PWB

Travel from Philippines to the US (Texas) During Covid

48 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

That you.  I want to write a summary of this adventure but will do so only after she is here.  For both of us the joy was stolen and even now we are apprehensive.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, PWB said:

That you.  I want to write a summary of this adventure but will do so only after she is here.  For both of us the joy was stolen and even now we are apprehensive.

I couldn't blame you. You have K1 PTSD!

35 minutes ago, PWB said:

K1 Visa has finally been issued, now focus shifts to travel.  What are the requirements for travel and are there any recommendations on airlines?  Is covid testing required?  Please someone with first hand current knowledge only,  too much confusion caused by opinions and rumors,  need the true facts.   Thanks so very much.

Which airport in Texas is your destination

DFW is open for international flights, no testing at the airport.

Where is you fiance based? Is she in Manila area already or in the province and will have to travel to Manila to catch a flight

Edited by Allovertheworld

30 minutes ago, PWB said:

K1 Visa has finally been issued, now focus shifts to travel.  What are the requirements for travel and are there any recommendations on airlines?  Is covid testing required?  Please someone with first hand current knowledge only,  too much confusion caused by opinions and rumors,  need the true facts.   Thanks so very much.

Hi, first of all, congratulations! 😊

I’m traveling soon via Philippine Airlines to activate my CR1 visa. PAL has always been my airline of choice flying to the US due to direct flights to LAX, SFO and JFK. This is a plus at this time of COVID - less layovers, less contact. 

Covid testing is required only for Filipinos on non-essential travel. 

For documentary requirements for travel, I referred to this chart on PAL’s website (under “Eligible Passengers for International Travel”) https://www.philippineairlines.com/en/ph/home/covid-19/departingfromtheph

Also, don’t forget to secure the GCP Certificate from the CFO prior to departure. 

Congrats again! 

Timeline

Flying out of Manila and I was thinking Emirates would be best because they fly to Houston.  Emirates does require covid testing and in Manila that is costing about 8,000p.  Philippines air lines is a consideration but they don't fly to Houston which means she would land at LAX and who knows what California is going to be like in the first part of December.  

*~*~*country-specific question moved to Philippines regional forum*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

2 hours ago, PWB said:

Facts will need to be confirmed with whichever airline you choose.  Best of luck. 

Personally, if Emirates flies to your final destination, I would go with them; comfort is nice on an long flight. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, PWB said:

Flying out of Manila and I was thinking Emirates would be best because they fly to Houston.  Emirates does require covid testing and in Manila that is costing about 8,000p.  Philippines air lines is a consideration but they don't fly to Houston which means she would land at LAX and who knows what California is going to be like in the first part of December.  

I'm in Dallas to and hate flying through California. I think given all circumstances your quickest and most direct route to a US POE i.e Lax, SFO (I prefer SFO) is your best bet. 

9 hours ago, PWB said:

My two US citizen friends flew from Panglao Island (near Bohol) three weeks ago. They had to fly to Manila first and had to get a barangay clearance, LGU clearance, police clearance, and medical clearances. There was no COVID swab test in the U.S. or the Philippines.

What finally convinced the embassy to release your visa? 

I've been looking at JAL to go to LA. Less than $500 one way. Only a 2 hour layover in Japan. No swab test or documentation required for a short layover in Japan.

Edited by user555

9 hours ago, PWB said:

Check out Emirates website as the requirements may have changed. https://www.emirates.com/ph/english/help/covid-19/dubai-travel-requirements/tourists/

Looks like travelers transiting through Dubai from the Philippines are required to present negative COVID-19 test certificate. I just browed through it so I may be wrong, but there's the link for you. 

Good luck and safe travels to your other half!

10 hours ago, 3naD said:

Covid testing is required only for Filipinos on non-essential travel. 

IATF Resolution 80 lifted the COVID testing requirement for outbound non-essential travel.  No test required by the Philippines for any outbound travel unless it is a requirement of the airline or the destination. 

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline
43 minutes ago, 3naD said:

Check out Emirates website as the requirements may have changed. https://www.emirates.com/ph/english/help/covid-19/dubai-travel-requirements/tourists/

Looks like travelers transiting through Dubai from the Philippines are required to present negative COVID-19 test certificate. I just browed through it so I may be wrong, but there's the link for you. 

Good luck and safe travels to your other half!

I think you are right about covid testing and Emirates.  Problem is finding a place in Manila that will do the testing at a reasonable price.  8000peso seems high. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.