19 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm filling out the I-864 form for my wife here in belgium, and have a question regarding how income is determined and compared to the poverty gudelines. I make enough to sponsor my wife, and will be bringing pay stubs to back up my claim. However, I noted that the I-864 asks for my adjusted gross income, which is NOT above the poverty gudeline because I live and work in Belgium and do not earn enough to declare any taxable income in the US. Has anybody had a similar experience?

Thanks,

Caleb

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Will your job continue in the US once you move?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I was thinking more of the I 864, do you have a Joint Sponsor?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I don't... I could, but the Visa Officer at the embassy said that it wouldn't be necessary as long as I exceed the poverty guidelines.

I guess the question in my mind is whether they look at Adjusted Gross income or total annual income.

Edited by Caleb Aaron

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Caleb Aaron said:

I don't... I could, but the Visa Officer at the embassy said that it wouldn't be necessary as long as I exceed the poverty guidelines.

I guess the question in my mind is whether they look at Adjusted Gross income or total annual income.

Well they will not look at your Belgium income at all so it does not matter.

I appreciate your input, but I asked the Visa officer specifically about it yesterday. He told me just the opposite. That all I needed was to have proof of my income here.

Timeline

Why would your income in Belgium be relevant when you are quitting your job?

Well let us know how that goes. Thus far I have never seen the consulates accept income that won't continue. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

It makes no sense. How can you sign a form that you make enough to support your wife with a job that you no longer have? The whole point of the I-864 is to determine whether the immigrant will be supported once they arrive, not that the sponsor previously had a well-paid job in the past. 

Are you able you use assets to cover the requirement?

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

14 hours ago, Caleb Aaron said:

I asked the same question. All I know is what he told me, which is that the income from my current position would be considered.

This is incorrect.  You cannot support a new immigrant to the US with income that will not continue after that person immigrates.  

17 hours ago, Caleb Aaron said:

Hi @Caleb Aaron do you have a US domicile?

You definitely can use assets to help but you will need to prove that you have a income in the US now! Not in the future.

You will need Tax return yes or yes, and you didn't filled like you said.

Please be prepared to receive a Request for evidence because they will probably ask you for a co-sponsor.

Good luck 

Edited by Paula&Johnny

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 12/4/2020 at 10:49 AM, Caleb Aaron said:

Hi all,

I'm filling out the I-864 form for my wife here in belgium, and have a question regarding how income is determined and compared to the poverty gudelines. I make enough to sponsor my wife, and will be bringing pay stubs to back up my claim. However, I noted that the I-864 asks for my adjusted gross income, which is NOT above the poverty gudeline because I live and work in Belgium and do not earn enough to declare any taxable income in the US. Has anybody had a similar experience?

Thanks,

Caleb

I also live and work abroad. I had also understood that my foreign income + assets would be enough. My lawyer assured me the same. Turns out I got DQ'd with a note that says for me to get a joint sponsor bc I don't make enough (bc it's foreign income)... I would advise you get a joint sponsor before your interview, despite what you were told... just to be safe.

Let us know how the interview goes.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Hilde said:

I also live and work abroad. I had also understood that my foreign income + assets would be enough. My lawyer assured me the same. Turns out I got DQ'd with a note that says for me to get a joint sponsor bc I don't make enough (bc it's foreign income)... I would advise you get a joint sponsor before your interview, despite what you were told... just to be safe.

Let us know how the interview goes.

Your Lawyer knoew your income would not continue when moving to the US?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.