Ellie G

A few questions for those who recently had their interview

19 posts in this topic

I'm wondering about whether the officers are taking covid into account. We don't have wedding pictures or any proof of a reception because we didn't have one! I arrived in January and in March we just paid an online officiant and met him so we could get the marriage before everything was shut down. We had a plan to take part in an art marriage event but that obviously got cancelled. And then when my family were coming to visit in August we were going to have a family celebration, but obviously their tickets got cancelled. So no marriage event happened.

I'm going to bring proof of the event being cancelled, my family's tickets being cancelled but I'm wondering if anyone was in a similar position. 

Also, due to covid, my husband has been unemployed which is another spanner in the works. I only got my employment authorization 2 days ago so not employed yet lol. We're fine for money (unemployment pay, my sponsor (MIL) is wealthy) but I want to know how important this is to officers. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Ellie G said:

I'm wondering about whether the officers are taking covid into account. We don't have wedding pictures or any proof of a reception because we didn't have one! I arrived in January and in March we just paid an online officiant and met him so we could get the marriage before everything was shut down. We had a plan to take part in an art marriage event but that obviously got cancelled. And then when my family were coming to visit in August we were going to have a family celebration, but obviously their tickets got cancelled. So no marriage event happened.

I'm going to bring proof of the event being cancelled, my family's tickets being cancelled but I'm wondering if anyone was in a similar position. 

Also, due to covid, my husband has been unemployed which is another spanner in the works. I only got my employment authorization 2 days ago so not employed yet lol. We're fine for money (unemployment pay, my sponsor (MIL) is wealthy) but I want to know how important this is to officers. 

We didn't have any pictures.   Wasn't even a question and this was before covid.   Much ado about nothing 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Ellie G said:

That's interesting! Would you mind telling me what they asked for or were interested in?

Was only interested in what we gave them,  such as health insurance on my plan, joint tax, name change on DL & passport.   

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Ellie G said:

Imagine if a wedding reception was a requirement for AOS interview?! All the ones done at a courthouse would be excluded.

From the day you got married, they are only interested in your marriage certificate.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

Imagine if a wedding reception was a requirement for AOS interview?! All the ones done at a courthouse would be excluded.

From the day you got married, they are only interested in your marriage certificate.

For the application maybe, but for tbe interview a lityle more evidence of a commingled life is expected 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
26 minutes ago, payxibka said:

For the application maybe, but for tbe interview a lityle more evidence of a commingled life is expected 

I was talking about the day of the marriage itself.

OP didn't have a reception and it was worried about it. There's no requirement to have parties, and that's what I meant.

Edited by Ayrton

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ellie G said:

We didn't have our wedding ceremony either only the courthouse one, we planned our wedding for summer 2020 but covid cancelled everything.. I'm not worried for that bc it's not an obligation or something that necessarily proves or denies the legitimacy of a marriage especially with this pandemic..

AOS from K1

January 31, 2020:  Sent AOS application packet.

February 4, 2020: NOA date.

February 10, 2020: NOAs received.

February 19, 2020: Biometrics notice received.

February 25, 2020: Biometrics Appt.

August 18, 2020: EAD Approval notice.

August 27, 2020: EAD card received.

August 28, 2020: " Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview " 

September 21, 2020: SNN card received.

January 14, 2021: " Interview was scheduled "

January 22, 2021 : Interview letter received.

February 24, 2021 : Interview day.

February 24, 2021 : " New card is being produced "

February 25, 2021 : " Case was approved "

March 2, 2021 : Approval Letter received in the mail

March 3, 2021 : " Card was picked up by the USPS "

March 3, 2021 : " Notice was returned to the USCIS because the Post Office could not deliver it "

March 4, 2021 : Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2021 : " Card was delivered to me by the Post Office "

March 7, 2021 : " Duplicate Notice was mailed "

18 hours ago, Ellie G said:

Not a problem, we didn't bring any photos from our ceremony either because it was just me, him and one witness. There is no requirement to have a wedding, many couples never do and they're just as married if they have a marriage certificate. I am anti ring, too, so no rings either, no problem with that at all. 

I did bring a bunch of photos to the AOS interview though, we travel a lot, so we had a bunch of them. Also, many of them with family and friends. The IO looked through all of them and commented on them, mostly about the locations. I don't know if photos are required or it was just the most interesting part for him, I imagine it's pretty dull to be looking at official documents all day. But people above are saying that they brought zero photos and it wasn't an issue. So if you have photos together and with family, bring them, if not, don't worry about it. 

I also have a question regarding the beneficiary being employed.  My husband got his EAD/AP in the mail exactly two weeks prior to Florida going into full lockdown.  Then, we didn't feel comfortable during Phase 1 (or 2) to try to keep looking for a job because my parents (elderly, in their 70s and with several illnesses) live with us and we didn't want to put them at risk.  We are going to start looking for jobs now but still we have to be careful because of this situation.  Would this be an issue at the interview?  Or would they consider COVID, limited jobs, my parents' situation, etc.?

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Fe.Ta said:

I also have a question regarding the beneficiary being employed.  My husband got his EAD/AP in the mail exactly two weeks prior to Florida going into full lockdown.  Then, we didn't feel comfortable during Phase 1 (or 2) to try to keep looking for a job because my parents (elderly, in their 70s and with several illnesses) live with us and we didn't want to put them at risk.  We are going to start looking for jobs now but still we have to be careful because of this situation.  Would this be an issue at the interview?  Or would they consider COVID, limited jobs, my parents' situation, etc.?

You need a qualified sponsor,  whether it is you or someone else.  No exceptions. 

YMMV

5 minutes ago, payxibka said:

You need a qualified sponsor,  whether it is you or someone else.  No exceptions. 

I am a qualified sponsor.  Didn't need a co-sponsor or anything for my husband either.  Our affidavit meets all the requirements for our case (we were pre-public charge too).  So, I was just asking out of the curiousness of if him being unemployed (after getting EAD/AP) would create a red flag.

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

Timeline
Just now, Fe.Ta said:

I am a qualified sponsor.  Didn't need a co-sponsor or anything for my husband either.  Our affidavit meets all the requirements for our case (we were pre-public charge too).  So, I was just asking out of the curiousness of if him being unemployed (after getting EAD/AP) would create a red flag.

Alien is not required to work 

YMMV

We eloped two years ago, and only had our AOS interview this year on 30th January.  Our wedding was just us, at a small inn on a nearby island.  Our photos are selfies.  We did print them out and also some family photos taken subsequently, like when my husband's daughters visited.

Our USCIS interviewer was actually interested in seeing the photos.  He also asked each of us the full names and birthdates of all of our kids (husband has two and I have two, they're all adults),  plus the updating of the I-485 form, such as my husband's work info.  He seemed less interested in the financial commingling, although we had brought our bank account,  joint car purchase, and health insurance info.

Perhaps because there was quite a length of time between our wedding and the interview, there was more to update.

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Alien is not required to work 

Thank you!

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.