Stuwoolf

Moved to Florida - First Grocery Shop

29 posts in this topic

Not sure this is the right place so please move or delete of not appropriate.

As much as I intend to try local foods, right now I am looking for equivalents to UK brands and tastes.

Hovis/Warburton White Bread?............I find the US bread a wee bit sweet

Back Bacon? Maybe its only streakie bacon here?

Maybe a list for others would help? Or maybe a list already exists, if so, apologies.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Try a search in this forum, or begin scrolling pages.  I remember seeing several threads (not recently, however) about UK emigrants adjusting to life here.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Bread - so far Aldi "artisan" loaves are the best every day substitute for us. 

Bacon - I have never found an acceptable substitute. A colleague of my husband very kindly sent me some bacon she had home cured (Canadian style), which was more like ham. Very disappointing. You could do an internet search for a butcher near you that may do speciality cuts - British bacon is from pork tenderloin whereas American is from pork belly. I found this online store but I haven't used them yet: https://www.scottishgourmetusa.com/ They are based in North Carolina and shipping may be delayed due to covid restrictions. A pound of bacon is $14 from them.

It's also worth looking for Aussie food in the US. They have the same problem as us with finding food here too sweet. My local Meijer carry a brand called Boomerang's. If you like chicken I suggest looking for air dried chicken. I find regular chicken here watery and lacking in flavour. I found an Indian store (I had difficulty finding spices) that also has some British biscuits and chocolate. Over the years I've learned to keep an eye out for stores run by other immigrants and stock up when I can. Costco is good for cheddar and meat. 

I think missing food is part of homesickness. I found that keeping a few items for when I feel I need comfort helps on bad days (marmite, gravy granules, chocolate) and I get teabags on subscription, all from amazon. If you live near a larger city you may find a deli type store that carries international brands. You adapt eventually. 

On 11/11/2020 at 3:56 AM, fip & jim said:

Bread - so far Aldi "artisan" loaves are the best every day substitute for us. 

Bacon - I have never found an acceptable substitute. A colleague of my husband very kindly sent me some bacon she had home cured (Canadian style), which was more like ham. Very disappointing. You could do an internet search for a butcher near you that may do speciality cuts - British bacon is from pork tenderloin whereas American is from pork belly. I found this online store but I haven't used them yet: https://www.scottishgourmetusa.com/ They are based in North Carolina and shipping may be delayed due to covid restrictions. A pound of bacon is $14 from them.

It's also worth looking for Aussie food in the US. They have the same problem as us with finding food here too sweet. My local Meijer carry a brand called Boomerang's. If you like chicken I suggest looking for air dried chicken. I find regular chicken here watery and lacking in flavour. I found an Indian store (I had difficulty finding spices) that also has some British biscuits and chocolate. Over the years I've learned to keep an eye out for stores run by other immigrants and stock up when I can. Costco is good for cheddar and meat. 

I think missing food is part of homesickness. I found that keeping a few items for when I feel I need comfort helps on bad days (marmite, gravy granules, chocolate) and I get teabags on subscription, all from amazon. If you live near a larger city you may find a deli type store that carries international brands. You adapt eventually. 

Thanks.

Tried the Aldi Artisan bread and it was ok but could have been better...then I realised its Salted Butter I have (I'm an UNsalted kinda guy!). "Slightly" doesnt seem to be available so will try Unsalted. Found the Aldi line of Never Any which says no hormones or antibiotics added. Will see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Edited by Stuwoolf

Timeline
3 hours ago, Stuwoolf said:

Thanks.

Tried the Aldi Artisan bread and it was ok but could have been better...then I realised its Salted Butter I have (I'm an UNsalted kinda guy!). "Slightly" doesnt seem to be available so will try Unsalted. Found the Aldi line of Never Any which says no hormones or antibiotics added. Will see how it goes.

Thanks again.

You're welcome. It's part of the adjustment to living here. I find it's not as easy and convenient to eat healthy here. Back in the UK I had a Tesco I could walk to in 10 minutes and there were healthy options if you'd had a busy day and wanted something quick and easy. I have to plan ahead much more here and shop around. In some ways it's been good to cook more, but on days I feel stressed I miss the options I used to have. I'm in rural Michigan so your options may be better than mine.

There was a thread about 18 months ago about this but I haven't been able to find it yet. If I do I'll post the link for you. 

Have you been able to get a driver's license? The sooner you can get mobile on your own the better you'll be able to adjust. 

30 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

You're welcome. It's part of the adjustment to living here. I find it's not as easy and convenient to eat healthy here. Back in the UK I had a Tesco I could walk to in 10 minutes and there were healthy options if you'd had a busy day and wanted something quick and easy. I have to plan ahead much more here and shop around. In some ways it's been good to cook more, but on days I feel stressed I miss the options I used to have. I'm in rural Michigan so your options may be better than mine.

There was a thread about 18 months ago about this but I haven't been able to find it yet. If I do I'll post the link for you. 

Have you been able to get a driver's license? The sooner you can get mobile on your own the better you'll be able to adjust. 

Right now we are relying on grocery delivery and just treading water! We are on Day 10 of 14 days Isolation.

Even the simplest of things like trying to get a US phone number/sim card (which will work on my Samsung A7 handset) has been challenging and remains so. Been trying to get my SSN sorted out but we cant get out (not even sure the local office is open) and dont have a sim card which would allow us to call them. Could use our O2 but we fear that will be expensive. My UK driving licence is good for 12 months (I think?) if not, my wife has her licence. Just gotta sit tight until isolation is complete then get on with it.

Its all been a bit difficult but should get better soon🙂

Thanks for your help.

Timeline

It's got to be even more difficult than usual in these circumstances. I'm a couple of years ahead of you so I'm not up to speed on the current situation with getting the essentials sorted. I got a Verizon cell phone early on, it's too much hassle otherwise. Drivers licenses vary by state so it's best to check locally. You should get a SSN sent to you with the visa you entered on. If it hasn't arrived in the mail in the next few weeks then call your local office. The subforum for everything SSN is here: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/156-social-security-numbers/

30 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

It's got to be even more difficult than usual in these circumstances. I'm a couple of years ahead of you so I'm not up to speed on the current situation with getting the essentials sorted. I got a Verizon cell phone early on, it's too much hassle otherwise. Drivers licenses vary by state so it's best to check locally. You should get a SSN sent to you with the visa you entered on. If it hasn't arrived in the mail in the next few weeks then call your local office. The subforum for everything SSN is here: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/156-social-security-numbers/

Thanks for this. Just read thru it. Most er, interesting😂 Is it just us Brits who get so wound up about food from home? When I worked in Germany, so many didnt bother with the local Markhauf German supermarket.....they only shopped at the NAAFI😂...unless there was a bus organised to go to the US PX😂😂😂🙂😂😂😂. Hey ho, each to their

Timeline
7 hours ago, Stuwoolf said:

Is it just us Brits who get so wound up about food from home?

The Brits are #1, and the Canadians might be #2.

Observation offered by a mere Colonist. :P 

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

you may want to look around your area for specialty shops that offer food from home

i found a little store near where we are that specializes in things like eastern european groceries, and everything looks to be imported so its a little more expensive, but it is things my wife knows and recognizes.

maybe there is something like that for more conventional and authentic food from where you came from?

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

On 11/14/2020 at 4:33 PM, Stuwoolf said:

Thanks for this. Just read thru it. Most er, interesting😂 Is it just us Brits who get so wound up about food from home? When I worked in Germany, so many didnt bother with the local Markhauf German supermarket.....they only shopped at the NAAFI😂...unless there was a bus organised to go to the US PX😂😂😂🙂😂😂😂. Hey ho, each to their

Nah! I'm Aussie and I have already cried because I miss food. The food in the Midwest is SO different (and boring) compared to what I had in Australia. I miss the healthy eating and so many things I could get there that I can't here. It is even worse as my three year old only ate sausages and cheerios in Australia and they don't exist here. I recently have been sent some care packages from friends and family of Australian snacks so that is nice! But yeah, I know I need to adjust to US food but.. it is hard! It was fun when I was visiting but now that I am permanently here it's less so. Plus I am pregnant and super nauseous with food aversions so it makes food even less appealing. Fun!

2 hours ago, Cilllah said:

Nah! I'm Aussie and I have already cried because I miss food. The food in the Midwest is SO different (and boring) compared to what I had in Australia. I miss the healthy eating and so many things I could get there that I can't here. It is even worse as my three year old only ate sausages and cheerios in Australia and they don't exist here. I recently have been sent some care packages from friends and family of Australian snacks so that is nice! But yeah, I know I need to adjust to US food but.. it is hard! It was fun when I was visiting but now that I am permanently here it's less so. Plus I am pregnant and super nauseous with food aversions so it makes food even less appealing. Fun!

Sorry to hear of your situation.

My plan is to become as self sufficient as is required. Planning to buy a bread maker and a sausage machine. That way at least my bread and sausages will (eventually) be more to my taste.🙂

Necessity is the Mother of Invention😂

Good luck

Timeline
12 hours ago, Cilllah said:

I am pregnant

Let me help you, Dear.

During Mrs. T-B.'s first trimester*,

*to be avoided in full by Husbands and indeed All Men at all costs

we were lying in bed at 11:40 p.m.

She looked at me with blood in her eye and said, "I want MANGOES!  VERY hard, and VERY green!"

I made it to the supermarket 4 minutes before they closed.

I brought the mangoes to the bedroom and announced their procurement.

Mrs. T-B. sleepily said, "That's nice," and rolled over and began snoring.  :bonk: 

From this experience, I recommend that you indulge in mangoes (very hard, very green).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.