Hello,

A quick overview of my timeline before I ask a question:

Baltimore, MD

1/13/2020 Application Received

1/17/2020 Biometrics Scheduled

1/27/2020 Biometrics Attended/Reviewed

9/9/2020 Interview Scheduled

10/14/2020 Scheduled Interview Date

However, I'm a semiconductor engineer and I have a business trip to Korea from 9/27/2020 to 1/4/2021.

This trip is very important and accommodations like housing are already arranged.

I am planning to reschedule my interview and I head that I need to follow the rescheduling instructions on the interview notice that I got and explain my situation by mail.

My question is, will USCIS reschedule my interview after I return from Korea? Or is it completely random and they may reschedule it before I come back to the States?

I don't mind the extra wait due to rescheduling, but I cannot return to the States and go back to Korea due to the Korea's COVID-19 prevention and quarantine law.

Thank you in advance and feel free to give me any extra advices.

Stay safe and good luck to everyone!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

They'll reschedule you for the next free appointment and you have no saying in it. Might be 4 weeks or 4 months later.

Of course you can try and explain that you won't be back before that date and ask for a new appointment after you get back but I don't know if they care.

Thank you for your reply.

Is it possible to reschedule after the first reschedule?

That is, if they reschedule it before I come back, may I reschedule it again?

Thank you.

Edit to my comment above,

I read somewhere that one may reschedule the interview up to two times.

If the 2nd reschedule request is filed, and the 3rd appointment date later given also doesn't work out, the N400 will be automatically denied.

I am not sure if this is 100% true, however.

Filed: Timeline

Acc to this post, VJer was given two chances for interview, both of which he missed so USCIS administratively closed his case.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/702245-interview-appt-missedn400-administratively-closed/

The important thing is to inform USCIS. Here's a sample letter from https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-do-i-reschedule-naturalization-citizenship-interview.html

Sample Reschedule Request

[Your address and the date]

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Citizenship Unit
[Address from which the interview notice came]

RE: [Your full name and A-number]; Request for Reschedule

Dear Sir/Madam:

I am unable to attend the citizenship interview that you set for [date].The reason is that [explain your reason]. Please reschedule me for a later date. I can be reached at the address above, or by telephone at [your number].

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Very truly yours,

[sign your name]

[type your name]

Followup From USCIS

If you don't hear back from USCIS about your request within six weeks or more, get in touch with USCIS's Contact Center.

M-476

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/chapter3.pdf

16. What if I cannot go to my scheduled interview?It is very important not to miss your interview. If you have to miss your interview, you should write the office where your interview is to be conducted as soon as possible and ask to have your interview rescheduled. Rescheduling an interview may add several months to the naturalization process, so make all attempts to attend your original interview date. If you miss your scheduled interview without notifying USCIS, we will “administratively close” your case. If we close your case because you missed your interview, we will notify you at your last address of record. Unless you contact us to schedule a new interview within 1 year after we close your case, we will deny your application.

Filed: Timeline

I hope that you can get re scheduled for interview after your trip.

If you got scheduled during your trip, like you said, there's the SK quarantine law. Even without that, just the time to get US passport will be an issue. Plus, I'm assuming you're South Korean so no need for a work visa over there? As soon as you became a USC, do you need a visa to work there for that long?

The best that you can do is to explain fully your situation with some documentation to USCIS and request to have your interview re-scheduled after Jan. But as mentioned before, USCIS may or may not honor your request.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.