Dags

Travelling on tourist visa whilst waiting for I-130

286 posts in this topic

Just now, Alexandra Delgado said:

Yes I know, but I don’t have other options because I don’t have enough leave and also I can’t suspend my active duty.

Okay, well in that case I think you will have a much harder time getting a B visa.

Here is my wife's experience:

Immigration at Washington IAD with B2, pending I130, India that happened last week.

Questions:

1. What's the purpose of your visit (visiting my husband with my in-laws and traveling to different states, my in-laws have return tickets and they will be flying back in July)

2. Is your wife a LPR or USC ( He is a USC)

2. How long will you be staying (provided return tickets and date in the last week of Oct, also showed my(USC husband) return ticket as we'll be flying back together to India for a short trip (only I'm coming back)

3. Where does your husband live ( location/etc)

4. What does your husband do for a living (Job type, etc)

5. Fingerprints and enjoy your trip.

My wife got the automatic 6months. 

Some points:

1. She did travel with my in-laws/brother, they are

USC and also temporarily visiting. I am in the US and didn't travel with her, I'm planning to travel back with her in Nov.

2. We prepared all documents before hand incase they were suspicious, small business registration , property docs, NOA1 receipt, marriage cert.

3. She has no real ties to home country unfortunately, like no rent, lives with parents etc. Her small clothing business and Property document was gonna be out Trump card incase she went to secondary, and she had a good $6-7k in the bank which she was gonna use anyways for our trips around the US.

4. She will not be coming back to the US for a very long time as she has to take care of her business and restart operations again.

5. Didn't volunteer any information other than what the officer asked. He never asked about our greencard application, so my wife never mentioned it. I had a call with my wife previously and we practiced questions and what can we expect.

6. Also my Wife got her B2 back in 2016, so it was still valid.

7. Due to unforeseen circumstances, she didn't travel in 2016 to the US. This 2023 trip was her first time ever traveling or the US, and to any foreign country too.

I think my wife got lucky, probably the Officer saw my mom and brother USC and gave him confidence that she's telling the truth maybe, or that she won't do anything bad? Again, speculation. NGL, my wife and I were tensed for at least 1-2months before her trip. We weren't sure what was gonna happen :(. I'm glad things worked out. Now I'll have more proof of bonafide marriage incase we receive an RFE!

But again, my wife won't be doing anything illegal (work/overstay) , don't want to affect future travels or complicate our i130 process In any way.

Good luck to anyone else who is trying!

Edited by umith

On 5/18/2023 at 3:37 PM, umith said:

Here is my wife's experience:

Immigration at Washington IAD with B2, pending I130, India that happened last week.

Questions:

1. What's the purpose of your visit (visiting my husband with my in-laws and traveling to different states, my in-laws have return tickets and they will be flying back in July)

2. Is your wife a LPR or USC ( He is a USC)

2. How long will you be staying (provided return tickets and date in the last week of Oct, also showed my(USC husband) return ticket as we'll be flying back together to India for a short trip (only I'm coming back)

3. Where does your husband live ( location/etc)

4. What does your husband do for a living (Job type, etc)

5. Fingerprints and enjoy your trip.

My wife got the automatic 6months. 

Some points:

1. She did travel with my in-laws/brother, they are

USC and also temporarily visiting. I am in the US and didn't travel with her, I'm planning to travel back with her in Nov.

2. We prepared all documents before hand incase they were suspicious, small business registration , property docs, NOA1 receipt, marriage cert.

3. She has no real ties to home country unfortunately, like no rent, lives with parents etc. Her small clothing business and Property document was gonna be out Trump card incase she went to secondary, and she had a good $6-7k in the bank which she was gonna use anyways for our trips around the US.

4. She will not be coming back to the US for a very long time as she has to take care of her business and restart operations again.

5. Didn't volunteer any information other than what the officer asked. He never asked about our greencard application, so my wife never mentioned it. I had a call with my wife previously and we practiced questions and what can we expect.

6. Also my Wife got her B2 back in 2016, so it was still valid.

7. Due to unforeseen circumstances, she didn't travel in 2016 to the US. This 2023 trip was her first time ever traveling or the US, and to any foreign country too.

I think my wife got lucky, probably the Officer saw my mom and brother USC and gave him confidence that she's telling the truth maybe, or that she won't do anything bad? Again, speculation. NGL, my wife and I were tensed for at least 1-2months before her trip. We weren't sure what was gonna happen :(. I'm glad things worked out. Now I'll have more proof of bonafide marriage incase we receive an RFE!

But again, my wife won't be doing anything illegal (work/overstay) , don't want to affect future travels or complicate our i130 process In any way.

Good luck to anyone else who is trying!

Thank you very much for your reply! It gives us a little bit of hope, happy to hear good experiences!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**One hijack post removed. Please start your own thread if you have your own question.**

VJ Moderation

Edited by millefleur

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi all! Does anyone have any experience with applying for an ESTA while waiting on an I-130? 

We want to do a visit in the next few months while putting our NVC documents together. I also need to pick up our marriage certificate for my eventual interview. Any experiences from anyone? 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, rubym2020 said:

Hi all! Does anyone have any experience with applying for an ESTA while waiting on an I-130? 

We want to do a visit in the next few months while putting our NVC documents together. I also need to pick up our marriage certificate for my eventual interview. Any experiences from anyone? 

Thanks!

Yes. No issues at all with getting the ESTA approved. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone 

I am planning to visit my husband in Texas with pending i130,  i already have a visitor visa for USA. 

Is there anyone who travelled to USA recently from Toronto Pearson and what all questions they asked ? 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
On 6/30/2022 at 6:52 PM, intothelight2021 said:

Do you normally go through together or separately?

We always go as a family and use the non-citizen line. Granted, we also have small children so we prefer to go together. We have not yet travelled to the US since we submitted the I-130 but I think we would still go together, using the non-citizens line.

The reasoning: some border officers may find it funny (i.e. question your partnership) if you go separately. Having the US citizen right there may alleviate some of their concerns and would also allow the border officers to ask him/her questions, should they have any. It would also allow your US citizen partner to corroborate your statements. I do not really see any downside to this approach (but maybe I have a blind spot there, if so, let me know lol).

The reason we use the non-citizen line is that some border officers do no appreciate if non-citizens are in the line for citizens (since they technically should not be there), even if they are part of the family. We have experienced that and were also told the same by one or two officers. Yes, it will probably be a longer wait but it may be worth it. Some border officers in the past were appreciative that we chose the non-citizen line "even if you did not have to".

Just my two cents.

Kind of late reply but your comment is excellent.  I can tell you the agents in the field appreciate the consideration and respect. 

• 5 weeks later...

My wife has held a B-2 visa for the past eight years and has made numerous visits to the U.S. during that period. We also have an I-130 application in process. My question: What happens if my wife is in the U.S. on a visit if/when the I-130 is approved? Would she have to make an extra round trip to her home country to take possession of the sealed envelope w/  documents and return through U.S. immigration with it? 

2 hours ago, fusion58 said:

What happens if my wife is in the U.S. on a visit if/when the I-130 is approved? Would she have to make an extra round trip to her home country to take possession of the sealed envelope w/  documents and return through U.S. immigration with it?

I-130 approval is only the first part of the process.  Next is NVC document submission and review, then consulate processing including visa medical and interview.  Consulate interview can only be conducted outside the US.  Check the official DOS visa process flow to familiarize yourself with the next steps -- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition.html

Please start a new thread if you have further questions on the visa process.  This thread is only about US travel on ESTA/B visa.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

Adding our experiences (because reading all your alls good experiences really helped our nerves!): 

- My wife is Chilean, we all live in Chile 

- She used to be a GC holder through our marriage, but we moved to chile about 4 years ago, and now are in process to move back to the US 

- She applied for and got a 10 year B2 visa last december, she had overstayed by a couple weeks on accident as a teenager, so that is why she couldnt use ESTA and had to apply for a B2 visa. We had not applied for the I-130 at that time, but she did have "risks" of being married to a US citizen and having 2 US citizen kids. But there was no issue with the approval of her B2 visa. 

- We all entered the US in April through JFK (before applying for the I-130): the CBP officer was a very harsh with us becase we all went to the US citizen line (because we asked and they told us to), but she said my wife wasn't a citizen and shouldn't be in this line so she chewed us out a bit. My wife was then called to the back room and another officer was super chill and just asked her about the ESTA thing and her old green card, and then let her pass through without problems. 

- We visited the US again just now in October through LAX (after applying for I-130), we were going to go to the visitors line as a family to not repeat the problem, but they saw us and said again we should go to the US citizens line as a family. This time the officer was very nice and only asked if she was a GC holder or not, and how long our stay was. Took our pictures and passed us through. Didn't mention anything about I-130, old GC, or ESTA issue.

I do think each additional visit she makes and comes back to Chile will make it easier and easier for the CBP to pass her through. So we were very happy with the last visit! 

Engaged: 2016-11-07

K-1 Visa Process
I-129F NOA1: 2016-12-05
I-129F NOA2: 2017-05-05
Interview Date: 2017-07-14 (Approved!)  

Married: 2017-08-08

AOS Process

I-485/I-131/I-765 NOA 1 : 2017-08-26

AOS Interview: 2017-12-08 (recommended for approval) 

Received Two Year Green Card: 2017-12-16

Moved back to Chile: 2019-09-01 

Abandoned Green Card: 2020-08-17 

IR-1 Visa Process

I-130 Filed Electronically and Online Reciept Notice: 2023-06-04 

NOA1 Recieved in Mail (with recieved date as 06-04-2023): 2023-06-10

On 8/13/2023 at 2:34 AM, Jasmine John said:

Hi everyone 

I am planning to visit my husband in Texas with pending i130,  i already have a visitor visa for USA. 

Is there anyone who travelled to USA recently from Toronto Pearson and what all questions they asked ? 

My mom came for a visit for almost two months from Toronto Pearson June this year and no questions asked. Her I-130 just got approved last month. She came to visit me twice while her I-130 was pending. 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I was referred to this forum by a friend who suggested I ask this question here. I hope I'm posting it in the right place.

Background:

I (Philippine citizen) have been living and working in the UAE for over 10 years, and my USC husband has been here for 6 years. We've been together for 4 years and married for 7 months. I had applied for a B2 visa back in September 2022 with the intent to meet my then-boyfriend's (now husband's) family in the USA. However, because of the very long queue of applicants in the UAE, the earliest we could schedule the interview appointment was November 2023, over a year away.

Instead of waiting until after we visited the USA, we got engaged last December and married this past April here in the UAE, with both our families in attendance. We decided not to cancel the B2 visa application because we'd still like to be able to visit his family. We have no intention of leaving the UAE to live in the USA yet as my husband has a job here for the next couple of years, but as we realize the process will take a long time we decided to start. We have since begun looking into the I-130 process (through Boundless) and we are expecting to receive the application package for USCIS sometime this week.

Situation:

I went to my B2 visa interview at the US consulate today and I was approved for 10-year multiple entry. We would like to visit my husband's family for a few weeks in spring 2024, but by that time we would have already filed our I-130 application. Would I be allowed to enter the USA on my B2 visa after submitting the I-130? And if I do enter the US on a B2 visa, how would that affect the immigration process? I hope someone can help us with this. Thanks in advance!

Edited by RedAndSharpe
Missing detail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.