carlovely

Department of State posted about K1 visa - what does this mean?

108 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Babaloo said:

Where you got this info, on K1 as parent of US citizen child is exemption? All moderators here claim it is not exemption.

Ignore the K-1 part of it. It could have been any visa.

A parent of a USC child is exempt from the proclamation and travel bans.

Bans:

(b)  The suspension and limitation on entry pursuant to section 2 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(ii)   any alien who is the spouse or child, as defined in section 101(b)(1) of the INA (8 U.S.C. 1101(b)(1)), of a United States citizen;

Schengen travel restrictions: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-nonimmigrants-certain-additional-persons-pose-risk-transmitting-2019-novel-coronavirus/

Sec. 2Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry.

(a)  Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(iii)   any alien who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21;

27 minutes ago, stuckonyou said:

I was thinking more like that maybe a visa category being considering high priority could mean that it's exempt from the proclamation. Just like other exemptions. Students, for example. Or were students exempt from the beginning in the proclamation?

Students were never banned.

High priority refers to processing priority, not exemptions. Although generally one would not be considered high priority if they are subject to a ban, which is what we are seeing now in those areas.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline
8 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Although generally one would not be considered high priority if they are subject to a ban, which is what we are seeing now in those areas.

Yeah, that's one of the more confusing things about all of this. It's like: "Your visa category is considered high priority. And by the way... you're also banned." 😶

8 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Students were never banned.

Note that they need national interest exception if not otherwise exempt: "those applicants who are found to be otherwise qualified for an F-1 or M-1 visa will automatically be considered for a national interest exception to travel." https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/national-interest-exceptions-from-certain-travelers-from-the-schengen-area-uk-and-ireland.html

45 minutes ago, stuckonyou said:

I was thinking more like that maybe a visa category being considering high priority could mean that it's exempt from the proclamation. Just like other exemptions. Students, for example.

See above. Those students meet following exception: "any alien whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their designees"

52 minutes ago, Babaloo said:

Where you got this info, on K1 as parent of US citizen child is exemption?

The relevant proclamations clearly say that "any alien who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21" is exempt.

28 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Ignore the K-1 part of it. It could have been any visa.

A parent of a USC child is exempt from the proclamation and travel bans.

Bans:

Schengen travel restrictions: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-nonimmigrants-certain-additional-persons-pose-risk-transmitting-2019-novel-coronavirus/

Note that Babaloo is under the wrong impression that Manila is subject to a travel ban:

51 minutes ago, stuckonyou said:

What country are they in? Perhaps it can have something to do with that particular embassy not being open yet or not have started working enough yet or something like that?

Babaloo's case is through Manila, so not affected by travel bans.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Note that Babaloo is under the wrong impression that Manila is subject to a travel ban:

I mentioned that before, people debating etc. I am at travel ban, can not get interviews, been fighting last 4 months, every 2 weeks back and forth emails to embassy, they hardly reply, bad experience. Thats all i can say, this passport has no worth, just a meat for this country.

And i noted before as well, they are raising prices 2 october, so they hold back all cases as much as possible, now they claim they start moving with cases, right, reason is we close to october 2, so goal is achieved an they get more money.

Covid is fake garbage, time to get out of this country.

8 minutes ago, Babaloo said:

I mentioned that before, people debating etc. I am at travel ban, can not get interviews, been fighting last 4 months, every 2 weeks back and forth emails to embassy, they hardly reply, bad experience.

I repeat, Philippines is not subject to the following proclamations: Schengen Area; UK and Ireland; Brazil; mainland China; and Iran. Manila has been doing expedite/emergency cases but the recent DOS update is a good sign for routine K-1 cases:

Screenshot_20200831-155121.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, HRQX said:

I repeat, Philippines is not subject to the following proclamations: Schengen Area; UK and Ireland; Brazil; mainland China; and Iran. Manila has been doing expedite/emergency cases but the recent DOS update is a good sign for routine K-1 cases:

Screenshot_20200831-155121.jpg

Any proclamation that coming out is for the whole world, you can not treat US citizens differently form country to country, what applies to US citizen in Brazil applies to US citizen in China or Africa, other story if you want to go ahead and sue them. Contact your lawyer for further information if you want to be sure.

its not about safety, its about money, they pushed it towards price change at  october 2, thats all. All this covid is garbage story, just to cool down the  economy.

Edited by Babaloo

3 hours ago, geowrian said:

So DOS caused delays on purpose for the sake of USCIS collecting more AOS fees

Always Sunny Fx GIF

DOS is clever like that!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The whole issue with the proclamation is that we were not even considered during its inception. Leaving us all without rights. 

At least we have some sort of status now, despite travel bans. I have emailed London to see what their stance is, I presume it's much the same as other European countries. Did anyone see that air bridge article re: flights to and from major US and UK cities? If that comes to fruition (crazier things have happened), perhaps we will see some of the travel restrictions being relaxed. That's not to say that I don't take the pandemic seriously, I do but I feel like we have the right to see our families, travelling safely like I know we all would. 

I find it so sad to hear that so many of you have children involved in this. It's bad enough being apart having lived with my fiance for 4 years. It puts things into perspective for me. I can't imagine and I'm really thinking of you all.

Also it'd be really nice if people would include their sources, if someone said something in another forum can it be linked? It's hard to take someone's word for it on here unless they are one of the experienced contributors. Everyone wants to see the evidence for themselves.

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom/2020/09/01/us-to-uk-travelair-bridges-possible-between-london-and-new-york/#395c275815aa

Edited by AC_
typo

Timeline

Just letting you know that they updated this page today: https://uk.usembassy.gov/information-for-nonimmigrant-visa-applicants-following-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak/
Unfortunately it still says : We are only able to process visas for spouses and minor children of U.S. citizens (IR-1, CR-1, IR-2 or CR-2). We are not currently able to issue or reissue any fiancé(e) (K-1) visas. This is why it is not possible for you to proceed with your visa application at this time.

So sadly nothing new for k1s. Only part that seems new is the following:

[NEW] I have heard that interview waiver is possible in certain cases. Is it possible in my case?

At this time, Embassy London can accept interview waiver applications for individuals who will be traveling in an official capacity and applying for one of the following visa categories: A-1, A-2, C-2, C-3, G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, NATO-01, NATO-04, NATO-05, or NATO-06.

Due to the Presidential Proclamations that remain in effect, other visa categories are not eligible for interview waiver through Embassy London’s interview waiver program at this time.

Edited by A&D25612

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline
15 hours ago, HRQX said:

That doesn't matter when it comes to if the embassy is open or not, and if they are how far they've come in reopening.

There are embassies in countries affected by the travel ban that ARE open (but of course only processing visas exempt from the travel ban), and there are embassies in countries not affected by the travel ban that are NOT open. Whether an embassy has started opening up has to do with the local conditions in the country, and not with any travel ban. At least that's how I've understood all of this. I don't know about Manila specifically, though.

1 hour ago, stuckonyou said:

That doesn't matter when it comes to if the embassy is open or not, and if they are how far they've come in reopening.

Correct.

I was just pointing it out because their profile area didn't show country and now shows UK when their posting history makes it clear they're going through the embassy in the Philippines: https://www.visajourney.com/profile/366581-babaloo/

Timeline

So I finally got a reply from the London Embassy just now. Unfortunately they still aren't processing k1s or reissuing at this time. I attached their response. Super gutted. 

londonembassy.thumb.jpg.c2e250ac7a1302c6af0ac7b80f5f164f.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.