Starkness

Booking flight for Spouse to come to the United State ( Filling out Travel Document )

29 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Chancy said:

EVA Air recommends to contact their city office prior to the day of the flight for the credit card verification procedure if needed.  Ask your wife to call their office to get clarity on what she needs to present to avoid any hassle during check-in.

Here are the details from their website -- https://www.evaair.com/en-global/public/credit-card-non-card-holder.html

If I book a flight through a Travel Agency, can I skip all this step?

Maybe I will just send her the money so she can book her own ticket.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Starkness said:

I understand the hassle with the credit card but what is your problem with putting in her passport number? That's a pretty standard procedure 

1 hour ago, Starkness said:

I prefer booking directly with the airline as that's the most hassle-free option in case of flight cancellations.  In these uncertain times, flights often get canceled...

Also, they noted on the link I gave you that: "If your credit card transaction has been successfully authorized through Verified by Visa or MasterCard® SecureCode or American Express SafeKey® or JCB J/Secure, you will NOT be required to present the credit card upon check-in at the airport. In addition, the cardholder does NOT need to be one of the travel companions."  Try calling their office to make sure.

But yes, sending your wife the money would be another option.

21 minutes ago, Chancy said:

I prefer booking directly with the airline as that's the most hassle-free option in case of flight cancellations.  In these uncertain times, flights often get canceled...

Also, they noted on the link I gave you that: "If your credit card transaction has been successfully authorized through Verified by Visa or MasterCard® SecureCode or American Express SafeKey® or JCB J/Secure, you will NOT be required to present the credit card upon check-in at the airport. In addition, the cardholder does NOT need to be one of the travel companions."  Try calling their office to make sure.

But yes, sending your wife the money would be another option.

But how do I know when booking on EVA Air website, the credit card will go through authorized Verified by Visa or MasterCard?  Mine is a Visa Credit Card, but on their website it asking for the 3 Digit Code on the back, and in a statement it did say if you have to input that in, you have to have the physical card with it.

I don't want to have to paid for it, then it didn't go through the Verified process I have to Cancel it.

44 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

I understand the hassle with the credit card but what is your problem with putting in her passport number? That's a pretty standard procedure 

It's not problem entering the Passport Number in, even booking through an Travel Agent they still need to do that.  My concerned was the Credit Card problem since I can't really be there or give her the physical credit card and they may Cancel her flight.

Edited by Starkness

19 minutes ago, Starkness said:

But how do I know when booking on EVA Air website, the credit card will go through authorized Verified by Visa or MasterCard?  Mine is a Visa Credit Card, but on their website it asking for the 3 Digit Code on the back, and in a statement it did say if you have to input that in, you have to have the physical card with it.

I don't want to have to paid for it, then it didn't go through the Verified process I have to Cancel it.

Yup, I get your concern as that line on their page does not sound reassuring.  I suggest contacting them directly and asking for email confirmation on what your wife needs to present at the counter if you book online with your card.

https://www.evaair.com/en-us/customer-services/contact-us/contact/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
6 hours ago, Chancy said:

This OP's question is airline-specific.  The information required at booking would depend on your husband's choice of airline, although they would probably want his passport details too.

Thank you for your response. I was thinking it was airline specific, but I will contact the airline he will be flying on just to get clarification. Thanks again

On 9/9/2020 at 1:22 PM, Alex&Jen said:

My husband just recently got his visa approved and will be flying into the States from Honduras. Is this needed for ALL visa holders'? 

On 9/9/2020 at 1:55 PM, Chancy said:

This OP's question is airline-specific.  The information required at booking would depend on your husband's choice of airline, although they would probably want his passport details too.

All travelers to the US are required to provide certain information before check-in. This is known as APIS (advance passenger information system), and is a CBP requirement. If you check in online you therefore provide this on the website, if you check in at an airline desk then the agent notes the details. Different people need to provide different types of information, example US citizens and residents just need basic info and passport details (and green card details if relevant), visa holders also need to provide address in US and maybe other info (been a long time since I had to do that bit). 

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/travel-industry-personnel/apis2

https://www.dhs.gov/publication/advanced-passenger-information-system-apis-update-national-counterterrorism-center-nctc

Edited by SusieQQQ

3 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

All travelers to the US are required to provide certain information before check-in. This is known as APIS (advance passenger information system), and is a CBP requirement. If you check in online you therefore provide this on the website, if you check in at an airline desk then the agent notes the details. Different people need to provide different types of information, example US citizens and residents just need basic info and passport details (and green card details if relevant), visa holders also need to provide address in US and maybe other info (been a long time since I had to do that bit). 

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/travel-industry-personnel/apis2

https://www.dhs.gov/publication/advanced-passenger-information-system-apis-update-national-counterterrorism-center-nctc

Lets say if you book your flight through a Travel Agent and they didn't or forgot to fill out the API, will there be problem or they can fill it in when you check - in?

6 hours ago, Starkness said:

Lets say if you book your flight through a Travel Agent and they didn't or forgot to fill out the API, will there be problem or they can fill it in when you check - in?

It can be entered initially by the travel agent but it is always checked at the departure airport.

Passport details are the minimum needed for the reservation.  The visa (and passport) is checked at the airport.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

6 hours ago, Starkness said:

Not relevant who the flight was booked through. The details needed are collected at check in by the airline (or by you submitting them on the airline website at online checkin).

13 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Not relevant who the flight was booked through. The details needed are collected at check in by the airline (or by you submitting them on the airline website at online checkin).

EVA Air does not allow online check-in for US travelers with a paper visa.  The airline requires that the visa be inspected at the check-in counter at the airport.

16 minutes ago, Chancy said:

EVA Air does not allow online check-in for US travelers with a paper visa.  The airline requires that the visa be inspected at the check-in counter at the airport.

It was a general comment (note I said all travelers) and not aimed at any specific person flying a specific airline. And both options were provided. 

(as a by the way that is obviously very airline specific, I checked in online on a few different European airlines a good number of times with a US visa in my passport. Yes the airline agent checks both passport and visa again at the bag drop desk, but it never prevented me checking in online or filling in APIS data online.)

edit: you may have misunderstood when I said “not relevant who booked through” - that was in response to the travel agent question. To clarify: It is not relevant whether it is booked through an agent or direct with an airline, as the information is collected at check in and not at booking.

Edited by SusieQQQ

1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

It was a general comment (note I said all travelers) and not aimed at any specific person flying a specific airline. And both options were provided. 

(as a by the way that is obviously very airline specific, I checked in online on a few different European airlines a good number of times with a US visa in my passport. Yes the airline agent checks both passport and visa again at the bag drop desk, but it never prevented me checking in online or filling in APIS data online.)

I understand that your comment is a general one.  And I've also wondered why EVA Air does not let passengers save a bit of time by allowing online check-in for visa travel to the US, even if the visa still has to be inspected at the counter.  They let ESTA travelers check in online, though.  Hmph.

But the original topic is about booking a flight with EVA Air.  If the OP and his wife proceed with booking with this airline, they should be aware that online check-in is not an option.  OP's wife should set aside enough time for check-in at the airport.

Just now, Chancy said:

I understand that your comment is a general one.  And I've also wondered why EVA Air does not let passengers save a bit of time by allowing online check-in for visa travel to the US, even if the visa still has to be inspected at the counter.  They let ESTA travelers check in online, though.  Hmph.

But the original topic is about booking a flight with EVA Air.  If the OP and his wife proceed with booking with this airline, they should be aware that online check-in is not an option.  OP's wife should set aside enough time for check-in at the airport.

Ok..I got sidetracked by the questions about flights from Honduras and travel agents...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.