the backlog as my husband still has not received his passport. and it was just a renewal. I even missed my father's funeral because he did not have a passport. I on the other hand, received mine but it was already too late, since covid protocols in the Philippines required a 10 day quarantine and my passport arrived after the funeral. It was pretty useless at that time.

8.20.08-married :D:D:D

10.08 - forms I-485 and I-130 submitted through lawyer

11.08- biometrics

12.2008- appointment for interview received

01.04.09- EAD card received

01.28.09- interview for AOS

02.05.09- AOS approval letter and welcome note! yey!

02.12.09- GC recieved! :D (wrong middle name spelling)

02.15.09- moving out of in-laws' house.

confused if i have to change address first or have GC corrections

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
10 minutes ago, flipilychee820 said:

Joining this thread.... For anyone here who has received their passports, what was your time frame when you got your supporting documents back? I have waited  almost a month now and I have not received my documents yet. I am so frustrated that after I called this person did not even care. I wish they had a traceable  system for this especially when returning your documents. These are legal documents that we don't want to be out in the open. I understand the backlog as my husband still has not received his passport. and it was just a renewal. I even missed my father's funeral because he did not have a passport. I on the other hand, received mine but it was already too late, since covid protocols in the Philippines required a 10 day quarantine and my passport arrived after the funeral. It was pretty useless at that time.

I thought I was the only one! I felt this exact same way last weekend, I called the National Passport Center, waited for a very very long time only to get connected to someone that felt didn't care about my situation. 
I received my passport book on July 3rd and got my Naturalization Certificate July 19th, I was very desperate as I have to leave the country in the next couple of days! I did ask her if there was anything I could do or know to track this important piece of document and she said "There is nothing, you just have to wait", very frustrating! Best of luck for you! Let us know how it went.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.