Starkness

Booking flight for Spouse to come to the United State ( Filling out Travel Document )

29 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

My wife got her Visa and I'm currently booking a flight for her from Ho Chi Minh City to Seattle, Washington with EVA Air.  On EVA Air website it is asking me for Travel Document, do I need to fill all this out.  It did say "Only the * are mandatory."  

Has anyone has any experiment with this?  Will there be any problem if I book it without filling those out?  She just need to present her Boarding Pass and when come to US present custom border with paperwork right?

I attached an image to help what I'm talking about.

Thank You

Untitled-1 copy.png

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Yes, you need to provide her passport and visa information to the airline.  They will need that information in order for her to fly,

Yes, you will have a problem if you don't provide the information.

No, she needs more than her boarding pass to fly.  The airline needs to see her passport and visa, otherwise they will not let her board.  

What I mean is, if she already have her Passport and Visa, can she just bring those to them to fly.  Do I still need to fill out the Passport and Visa Information when booking a flight.  It say at the bottom Travel Visa may required, but what she have is not a Travel Visa.  It's a Immigration Visa Permanent Resident.

I'm a little confused filling it out.  Under Document Type do I select "Passenger Passport." and in Document Number, is that where I put her Visa Passport Number?

and under Country/Region of Issue, do I put Vietnam?

Edited by Starkness

3 minutes ago, Starkness said:

Country/Region of Issue,

US visa - you put in US

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

1 minute ago, Starkness said:

Thanks! Do I check No Thanks at the bottom, since it's not a Travel Visa?  But its a permanent resident visa.

Travel or Immigration visa it does not matter.   

You can enter the visa number -  it is one less thing they have to hand enter at the airport.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

6 hours ago, Starkness said:

Because under Issuing Post Name in the Immigration Visa it say

US Consulate Ho Chi Minh City

Now I don't know if I put USA or Ho Chi Minh City for Country/Region of Issue for Passport and Visa information.

Should be Ho Chih Minh. Since she would be entering the USA, it's obviously a US visa. But they do want to know which consulate issued it. 

I-130                                                                                   

23 Aug 2020: Filed I-130 online                                         
21 Oct 2020: I-130 approval                              

25 May 2021: Interview

5 June 2021: Entered the US

I-751

31 Mar 2023: Filed at Elgin lockbox

N-400             

9 Mar 2024: Filed online

10 hours ago, Starkness said:

What I mean is, if she already have her Passport and Visa, can she just bring those to them to fly.  Do I still need to fill out the Passport and Visa Information when booking a flight.  It say at the bottom Travel Visa may required, but what she have is not a Travel Visa.  It's a Immigration Visa Permanent Resident.

I'm a little confused filling it out.  Under Document Type do I select "Passenger Passport." and in Document Number, is that where I put her Visa Passport Number?

and under Country/Region of Issue, do I put Vietnam?

Pre-COVID times, I flew with EVA Air for all my trips to the US.  From my experience, their check-in staff were very thorough in checking my travel documents.

On the booking page, under Travel Document --

1. Select Passenger Passport for "Document Type"
  2. Enter your wife's passport number (not visa number) under "Document Number"
  3. Select Vietnam for "Country/Region of Issue"

For the travel visa section, EVA Air gives you the option to leave this blank.  I did and never had any issues checking in.  The staff will check your wife's CR1/IR1 visa at the counter.  They would know that it's a valid travel visa.

Just in case, tell your wife to also be ready to provide your US address.  Not sure if their policy differs by country of origin, but the check-in staff would ask for the US address I'd stay in before giving me my boarding passes.

30 minutes ago, Alex&Jen said:

My husband just recently got his visa approved and will be flying into the States from Honduras. Is this needed for ALL visa holders'? 

This OP's question is airline-specific.  The information required at booking would depend on your husband's choice of airline, although they would probably want his passport details too.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Moved from IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa Process & Procedures to Working & Traveling During US Immigration; topic is travel**

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

4 hours ago, Chancy said:

Pre-COVID times, I flew with EVA Air for all my trips to the US.  From my experience, their check-in staff were very thorough in checking my travel documents.

On the booking page, under Travel Document --

1. Select Passenger Passport for "Document Type"
  2. Enter your wife's passport number (not visa number) under "Document Number"
  3. Select Vietnam for "Country/Region of Issue"

For the travel visa section, EVA Air gives you the option to leave this blank.  I did and never had any issues checking in.  The staff will check your wife's CR1/IR1 visa at the counter.  They would know that it's a valid travel visa.

Just in case, tell your wife to also be ready to provide your US address.  Not sure if their policy differs by country of origin, but the check-in staff would ask for the US address I'd stay in before giving me my boarding passes.

Thanks Chancy, it's just the information I needed.

Also, I will be buying her flight Ticket on EVA Air Website with a Credit Card.  But I heard EVA need to check for the physical credit card that use to purchased the ticket.  Since I can't be there, does a screen shot of the credit card good enough, or if I book online and already paid I do not need to show them the credit card?

1 minute ago, Starkness said:

Thanks Chancy, it's just the information I needed.

Also, I will be buying her flight Ticket on EVA Air Website with a Credit Card.  But I heard EVA need to check for the physical credit card that use to purchased the ticket.  Since I can't be there, does a screen shot of the credit card good enough, or if I book online and already paid I do not need to show them the credit card?

EVA Air recommends to contact their city office prior to the day of the flight for the credit card verification procedure if needed.  Ask your wife to call their office to get clarity on what she needs to present to avoid any hassle during check-in.

Here are the details from their website -- https://www.evaair.com/en-global/public/credit-card-non-card-holder.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.