RO_AH

Sending Money To Philippines

49 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I use xoom and a few seconds after I authorize the transaction, I get a notification from BDO that a deposit was made.

YMMV

6 hours ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

1-2 days? What a joke. Too slow. I use WorldRemit and it's in my fiancée's bank account within a few minutes. She also has the option of picking up cash or I can send her GCash and even load for the phone. 

Interesting, based on @payxibka 's feedback, Xoom is almost instantaneous too. The 1-2 days estimate is my own personal experience, because I don't bother to check until 1-2 days later. I'm usually not online when the US-based sender does the transfer. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Adventine said:

Interesting, based on @payxibka 's feedback, Xoom is almost instantaneous too. The 1-2 days estimate is my own personal experience, because I don't bother to check until 1-2 days later. I'm usually not online when the US-based sender does the transfer. 

My fiancée receives a text message as do I as soon as the funds are received. I typically do it on the same day each month and usually while we are on the phone. 

1 minute ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

My fiancée receives a text message as do I as soon as the funds are received. I typically do it on the same day each month and usually while we are on the phone. 

I see. I'm not signed up for text alerts and the fund transfers aren't regular, so I usually just see a notification email 1-2 days after I talk with the US-based family member. Could very well be the transfer don't take that long, and I just never bothered to measure the exact amount of time.

12 hours ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

1-2 days? What a joke. Too slow. I use WorldRemit and it's in my fiancée's bank account within a few minutes. She also has the option of picking up cash or I can send her GCash and even load for the phone. 

All companies I listed hae the option for instant transfer but you have to pay a fee. My goal was to give actual information to help others. Personally the balance in my wife's account is never so low that I need to send it instantly, so I don't place so much importance in the speed. However for the last 2 months all of my transactions have been in less than 24 hours and no fee. But for the sake of argument I did a side by side comparison with World Remit. I will stick with WU

Compare.jpg

6 hours ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

I don't know of a service that does not send a text notification.

I have only rarely sent money but the times I have I just walked into a Walmart and did MoneyGram with US Dollar payout.  The fee may be slightly higher but not by much and since you pay it up front, the receiver gets exactly however many US Dollars you sent.  So there is complete transparency and no shenanigans with exchange rates.  IIRC it's $8 to send $1,000 and the receiver gets $1,000.  It's as easy just walking in a Walmart.

I one time tried to send Xoom and they kept asking me for more and more info to verify the account and after some ridiculous amounts of additional ID and financial information they still wouldn't open the account so I gave it up as more effort than I was willing to pursue to save $3 or $4.  Since they are still in business I assume I must just be a special case for some reason but they sure didn't want my business.

The only caveat with MoneyGram US Dollar payout is, it's no problem to find payout locations with Dollars in the big cities, but I imagine it's impossible to find someplace with Dollars in the province.  So that may be a good or a bad solution depending where the receiver is.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

On 1/17/2021 at 2:21 AM, RO_AH said:

I used Xoom in the past and will never use them again. Terrible customer service if there is a problem. How are Transferwise exchange rates and fees?

I use Transferwise...rates are better than WU. When I use my debit card and send $1000 the charge is around $16. The money is always in her account the next day.

10 hours ago, dnavinnie said:

$1000 the charge is around $16

Fee 😧ouch. I just checked their rate today 48.0350 And WU today is 47.4671 so the exchange rate is better however when you add in the fee it comes out to a loss using transferwise.

Timeline

Just sent monthly unemployment insurance money to the Phils through WU.  Happy days are here again.  Transaction took a couple of hours!  Bank to bank, 47.54 exchange rate.

I'm just lazy. We just use WU when we send something to the boss's parents.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Timeline
8 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

Unemployment Inusrance Money? 

Please Explain

She lost her job due to pandemic and I have to assist her with living expenses.

When it comes to these money transfer places, I think alot just comes down to if your happy with the service, everything is timely, and if the fees and FX rate are competitive, why mess around with it.  Each of the companies have their own benefits depending on your location and who your sending money too.

Xoom - I used this company alot from around 2009-2012 or so.  Xoom was one of the few companies at that time that you could send money to yourself and the fees were quite cheap.  I could send in USD with a max send of $2500 or $5000 and all I had to do was show ID and pick up the money.  It was quick and easy at that time.

Western Union - depending where you are sending from, WU can be dirt cheap in transactions fees.  I would send via WU when I was working in Hong Kong and Singapore as the transaction fees were only $2-3 and the FX rate was good.  You will find WU to have extremely low fees in countries that have a large population of OFWs as well as other nationalities (Indians, Indonesians, etc).  This low fee does not apply to the US as most OFWs in the US are not helpers, drivers, etc, therefore have higher wages.

WorldRemit- for this past year when I was stuck in the US, I used them to send money for my son.  They were fast, reliable, good communication etc.  I dont think their FX rate is the best, but it did the job for me with zero hassle so I was happy.  Maybe I could have save $50-100 over the course of the year but the service was great.

Transferwise- Ive never used them but have heard good things from quite a few people. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

On 1/20/2021 at 2:20 AM, RO_AH said:

Fee 😧ouch. I just checked their rate today 48.0350 And WU today is 47.4671 so the exchange rate is better however when you add in the fee it comes out to a loss using transferwise.

The last time I used WU I was charged $14 transfer fee for $1000. What is your rate?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.