LukasAnderson

Beneficiary's Overseas Address

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I have a few questions about filling out address's on the i-129f for K1 visa.

Currently me (petitioner) and my fiance (beneficiary) are living together at my apartment here In Japan, however she is not technically legally registered as living here.

I work in Japan and as an English Language Assistant teacher, and thus live in an an apartment with government subsidized rent.

Under official rules of my work contract, people are not allowed to live with me, as to not be mooching of my subsidized rent, but my boss who so happens to be my good friend gave me the okay off the books. To be honest its really not that strict.

My fiance currently is registered at her parents address one town over,  so i was planning to use that as her mailing address and physical address abroad.

I understand any mail sent to her would go there. I can travel there to retrieve documents or have her parents relay me any necessary information.

Conversely, since my fiance is physically present with me everyday because we live together, i thought perhaps it would be a strong case of evidence to show the legitimacy of our relationship.

I assume USCIS will lookup her registered address, but also feel maybe it won't look great that that address is the same as her parents?

Would like to be as honest as possible.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Edited by LukasAnderson

6 hours ago, LukasAnderson said:

I have a few questions about filling out address's on the i-129f for K1 visa.

Currently me (petitioner) and my fiance (beneficiary) are living together at my apartment here In Japan, however she is not technically legally registered as living here.

I work in Japan and as an English Language Assistant teacher, and thus live in an an apartment with government subsidized rent.

Under official rules of my work contract, people are not allowed to live with me, as to not be mooching of my subsidized rent, but my boss who so happens to be my good friend gave me the okay off the books. To be honest its really not that strict.

My fiance currently is registered at her parents address one town over,  so i was planning to use that as her mailing address and physical address abroad.

I understand any mail sent to her would go there. I can travel there to retrieve documents or have her parents relay me any necessary information.

Conversely, since my fiance is physically present with me everyday because we live together, i thought perhaps it would be a strong case of evidence to show the legitimacy of our relationship.

I assume USCIS will lookup her registered address, but also feel maybe it won't look great that that address is the same as her parents?

Wouldn't think too much into it. I used my parents address as my permanent address for everything I do because I change cities alot,so that's what I used in my forms. I also put my current address where I was living at the time of filing but for mailing address I used my work address because I am mostly at work anytime a mail would come. And the mail was sent to my work when it was time. 

I have a few questions about filling out addresses on the i-129f for K1 visa.

Currently me (petitioner) and my fiancé (beneficiary) are living together at my apartment here In Japan, however she is not technically legally registered as living here.

I work in Japan and as an English Language Assistant teacher, and thus live in an apartment with government subsidized rent. Under official rules of my work contract, people are not allowed to live with me, as to not be mooching of my subsidized rent, but my boss who so happens to be my good friend gave me the okay off the books. To be honest it's really not that strict.

My fiancé currently is registered at her parents address one town over, so i was planning to use that as her mailing address and physical address abroad. I understand any mail sent to her would go there. I can travel there to retrieve documents or have her parents relay me any necessary information. Conversely, since my fiancé is physically present with me every day because we live together, i thought perhaps it would be a strong case of evidence to show the legitimacy of our relationship.

I assume USCIS will look up her registered address, but also feel maybe it won't look great that that address is the same as her parents?

Use the parents address. The I-129f, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) only requires meeting ONCE within 2 years prior to filing your application. Japan is not a difficult embassy to interview at so all the mumble jumble of this address and that address, and he/she is here and so on and so forth can be thrown out the window. Just concentrate on providing the documents and evidence that is required for the interview. Yes, and be honest with the information you provide and at the interview. DO NOT volunteer information or go into a long-winded story in front of the CO during your interview. Wait till the question is asked and answer the CO, while looking them directly in the eyes, with your short and to the point honest answer. Just reading a bit into your nervousness so I thought I would opine with the experiences that I have seen. Good luck and stay engaged in the process. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

7 hours ago, LukasAnderson said:

How will you demonstrate you live together if you can’t put her name on the lease? Just your word isn’t enough unfortunately. Just to add, USCIS doesn’t really care if your relationship is ‘legit’, they just wanna see that you met in the last 2 years. 

14 hours ago, LukasAnderson said:

Currently me (petitioner) and my fiance (beneficiary) are living together at my apartment here In Japan

Since you already live together, why not get married and pursue a spouse visa instead?

Timeline
11 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

Use the parents address. The I-129f, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) only requires meeting ONCE within 2 years prior to filing your application. Japan is not a difficult embassy to interview at so all the mumble jumble of this address and that address, and he/she is here and so on and so forth can be thrown out the window. Just concentrate on providing the documents and evidence that is required for the interview. Yes, and be honest with the information you provide and at the interview. DO NOT volunteer information or go into a long-winded story in front of the CO during your interview. Wait till the question is asked and answer the CO, while looking them directly in the eyes, with your short and to the point honest answer. Just reading a bit into your nervousness so I thought I would opine with the experiences that I have seen. Good luck and stay engaged in the process. 

thanks for your input! I have seen your thorough comments all over Visajourney!

Its nice to hear that Japan isnt so difficult to interview at.

I admit i do have a lot of nervousness regarding this whole process.

Most of it is in regards to the fact that we are both living overseas.

I`m a bit stressed over using my foreign address here in Japan as my mailing address simply because im wondering if the time it takes to receive mail will be significantly increased due to COVID-19 mail restrictions. Would it be better to use my parents address back home for my mailing address?

Timeline
3 hours ago, Chancy said:

Since you already live together, why not get married and pursue a spouse visa instead?

1. I'm not planning to renew my job contract here in Japan, so i will have to head back to the stats around next october.

The spousal visa has a huge waiting list and processing time up to 18 months as far as i understand it. I would prefer not to be away from my fiance for too long.

2. Because all of my income is foreign income i will need a joint sponsor for my fiance come interview time.

The Afadavit of support is non-legally binding under the k-1 fiance visa, thus my parents agreed to help as a joint sponsor.

Once my job here finishes and we both come back to The States and marry, i will be secured in my job back home, and can support her using my own income when applying for her to naturalize.

Timeline
10 hours ago, powerpuff said:

How will you demonstrate you live together if you can’t put her name on the lease? Just your word isn’t enough unfortunately. Just to add, USCIS doesn’t really care if your relationship is ‘legit’, they just wanna see that you met in the last 2 years. 

This is the point of my question.

If my word is not enough then i will just use her parents address :) 

thank you.

The spousal visa has a huge waiting list and processing time up to 18 months as far as i understand it. I would prefer not to be away from my fiance for too long.

Nope. Since Covid started, the K-1 backlog has grown and the IR-1/CR-1 timeline is now similar to K-1.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-statistics/immigrant-visa-statistics/monthly-immigrant-visa-issuances.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-statistics/nonimmigrant-visa-statistics/monthly-nonimmigrant-visa-issuances.html

• In October Tokyo issued 144 IR-1/CR-1 visas and 44 K-1 visas
  • In September Tokyo issued 138 IR-1/CR-1 visas and 5 K-1 visas
  • In August Tokyo issued 119 IR-1/CR-1 visas and 3 K-1 visas
  • In July Tokyo issued 69 IR-1/CR-1 visas and ZERO K-1 visas
  • In June Tokyo issued 39 IR-1/CR-1 visas and 1 K-1 visa
  • In May Tokyo issued 16 IR-1/CR-1 visas and 1 K-1 visa
  • In April Tokyo issued 19 IR-1/CR-1 visas and 1 K-1 visa
Edited by HRQX

Timeline
2 hours ago, HRQX said:

Nope. Since Covid started, the K-1 backlog has grown and the IR-1/CR-1 timeline is now similar to K-1.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-statistics/immigrant-visa-statistics/monthly-immigrant-visa-issuances.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-statistics/nonimmigrant-visa-statistics/monthly-nonimmigrant-visa-issuances.html

• In October Tokyo issued 144 IR-1/CR-1 visas and 44 K-1 visas
  • In September Tokyo issued 138 IR-1/CR-1 visas and 5 K-1 visas
  • In August Tokyo issued 119 IR-1/CR-1 visas and 3 K-1 visas
  • In July Tokyo issued 69 IR-1/CR-1 visas and ZERO K-1 visas
  • In June Tokyo issued 39 IR-1/CR-1 visas and 1 K-1 visa
  • In May Tokyo issued 16 IR-1/CR-1 visas and 1 K-1 visa
  • In April Tokyo issued 19 IR-1/CR-1 visas and 1 K-1 visa

I appreciate your feedback and data! For me personally it does not work with my timeline since the average processing time per this website is still over 500 days while the K1 visa is around 370. And that would have to be from the time I get actually married to my fiancé. I also believe with the COVID vaccine being approved in the last few days the processing time for K-1 will be reduced drastically over the course of the next couple months. I am curious as to why there are so few K-1’s going through Tokyo though.

in addition I need a joint sponsor for the affidavit of loss to sponsor my fiancé, and it is not legally binding for the K-1 as it is for the IR-1/CR-1.

Applying for the IR-1/CR-1 after my marriage in America allows me time to settle into a job back home so I can be the legal sponsor for my fiancé, as we are both in japan now.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.