Dags

Travelling on tourist visa whilst waiting for I-130

285 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Alxndr23 said:

I’ll have to check with my wife but I don’t think they stamp canadian passports

You don’t need to even look at the stamp, you can just pull the I-94 travel record online and it will provide entry and validity dates.  It’s free and provides instant results. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
14 hours ago, A&J22 said:

They stopped stamping all passports as of this past November I believe, they're going digital.

Ok thanks.  I didn’t think she had a stamp in her passport.

• 1 month later...

Thought to share our experience. Husband had a B1/B2 tourist visa interview scheduled in March in Singapore. He wanted to come visit me since I just gave birth to our daughter. We disclosed on the application that we had applied for CR1. At the interview, officer asked about the CR1 application and my husband shared that it was under process. Officer asked questions about our marriage/how we met/where we live. Application was approved granted we email a few additional documents. We sent the documents and he received the visa a few days later. He flew to the US the next day after receiving the visa. Entered the US in SF, officer just asked where he was coming from, how long he was here and purpose of his visit. So you can get a visit visa even if you applied for CR1!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Wanted to see if anyone has had any experience traveling to US on B2 visa while waiting for Consular Interview?

We reached DQ and waiting for my wife's CR-1 interview. She already has a B2 visa which was issued while I-130 was in process.

With current trend, we don't expect to hear about the interview before Sept and planning to travel to US for couple of months in summer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
5 minutes ago, sharadbh said:

Hi,

Wanted to see if anyone has had any experience traveling to US on B2 visa while waiting for Consular Interview?

We reached DQ and waiting for my wife's CR-1 interview. She already has a B2 visa which was issued while I-130 was in process.

With current trend, we don't expect to hear about the interview before Sept and planning to travel to US for couple of months in summer.

Welcome to the forum!

Your wife is eligible to enter with use of a valid B2 visa.

If questioned at the port of entry, she can say, "I'm staying for two months so that we can build further evidence of our bona fide relationship before the CR-1 interview that we expect in the fall."

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...

Hello, everyone! I, as a beneficiary from Romania,  am thinking to visit my husband in Florida, US for as long as a B1-2 can afford, but I’m afraid I won’t be allowed entering in US since I don’t have ties to my home, and also I have never traveled to Us before.We have a pending I-30 and are at USCIS stage. I want to see if any of you had a positive experience or got denied visiting their spouse while having a pending visa and have never visit the country before. I saw from some comments that Atlanta airport gives you a hard time. 

58 minutes ago, Alexandra Delgado said:

Hello, everyone! I, as a beneficiary from Romania,  am thinking to visit my husband in Florida, US for as long as a B1-2 can afford, but I’m afraid I won’t be allowed entering in US since I don’t have ties to my home, and also I have never traveled to Us before.We have a pending I-30 and are at USCIS stage. I want to see if any of you had a positive experience or got denied visiting their spouse while having a pending visa and have never visit the country before. I saw from some comments that Atlanta airport gives you a hard time. 

I would think they may scrutinize a bit since you have a trifecta going on: no travel history to the US, no ties to home country, and a pending 130. I would assume that Romania is not a high fraud country, though, but that’s a total assumption. Coming from a country that is not high fraud would be a plus. If I were you, I’d travel through an airport with pre-clearance, though —that way, if they deny you entry, you do not get hit with a removal, which would then require a waiver. Do you have your B visa already?

My husband and I delayed our 130 for that reason — we wanted to make sure he established a good travel history to the US (just a few visits), and then submitted. I know that doesn’t help you now, but may be helpful idea for others. He has not had any problems entering with our pending 130 so far (we have had 2 trips here since, and have a third planned for next month, so hoping we still have good luck). 

6 minutes ago, BLC said:

I would think they may scrutinize a bit since you have a trifecta going on: no travel history to the US, no ties to home country, and a pending 130. I would assume that Romania is not a high fraud country, though, but that’s a total assumption. Coming from a country that is not high fraud would be a plus. If I were you, I’d travel through an airport with pre-clearance, though —that way, if they deny you entry, you do not get hit with a removal, which would then require a waiver. Do you have your B visa already?

My husband and I delayed our 130 for that reason — we wanted to make sure he established a good travel history to the US (just a few visits), and then submitted. I know that doesn’t help you now, but may be helpful idea for others. He has not had any problems entering with our pending 130 so far (we have had 2 trips here since, and have a third planned for next month, so hoping we still have good luck). 

Thank you!! 
No I didn’t apply yet for a tourist visa because I wanted to see first if it’s a good idea. I’m working as a police in my country and If I’ll apply for a tourist I will quit my job, also my husband it’s military, so I’m thinking that can be a plus since he can be found easily.

3 hours ago, Alexandra Delgado said:

Thank you!! 
No I didn’t apply yet for a tourist visa because I wanted to see first if it’s a good idea. I’m working as a police in my country and If I’ll apply for a tourist I will quit my job, also my husband it’s military, so I’m thinking that can be a plus since he can be found easily.

You’re welcome! I actually think a job as a police officer would be considered pretty decent ties to the country —at least a really good starting point! My husband always comes prepared with proof of ties at the border, just in case —these are the things he brings (hoping this can help give you some more ideas): his lease application (he lives with his brother while we wait out this process, so wasn’t on the actual lease his last trip), birth certificate for his son who lives in UK with him, and a letter showing he receives a monetary government benefit. Not having a B visa yet will be a bit of an obstacle, but definitely not impossible! I have heard of people receiving their B while 130 is pending; lots get denied too, though. There are just so many variables with these processes lol

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, Alexandra Delgado said:

Thank you!! 

As long as you are totally honest with your intentions and do not misrepresent, there will be no harm to apply for one. Many people do for the same reason as you. but almost everyone gets denied. It will most likely just be a waste of money and time. But you could get a tourist visa and meet in another Country like Canada.

10 hours ago, Alexandra Delgado said:

Thank you!! 

Quitting your job at the time you apply for a tourist visa is not particularly smart.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.