theatxbombayguy

Aug 2020 I-751 Filers (merged)

681 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dzfiction said:

Congratulations! Best of luck! When did u file your case please?

We filed on August 24, 2020. However, I’ve been reading posts at other I-751 groups and it seems that you can be stuck in “Ready for an interview” status for months. Everything depends on how many people are in the queue for your local office. 

On 7/8/2021 at 6:44 PM, Alexa210 said:

We filed on August 24, 2020. However, I’ve been reading posts at other I-751 groups and it seems that you can be stuck in “Ready for an interview” status for months. Everything depends on how many people are in the queue for your local office. 

August 7th is our filing date and we just had the biometric a couple days ago! This MSC office is really really slow I see.Well, hopefully you won’t have to wait that long :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I filed on 8/17/2020 and got my ASC letter for a Biometrics appointment on 7/13/2021. My case number also starts with MSC. 

I was also able to apply for my N-400 naturalization which I filed last month. Guessing these biometrics will be reused for that application as well. 

Glad to see things moving in some small measure for a few of us! 

22 hours ago, torontoim said:

I filed on 8/17/2020 and got my ASC letter for a Biometrics appointment on 7/13/2021. My case number also starts with MSC. 

I was also able to apply for my N-400 naturalization which I filed last month. Guessing these biometrics will be reused for that application as well. 

Glad to see things moving in some small measure for a few of us! 

I’m assuming that you’re still under a conditional green card right ?How can you file for citizenship before getting the 10 year green card ? Did you send them a copy of the expired one ? If yes, I did not know that was possible!!!

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Dzfiction said:

I’m assuming that you’re still under a conditional green card right ?How can you file for citizenship before getting the 10 year green card ? Did you send them a copy of the expired one ? If yes, I did not know that was possible!!!

I’m still on my conditional 2-year green card with an 18 month extension from my I-797 Notice of Action after filing my I-751 application for Removal of Conditions. You can apply for naturalization earlier if you marry a US citizen, the wait time to file a N-400 for Naturalization as a US citizen spouse is 3 years and you can apply for naturalization while you’re I-751 application is in progress once you hit 90 days from the 3 year mark of getting your green card. 

Edited by torontoim

18 minutes ago, torontoim said:

I’m still on my conditional 2-year green card with an 18 month extension from my I-797 Notice of Action after filing my I-751 application for Removal of Conditions. You can apply for naturalization earlier if you marry a US citizen, the wait time to file a N-400 for Naturalization as a US citizen spouse is 3 years and you can apply for naturalization while you’re I-751 application is in progress once you hit 90 days from the 3 year mark of getting your green card. 

3 year process time for naturalization???? That’s new !!! Thanks for the feedback!

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Dzfiction said:

3 year process time for naturalization???? That’s new !!! Thanks for the feedback!

Yep. For US citizen spouses, it’s 3 years to apply for naturalization, for everyone else it’s 5 years.

Timeline

15 minutes ago, torontoim said:

Yep. For US citizen spouses, it’s 3 years to apply for naturalization, for everyone else it’s 5 years.

Being married for three years is only part of the requirement for Naturalization, you also have to of been living together for three years,

I married my US wife in May 2017. Soon after, we started the Spousal Visa process. In Oct. 2018 I arrived in States with a CR1 Spousal visa, and started living together with my US Wife. In Aug of 2020 I applied to have the conditions removed. I'm not eligible to apply for Naturalization until

Oct 2021......three years after we have been living together. I'm currently in the "Ready to be scheduled for an interview" stage

Timeline
21 minutes ago, TGP said:

Being married for three years is only part of the requirement for Naturalization, you also have to of been living together for three years,

I married my US wife in May 2017. Soon after, we started the Spousal Visa process. In Oct. 2018 I arrived in States with a CR1 Spousal visa, and started living together with my US Wife. In Aug of 2020 I applied to have the conditions removed. I'm not eligible to apply for Naturalization until

Oct 2021......three years after we have been living together. I'm currently in the "Ready to be scheduled for an interview" stage

The requirement is for 3 years of living in the United States together with your spouse after receiving your conditional green card, not 3 years of marriage to your spouse.

I’m a similar timeline to you. I got married in April 2017, applied for a CR1 visa which I received and activated in August 2018 when I moved to the US to live with my spouse which set the 3 year clock for me to apply for naturalization. I applied for removal of conditions last summer. However, you don’t have to wait until exactly 3 years after you activate your CR1 visa (conditional green card) for your N-400 naturalization application. 

You as a US citizen spouse can apply exactly 90 days (not one day earlier) prior to the 3 year anniversary of getting your green card and living with your spouse as long as you’ve met the minimum US residency requirement in each of those 3 years. https://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-early-filing-calculator

An absence of more than 6 months (more than 180 days) but less than 1 year (less than 365 days) during the period for which continuous residence is required (also called “the statutory period”) is presumed to break the continuity of such residence. (https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-d-chapter-3)

I was eligible to apply for naturalization in late May 2021 for a conditional green card issued in August 2018 with the 90 day early filing provision. With the timeline you described you shouldn’t have to wait until October, you might be able to file this month! 3 months can help cut into the long processing times for N-400s (which can still take over a year). 

Edited by torontoim

Timeline
8 minutes ago, torontoim said:

There requirement is for 3 years of living in the United States together with your spouse after receiving your conditional green card, not 3 years of marriage to your spouse.

I’m a similar timeline to you. I got married in April 2017, applied for a CR1 visa which I received and activated in August 2018 when I moved to the US to live with my spouse which set the 3 year clock for me to apply for naturalization. However, you don’t have to wait until exactly 3 years after you activate your CR1 visa (conditional green card). You as a US citizen spouse can apply exactly 90 days (not one day earlier) prior to the 3 year anniversary of getting your green card and living with your spouse as long as you’ve met the minimum US residency requirement in each of those 3 years. https://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-early-filing-calculator

An absence of more than 6 months (more than 180 days) but less than 1 year (less than 365 days) during the period for which continuous residence is required (also called “the statutory period”) is presumed to break the continuity of such residence. (https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-d-chapter-3)

I was eligible to apply for naturalization in late May 2021 for a conditional green card issued in August 2018 with the 90 day early filing provision. With the timeline you described you shouldn’t have to wait until October, you might be able to file this month! 3 months can help cut into the long processing times for N-400s (which can still take over a year). 

That's good to know.

If I proceed with the N-400, I can submit it late Aug.

My thought process in applying for a N-400, while still waiting on an I-751 interview, is the combining of both applications into one interview. I've also read that applying for a N-400 during the I-751 process can expedite your application(s).

Regardless, I'm not anticipating a quick interview here in L.A., most likely will take over six months to get one.

You mentioned that you assume that they will use your already submitted Biometrics for your N-4000, did you omit the Biometrics fee from your N-400 application? It makes sense that they wouldn't need to do another needless Biometrics. But, I would hate to have the application sent back because I made the mistake of assuming that logic was involved :)

Timeline
3 minutes ago, TGP said:

That's good to know.

My thought process in applying for a N-400, while still waiting on an I-751 interview, is the combining of both applications into one interview. I've also read that applying for a N-400 during the I-751 process can expedite your application(s).

Regardless, I'm not anticipating a quick interview here in L.A., most likely will take over six months to get one.

You mentioned that you assume that they will use your already submitted Biometrics for your N-4000, did you omit the Biometrics fee from your N-400 application? It makes sense that they wouldn't need to do another needless Biometrics. But, I would hate to have the application sent back because I made the mistake of assuming that logic was involved :)

My bad (math)....you're right I could apply later THIS month

Timeline
5 minutes ago, TGP said:

That's good to know.

Yep, I’ve read on here that it does expedite the application in some cases and that in some cases the applications are merged into a single case with 1 interview for naturalization. 

I paid the biometrics fee twice just to err on the side of caution since they were part of the fees for both applications. I’d rather pay twice than have an application rejected on the off-chance that my assumption is wrong. I have read on here that people had their biometrics from the I-751 process reused for their N-400 application.

I didn’t get my biometrics appointment for the I-751 until after I was eligible to apply for my N-400 for naturalization so I just paid twice. Had my biometrics appointment today. Now just have to wait for the next step. 

Edited by torontoim

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.