BC97

K1 Expedite Request

42 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I was planning to send off my expedite (medical reasons for me - the petitioner) this week, we are at interview stage with our file at the embassy since January. I figured it was already a long shot to begin with since London is very difficult. Now with the lockdown should I still try? Or should I wait a few days to see if the embassy stays open?

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Can not do any harm.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I just received this reply from the NVC for my request for an expedite. 

Dear Sir: 

At this time, due to COVID-19 concerns, all U.S. Embassies and Consulate Generals have suspended routine visa services.  The NVC will not forward K-1 petitions to the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate General until they resume routine visa services.  Routine visa services will resume as soon as possible, but we cannot provide a specific date.

Unfortunately, due to the closure of the U.S. Embassies and Consulates, we cannot send an expedite request for the case to the appropriate U.S. Embassy.

IMPORTANT:

Do not let more than one year pass without contacting the NVC concerning this visa petition. If a period of one year passes from the last date of contact (by telephone, mail, or e-mail) with the NVC, all submitted fees and documents expire. If this occurs, the fees must be paid again and documents must be resubmitted in order to continue the immigration process.

Regards,

Felix | Public Inquiry Unit

Department of State CA/VO/DO/NVC

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

@Tacos I wonder if it's for the whole NVC or for the specific consulate that they would send the visa to that could be processing visas or could still be closed? In simpler terms, will the consulate request the case from the NVC or not? We're going to be going through the Australian consulate and it seems like they've been accepted expedite requests. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, Newhawaiki said:

@Tacos I wonder if it's for the whole NVC or for the specific consulate that they would send the visa to that could be processing visas or could still be closed? In simpler terms, will the consulate request the case from the NVC or not? We're going to be going through the Australian consulate and it seems like they've been accepted expedite requests. 

I’m dealing with the embassy in Bogota, so it’s probably per the specific consulate/embassy 

12 hours ago, Newhawaiki said:

It's for closed embassies. If an embassy is open and processing K-1 the expediting of the case would be processed to its end whether that is a granted expedite or refusal. There are those who have been able to sidestep this condition, Australia is one that comes to mind as I know of two people who were expedited during coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, but they were for medical reasons of the petitioner. I wish @Tacos luck in getting their case expedited.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
On 11/13/2020 at 9:53 AM, Newhawaiki said:

I contacted Sydney Embassy yesterday (Monday 16/11) they are still processing K1's. We can't really justify an expedited request, as we are both still working etc. We have been waiting at the NVC stage since April. Its looking like we will be apart for Christmas this year. 

Here's hoping they get through the list. 

Good luck with your request.

Timeline
1 minute ago, HRQX said:

You can visit the US with ESTA. Some have used the Compassionate and Compelling category to exit Australia:

The only issue with this is the $2,000 cost of 2wks quarantine, upon my return, along with the extra time off work. 

Timeline

I know the Colombia embassy is still not processing K1 visas or setting appointments other than emergencies.  I asked to apply for an emergency appointment and they will only consider one if you already have a regular interview time booked, which the portal does not allow.  Because of this circular thinking, this means that they are also not allowing for emergency K1 visa interviews.  I've been living in Colombia about 2 months now waiting for a change because all we lack in our case is the interview + medical, but they refuse to do anything, despite the country being open.  Very frustrating. 

I  tried my luck to see if my military veteran status would be acceptable as a reason to expedite the process but the response below says otherwise. Our case is on its way to the US Embassy in Abu Dhabi, just got notified by NVC that they just sent it about at week ago. 

snip K1.PNG

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 9/14/2020 at 11:18 AM, Jorgedig said:

Having a non-working adult in the household is a financial burden, actually.

This is what I thought when I read the OP's post, it's a catch 22..  I think a medical disability for which you need the beneficiaries assistance would be stronger grounds,  kind of pathetic that were in a situation that were making up excuses to get them to do their Job! 

They should be PROCESSING OUR PETITIONS!..  I don't buy into the "Covid" excuse either, if State and Federal Governments can do virtual hearings, there is NO reason why interviewers at our embassies cant do virtual interviews and get our visa's approved! 

Edited by nykolos

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.