LeoUSA

Mailing address madness

40 posts in this topic

When my wife and stepdaughters card came it show up in informed delivery as “two pieces of mail that can’t be scanned “ on delivery day.  

if you have been at that address awhile the mailman should be able to match the name with the correct box.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
18 minutes ago, LeoUSA said:

I am panicking now. I think this is not going to go through to my mail. I can't believe I have to pay for their mistakes 

Just wait for the tracking number, you don't need informed delivery to track your package if you have the tracking number. The odds of the number not working are probably kinda slim, I was just unlucky with mine.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
1 minute ago, jskibo said:

When my wife and stepdaughters card came it show up in informed delivery as “two pieces of mail that can’t be scanned “ on delivery day.  

if you have been at that address awhile the mailman should be able to match the name with the correct box.  

Yes, if the name is on the mailbox. We have seen several cases where new immigrants didn't think to put their names on the box and the mailman didn't deliver the card for that reason. Even when the address itself was correct.

Just now, Scandi said:

Yes, if the name is on the mailbox. We have seen several cases where new immigrants didn't think to put their names on the box and the mailman didn't deliver the card for that reason. Even when the address itself was correct.

Not really.  I assume the regularly get mail even if it’s junk mail.  If he delivers there everyday it’s fairly easy to match

mrs new resident 

123 Main

everywhere, KS

to 

mrs new resident 

123 Main 

Apt 2f

everywhere, ks 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, jskibo said:

Not really.  I assume the regularly get mail even if it’s junk mail.  If he delivers there everyday it’s fairly easy to match

mrs new resident 

123 Main

everywhere, KS

to 

mrs new resident 

123 Main 

Apt 2f

everywhere, ks 

I don't know how long you've been around this forum but we have seen several cases where the greencard were never delivered because the new immigrant's name was not on the mailbox (several cases from back when I filed too, always apartment buildings). New immigrants have typically not lived in the US for long and probably don't get much mail in their name by then and the mailmen don't know them. Also, our neighborhood has several different mailmen, many have no idea who I am despite the fact that I have been living here for years now. 

OP, The name needs to go on the mailbox to make sure you have done everything you could to get this right. It's not a guarantee, but at least the mailman will have something to go by when the apartment number is missing.

Edited by Scandi

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Scandi said:

I don't know how long you've been around this forum but we have seen several cases where the greencard were never delivered because the new immigrant's name was not on the mailbox (several cases from back when I filed too, always apartment buildings). New immigrants have typically not lived in the US for long and the mailmen don't know them. Also, our neighborhood has several different mailmen, many have no idea who I am despite the fact that I have been living here for years now. 

OP, The name needs to go on the mailbox to make sure you have done everything you could to get this right. It's not a guarantee, but at least the mailman will have something to go by when the apartment number is missing.

I live in a compound. mailing boxes are all together in one place. do you think its better to write my name on a paper and stick it on the outer or inner side of the mailing box?

17 minutes ago, Scandi said:

I don't know how long you've been around this forum but we have seen several cases where the greencard were never delivered because the new immigrant's name was not on the mailbox (several cases from back when I filed too, always apartment buildings). New immigrants have typically not lived in the US for long and probably don't get much mail in their name by then and the mailmen don't know them. Also, our neighborhood has several different mailmen, many have no idea who I am despite the fact that I have been living here for years now. 

7 years....

Timeline
1 hour ago, LeoUSA said:

I live in a compound. mailing boxes are all together in one place. do you think its better to write my name on a paper and stick it on the outer or inner side of the mailing box?

Outside, so it's easily visible and won't be missed by the mailman.

49 minutes ago, jskibo said:

7 years....

Then you know exactly what I'm talking about, as there has been no way to miss this issue as it's so common.

4 hours ago, LeoUSA said:

guys does me being enrolled in USPS informed delivery service help in any way? 

dont panic. if you have informed delivery in your area than it will show in your email on the day of delivery. Relax it will be fine 

duh

Timeline
44 minutes ago, James120383 said:

dont panic. if you have informed delivery in your area than it will show in your email on the day of delivery. Relax it will be fine 

even if the apartment number is not mentioned in the mailing address?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
4 hours ago, LeoUSA said:

I am panicking now. I think this is not going to go through to my mail. I can't believe I have to pay for their mistakes 

You will get the tracking number, I would talk to the mail man before the actual day and tell him about the package, just make sure you track it every 2hrs once the package get to your town and wait for the mail man to show up

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Tonald said:

You will get the tracking number, I would talk to the mail man before the actual day and tell him about the package, just make sure you track it every 2hrs once the package get to your town and wait for the mail man to show up

I called USCIS today but still no tracking number to be found. I will keep calling until I get one. Thank you!

5 hours ago, LeoUSA said:

suggest tent right next to the mailbox then 

duh

Timeline
2 minutes ago, James120383 said:

suggest tent right next to the mailbox then 

I promise if I could get the tracking number and know what day will they arrive, I will tent right in front of the mailbox

Edited by LeoUSA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Czech Republic
Timeline
8 hours ago, LeoUSA said:

Hello,

So my status changed to "My card is mailed to me" and I contacted USCIS to get a tracking number which was not yet available. I found out during the call that my apartment number was not mentioned even though I put it in the mailing address TWICE. So now my card was sent without an apartment number to my address.

What will happen now? I am enrolled in the USPS informed delivery. will that help? Should I contact USPS? please advice

Thank you

Is your name on the mailbox? Mine GC showed on the informed delivery but I live in the house so that might makes the difference. My informed delivery is 90% precise but there was some mail that did not show on it and arrived, at the same time I do not know how many they missed. Right now, all you can do is keep an eye on it and become best friend with your postman!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.